Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network install Windows?

Options
  • 06-05-2004 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Anyone know if it's possible to clean install windows from a file share?

It would make life alot easier if i could just carry around a boot floppy in times of need...I was able to network install smoothwall linux before

Darragh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

You can do it if you're on a domain - look at RIS on the MS web site.

Basically you need to have a RIS boot floppy (easily done) for the client. You also need to have the RIS server installed on your server and authorised in Active Directory. DHCP and DNS also has to be installed so the clients can get IPs. There's other requirements such as the installation files have to be on a seperate partition to the server's boot partition and so on.

That's MS's answer, not sure if there are third party alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

arse to RIS

just boot to dos, you'll need dos drivers for the nic

connect to network drive with the setup files and start the install from there... winnt.exe or whatever depening on the OS.

or if you have a ghost image on the file share just boot of the floppy and run ghost point it to the shared image and wal la

i'm sure people will have another 101 ways to do it without installing win2k server, setting up Active Directory,RIS,DNS and the other random ****e RIS depends on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

One important Emboss forgot to mention, run Smartdrv from a Win98 boot disk before you start a network setup.

This will speed things up A LOT!! ( you're talking about the difference of about 10 minutes with smartdrv.exe to a couple of hours without smartdrv.exe for the 16bit file copy mode)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

i did indeed forget that very important!

thanks colm

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

PXEboot enabled BIOS and Altiris deployment server...

By far the best solution I've ever come accross.. Made my life very very easy in my last job.. Bit on the pricey side but if you've got a lot of machines its invaluable..

You'll never have to leave your seat again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement