Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on Local Broadband Wireless Licenses

• 06-05-2004 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

In Nov '03 ComReg announced 59 New Licence Offers for Local Broadband Wireless Services.
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/PR061103.pdf

For the Galway area (where I live) I noticed that 4 different companies have been granted licenses, 1 for each channel, A, B, C and D.

What does this mean to the ordinary punter like me that lives in a rural area that will never have wired BB?
    Does it mean that all 4 plan to offer service in the area?
    Also what is the difference between the four Channels?

I have already talked to Irish BB and they say they plan on deploying within 5km of Galway city in the next few months, but that is no good to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

They should be able to cover you, the licenses they bought (rented) should easily cover 10+ miles from the city (if you have line of sight)....

The thing about those licenses was there was this big hoo hah about them and since then ........ nothing ..... fuck all. A pity really because of the volume of people who are only crying out for wireless BB.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

if your waiting on any of those, who knows how long it will take them before they decide to do something. For all we know, they could do a chorus on us and not bother there arses rolling out wireless.

Your best bet is to try hooking up to the GalwayWAN.

www.irishwan.org/board/

Where are you located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

The companies granted licenses in Galway are Irish BB, Leap, Chorus, and Budget Wireless.
    I contacted Irish BB a few months ago and they said they would rollout within 5Km of Galway city in mid 2004.
    I sent an e-mail to both Leap and Chorus, Leap were prompt with their reply and said they would rollout before the end of the year, no more details though. I don't expect much from Chorus, especially after Eurorunners comment 'they could do a chorus on us'....what do you mean Eurorunner, what is the history there?.

As for Budget Wireless, I cannot even find a website for them, does anyone know who they are or what the hell they do?.

Eurorunner , with regard to IrishWan.org, I am familiar with them, but right now I am looking into what the guys that got the licences are planning on doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I would have thought that you would stand a reasonable chance of getting hooked up to the WAN if your South of the City??

Ref. Chorus - chorus held licenses until last year - they were tying them up and not using them when they should have been put back up for grabs...

Advertisement