Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc help (win 2000 usb modem problems etc )

Options
  • 06-05-2004 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

I installed windows 2000 (with sp) on a friends machine but in device manager under other devices where these which had no drivers and i couldn't find any in windows 2000 or the sp

*Ethernet Controller
    *Multimedia audio controller
    *pci device x 2
    *pci input device
    *video controller (vga compatiable)

I was trying to install a netopia (used for eircom broadband) modem but when i go to install it has an option for ethernet card or usb however the usb is shaded out and can't be chosen as an option. I clicked the ethernet option but it searches and can't find it. I plugged the usb connection into all usb ports but it doesn'yt finbd it and in device manager there is no usb mention at all.

I am going to try and get drivers for the various devices online and opened the pc to manually take down make and serial. The pc is a standard dell demension 8250. Any advice/links/tips on how to rectify my problem would be greatly appreciated

*Creative labs, model number - sb0200, serial msb0200240149483

*VGA Card- Rev a01,cn-05h775-69702-2k-2879

*56k modem - broadcom - a02 -0499jp

* 4 of the usb ports were connected to the mobo as opposed to being a card, bel 0812-1 x 1 it -030244wmib

*The other 2 usb ports had also a network card port, foxcomm 2usb/wet

Any help would ge greatly appreciated, i'm gonna search for drivers and such now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Basically you need to find the drivers for these devices.

I'm not sure where to get them online...maybe someone else knows where the best drivers website is.

The CDs that came with the PC originally should have driver disks with it and you should search these, or alternatively try the manufacturer's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Try www.driverguide.com/ for drivers. You may have to register but they have a huge database of drivers. Do you have the original installation cds? If so, install the drivers and software from there before you plug the usb cable in. Also try the manufacturers site for updated drivers or try a google search for the drivers. Make sure you're logging in as administrator aswell so as you can install and update whats needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

This pc didnt come with a driver cd or a windows cd, believe that ? dreadful but anyhow i got it working except then the monitor conked out which i truly dunno why, i wasnt ****ing about with it or unplugging etc while **** was turned on. I rang dell and got them a new monitor under the warrenty. I do find it a problem tho in that i've installed win 2k with sp on 2 different pcs and both needed me to manually go get chipset or vga drivers which is annoying.

Advertisement