Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*WHY* "metricicate" speed limis?

Options
  • 06-05-2004 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello Everybody,

I was listening to yet another piece in the radio today about the forthcoming “metricification” of speed limit signs around the country later this year.

I was wondering if anyone knows the reason why this is being done? I’ve heard many people say it’s because the E.U. is forcing the Irish government to do it but nobody seems to know *why*!

Is there an actual benefit for the Irish road-using population to doing this?

Or is it like other road signs where all distances have been changed to kilometres even though if you ask anyone how far it is to somewhere, 99.9% will answer in miles!?

I see only problems with forcing people to learn a whole new set of speed values and believe it’s all a complete waste of money. As always, it’s very easy for others to find reasons to take and spend *my* (tax) money!

So, can anyone educate an ignorant hick like me as to why a perfectly good system of measuring speeds (miles-per-hour) *has* to be changed? (Other than being forced to do so, that is).

Tommy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by TommyK
    I see only problems with forcing people to learn a whole new set of speed values and believe it’s all a complete waste of money. As always, it’s very easy for others to find reasons to take and spend *my* (tax) money!
    You get used to it very quickly just like those euro yokes. My bike has a readout in Km/h and it took maybe 3 weeks to get used to it.
    So, can anyone educate an ignorant hick like me as to why a perfectly good system of measuring speeds (miles-per-hour) *has* to be changed? (Other than being forced to do so, that is).
    Because it's fun hearing people bitch and moan abotu changes which don't really affect their lives in any significant way, and then watch them try to defend their position 6 months after the change. :D

Seriously? It's because mph is out of date. You have to learn to metricise....man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

I can think of better things to spend the money on though - like the roads for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Seamus Brennan was on Morning Ireland this morning. Seemingly there are 40,000 road signs around the country that will need changing. Now an estimation there on the basis of €50 per sign, an hour per sign labour at €15 a throw plus expenses of say €10 per sign (Diesel, transport etc.) will bring the bill to €3 million.* Now one bonus that I can see is that they are also looking into the standardisation of those idiotic speed limits set by local councils on dual carriageways which will be incorporated into the new system of speed limit signs.

*That's just an uneducated guess at the costs, feel free to correct me.

You'd think they could just paste the new limit on top of the old sign with super glue...
    *..rushes of to patent that idea....*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

No doubt it's been looked into. Or perhaps respraying a coat of white paint over the signs and subsequesntly the figures on top of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by seamus
    It's because mph is out of date.

Yes, but *why*!? What exactly has changed that makes mph out of date? The only thing I can see is that lots of people just *say* it is! Not exactly a great reason for spending €3m or whatever it will cost! :(

And why can't speed limits be standardised in mph anyway? Why would *that* require such a fundamental change?

If it ain't broken, why "fix" it!? :)

Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

For a long time I've seen it as nutty that we measure distance in km and speed in mph. As long as we don't go back to fourteen pecks in a wibble or whatever it was (I was born in 1975 so I grew up with metricity) I wouldn't mind all the distance signs changed back to miles but I'd like to see the same system used for both for simplicity.

That's as good as I can do I'm afraid. Weren't we supposed to standardise everything in metric by 1975 before we got that extended exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

I think if the speedos in cars go to Km per hour it's gonna confuse the crap out of the older generation. I can think of 4 people i know off hand that are going to be driving along and REFUSE to accelerate to 100 on the clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

eh, the vast majority of cars have dual mph/kph on the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Well to be honest it will be nice to have a proper global standard...most of the world uses metric. australia, india, mainland europe.

I betcha the yanks wont change though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You can guarantee that as soon as the speed limits change to Kph, the NCT will include a check to ensure that all speedo's read in KPH..

My digital speedo can be changed over at the press of a button..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yeah, Krusty I'd say you are right, bu I'd imagine it will only apply to cars registered after 1 January 2005 - from that date forward all new cars must have km-only speedos.

I favour this measure, actually. Distance in kms and speed in miles is mad stuff altogether. Mph as a metric is 'on its way out'. At some point it will be replaced by kph. Might as well do it now as some time in the future.

