Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus Lights - Nice or Naff?

Options
  • 06-05-2004 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Once upon a time rear lights were standard or standard with black spray paint over them. Then along came the Lexus 200 with its funky clear glass effect rear lights.

I did'nt like them, thought they were flashy and just a bit too in my face. Hated the look of the whole car but thats another thread!

Anyway the boy racers quickly took the look to thier smokey hearts and the after market boys were quick to knock out immitations for bog standard cars at outrageous prices and now they are as common as muck.

So do you have them and do you wish fewer of your fellow hot-hatchbackers did and if you dont have them what do you think? Nice or Naff?

Heres a pic for the 3 ppl who dont know what they are!

BM61L694%20E46%20LEXUS%20REARS.jpg

Mike.

Lexus Lights: Nice or Naff 21 votes

Nice
    0% 0 votes
    Naff
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

On some modified cars they look crap, but on others they look nice. If I get a car, I'd probably get some.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The 'lexus' lights look good on a Lexus, Mazda 6 & seat (Ibiza?).
    *All* aftermarket variants look cheap - never seen a good pair.
    I also apply my views to people copying BMW Angel Eye lights onto another car. If you wanted a BMW then get one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I meant to vote naff instead of nice . Far too many off them on cars these days can look alright on some cars but on the whole i wouldn't bother with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sounds weird but I think they're kinda creepy. Remind me of the cover of one of Asimov's robot books (which was kinda creepy).

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

naw bud they look pure daycint on me orange 1986 starlet GT biy. Pure class.

if you want lexus lights, get a lexus. otherwise you run the risk of looking like a muppet. that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Naff, definitely, unless as previously stated, they are on the car they were designed for.
    Now where will i get twin round bmw headlights for my civic.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

sadus in extremus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

and all you naff boys, how many of you have boring standard cars?

Lexus lights can look good on certain cars, and ofcourse can look $hite on others. Its all about colour coding. On my focus I have smoked rear clusters, I had the option for lexus lights but I taught they were too flashy for the style i was after. On the other hand if I had an RS focus, the front of the car is a blue and crystal contrast, so at the back a set of lexus lights would be nicer fit than a set of smoked clusters

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I think they look well on some cars, the 206 down the road from me has a set and they look class but too many boy racers have them and they give them a sad image, i was gonna put some on my focus but seen one the other day and it looked crap with them and i dont thinks theres anything wrong with the standard focus rear lights anyway.

In fact most idiots make a mess of modifying there cars and go way over the top, a nice set of alloys usually sets a standard car off nicely and bobs your uncle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by kbannon
    I also apply my views to people copying BMW Angel Eye lights onto another car. If you wanted a BMW then get one!!

Maybe they don't want one....maybe they just want the lights.

You don't drive one by any chance, do you? You never seem to mention it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by herbie747
    Maybe they don't want one....maybe they just want the lights.

You don't drive one by any chance, do you? You never seem to mention it.
    I drive two of them actually!
    I don't like the idea of someone ruining any car by putting parts from a different car onto it. I expressed an opinion - apologies for doing so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

2? I had absolutely no idea. You should mention it more....

I don't like the idea of someone ruining any car by putting parts from a different car onto it.
    You don't get to drive one of these then. (7MB Windows Media video. Turn the volume up. Cry.) ;)

From DeadEndCruisers.com. Check out the Willys gasser in "Big John Mazmanian" and the chick in the musclecar. Nyom.

adam

Originally posted by herbie747
    2? I had absolutely no idea. You should mention it more....
    sarcasm doesn't suit you!
    Are you still pissed off at me (for some unknown reason)?
    did you not read the advice I gave you before?
    from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116326
    Youre just jealous.

Herbie, go out and get laid (ie have one off the wrist) and stop being such a miserable **** :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

at least i found one reason to buy BMW

Headlights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Are they both old?
    I don't like the idea of someone ruining any car by putting parts from a different car onto it. I expressed an opinion - apologies for doing so!

Originally posted by leonotron
    Are they both old?
    depends on how you define old!
    1997 523i
    1989 320i SE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Lexus lights are ONLY good on one car; a lexus....

All you're doing is buying what every other tom, dick & harry has for their 'one off' cars... not very one off when you all have the same lights... meanwhile people like Roy Barber from Icetronix are creaming it in from unwitting fools who part easily with their cash for his overpriced parts......

This country for custom parts for cars is a JOKE & Icetronix are the biggest rip off artists going all while fools ride around in cars with overpriced A.M. parts, dodgy fittings & over-priced garbage boot systems from the jokers.... all while these guys laugh their a**es to the bank with YOUR hard earned cash....

I mean - Lexus Lights here are 2-3 times the price they are if you hunt around the UK for them, even after delivery..... even for custom paint jobs we are being fleeced here. One of my mates does flip paints & charges ALOT less than the established jokers people go to for them.....

Rip Off Ireland + people too fast to part with their cash + joker custom car shops = complete joke..... Icetronix, more like SH*TETRONIX..... couldn't wire a sound system for love nor money..... & their bass boxes are sh*tbox too!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Umm... correct me if Im wrong, but

lexus lights(except on a lexus of course) = nct failure

and please, not anecdotes, show us/me the actual rules/legislation covering this kind of modification to a car. A link would be nice.

The NCT rules are not on the web.
    Anyway, the NCT checks for working lights not their arrangement, so as long as there are the following lights on the back of the car, then all is well:-
    two red driving lights
    two red brake lights
    two amber indicators
    one or more white reverse lights
    one or more red fog lights
    [reg plate lights]

• Advertisement

Modifying your car DOESN'T constitute an NCT failure, unless you bump up the power with some induction kits etc etc & don't re-register the car's new power ratings. As long as EVERYTHING is fitted & up to standard, it'll pass.

I've had mates put heavily modified Riceroni's through NCT's & them pass with flying colors. As long as you do your wiring right, & not have duct tape all over the gaff (as I have seen under the hoods of some cars!), have ALL the paperwork in order, & have ALL the tested parts in working order with ALL electrics kept tidy & tucked away tidy, there isn't a problem....

trouble is there's alot of hacks out there with custom cars & the way they're done under the bodywork apart from the fact it bordering on dangerous is sloppy, untidy & looks like something a blind paralysed infant has done means they've shag all hope of passing an NCT, & everytime they turn the engine over they're stepping closer to having a faceful of pistons at some stage......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

yet another thread to slag off modified cars.

as for Lexus lights - they are now standard on most new cars in some shape or form.

new VW Golf
    Fiat Stilo
    Mazdas

lets not forget the next style - clear rear lights, as seen on ;

Dublin Bus
    &
    Lexus RX300 PIC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

I think, most lights imported from US are NCT failure (front headlights only ) due to light geometry as they simply drive on other side of the road.

rear tail lights are OK

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

When I was in the market for buying lexus lights for my rover 200, i thought to myself "damn ttheyre just too common".... So I went for the alternative, 'Snake Eye Lexus lights'... There's silver on the outline of the light box, and the lenses are clear. They look better than standard lexus lights.

Pic: http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/00/ac/9b/60_1.JPG

Christ, wouldn't fancy them at all. No offense like.

adam

Originally posted by JohnCleary
    When I was in the market for buying lexus lights for my rover 200, i thought to myself "damn ttheyre just too common".... So I went for the alternative, 'Snake Eye Lexus lights'... There's silver on the outline of the light box, and the lenses are clear. They look better than standard lexus lights.

Pic: http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/00/ac/9b/60_1.JPG

Now these aren't bad, but even these are becoming kinda common as many others are finding Lexus-style lights tacky & 'everyone-else-has-them'. There's a few other styles that I haven't seen around - must go digging through my catalogues.... I've a Scoob to do up come August

what do yas think of smoked rear lexus lights? is that what you call em

rearcluster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

ive been looking for some lights for my civic. The only tail lights that are available for are these...

http://www.icetronix.com/images/taillights-civic01large.jpg

Which are alright... but i want them to be completely white :/

like the... rx 300 i think it is? Man that jeeps lights are just mint, ill get a pic :)

Mark5 civic = disaster to mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

While we're on the topic of lights... Does anyone know where one could purchase modified headlights? I've seen them on a few cars before... it consists of small spot-light look headlights, where there is panel filling in the rest of the space, which would be colour-coded to your car

• Advertisement

Originally posted by JohnCleary
    Does anyone know where one could purchase modified headlights? I've seen them on a few cars before... it consists of small spot-light look headlights, where there is panel filling in the rest of the space, which would be colour-coded to your car

are you talking about xenon lights?

xenon.jpg

If so they are a very expensive mod

Advertisement