And I don't think it will take people a long time to convert. Certainly anyone under 30 should be fairly familiar with both measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

My digital speedo can be changed over at the press of a button.

Off topic for a sec - what car you driving Krusty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Many moons ago when we voted for Maastricht it was part of the package, as was the Euro, the european court of justice, european police force etc.

Therefore if you go to UK apart from the obvious lack of euro, they wont be changing to kmh

Are cars with MPH only speedo's going to be allowed thereafter - I don't think mine has KpH marked and I don't really want to fit a non-original speedo after spending all that money getting the car restored :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

afaik they will be offering stick on transfers, I know that that could lead to a margin of error.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can just learn the equivalent MPH of the usual speed limit steps

ie 60 MPH = 96.5 KPH (probably gonna be rounded to 100)
    40 MPH = 64 KPH (probably gonna be rounded to 65)
    30 MPH = 48 KPH (probably gonna be rounded to 50)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First off, there is a general move towards metrification, but more importantly, seeing as they will be changing the limits, it makes sense to do both at the same time.
    I see only problems with forcing people to learn a whole new set of speed values
    What you mean people will need to look at the sign on the side of the road and/or road conditions now? None of this constant driving at 35/65mph anymore? :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Genghis
    Yeah, Krusty I'd say you are right, bu I'd imagine it will only apply to cars registered after 1 January 2005 - from that date forward all new cars must have km-only speedos.
    Actually, I understnad the proposal is that all be speedometers be metric dominant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

the main reason is harmonisation with the rest of Europe, as previously stated its also has to do with EU policy and Maastricht also it comes at a convienient time as Mr.Brennan and his Dept are conducting a review of speed limits on certain roads and this just happens to coincide with the changeover to Km/h although this was due to be carried out on the night of 31 September/1 October this year Mr.Brennan recently admitted that they wouldnt now be done on this date(sumtin to do with getting all the signs produced on time) but promised this will be done by the end of the year.....start holding your breath now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

I haven't been to Ireland since 1998, but I remember at that time it being a guessing game as to whether the next distance sign would be miles or kilometers. Have all (or the majority) of distance signs now been converted?

It is somewhat illogical to have distances in km and speeds in MPH, but I have to ask why change either?

There have already been calls here in Britain to metricate the roads, and when Ireland has finished the conversion I can see the bureaucrats jumping up and down, and saying "Look, even Ireland has changed to kilometers now, so we should too!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

In my opinion the move to Metric has to be done at some stage. As a child of the eighties I was raised with metric, I Know how high I am in centimetres, what weight I am in Kilograms how and the size of a metre by eye.

I have no idea how long a mile is how may pounds are in a stone. The only thing I know how to convert is 1 pint=568ml.

I do know however that a kilometre is 1000 metres and can calculate speed to distance and time almost straight away if. When all the people like me who cant read imperial or understand why their are 12 inches in a foot are the only ones driving then it would make sense to change but by then you would be used to miles and would have to get used to a new system all over again.

My opinion is just get it out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

40 MPH = 64 KPH (probably gonna be rounded to 65)

It will be actually 60km/h

should be km/h long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

Next thing the EU will wants us to drive on the wrong side of the road!

can you for once just accept some changes and stop protesting about something that will never happen

i bet you were protesting against high rise/m50 ext/kildare bypass etc

let's build high buildings

noo!!!!, this will block sunshine to sheriff street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Originally posted by Gmodified

HAHAHH!! brilliant! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

can you for once just accept some changes and stop protesting about something that will never happen

i bet you were protesting against high rise/m50 ext/kildare bypass etc

let's build high buildings

Eh no, I welcome bypass's just wanna stay non-metric you big bad man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

there's sunshine in this country? :D
    driving on the correct side of the road? ;) nah, will never happen

people with jap imports will be happy:)

that's me:D too

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Wrestlemania
    I ... just wanna stay non-metric
    Could I ask why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Wrestlemania

We already do that. Maybe one day we will drive on the right side of the road ;)

Advertisement