Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone hear Ian Paisly Jr. on Morning Ireland today [6th May 2004]?

Options
  • 06-05-2004 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Doubt this will prompt deep discussion as it really is a "love him or hate him" sort of guy but he blatantly refused to refer to Archbishop Brady using his proper title. Instead he constantly referred to him as "Mr. Brady".

And he'd probably be the first to correct you for not referring to his father as Dr. Ian Paisley.

It really is a shame that in this day and age certain politicians are still insensitive and ignorant towards other cultures and systems. I say this because you can rest assured that there are no doubt republicans of equal power who would refer to seniorities of the Church of Ireland with such dismissal of importance. It's so childish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Neil3030
    It's so childish.

it goes far beyond childish.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

Anyone with a title in their name deserves to have that title used by everyone, no matter what religion they are, no matter what nationality they are.

I hate Paisley Snr and Paisley Jnr. There's only one word for them: evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Well, his oul fella called Bradys boss "The Antichrist" live on telly in the EU parliament.

By the astonishing standards of Ian senior the young fella was sensitive and statesmanlike. BTW Has anyone seen the oul fella preaching beside Belfast City hall on a Saturday ?

M

nope.. what's it about?

Anyone with a title in their name deserves to have that title used by everyone, no matter what religion they are, no matter what nationality they are

Actually, no they don't. Its an option to use, but at the end of the day, its up to that individual to decide. There is no law that states that i have to call a bishop by his church title, or call an officer in the army "Sir/general" etc. Its just Tradition that suggests that we call church members by their Church rank.

This is not really anything to do with Paisley as such. Its just people looking for scandel.
    I hate Paisley Snr and Paisley Jnr. There's only one word for them: evil.

I can think of many words for them. Evil is a bit of an absolute though. Pathetic, dishonest, crinimal, dodgy etc. Take your pick.

• Advertisement

I chose evil because I needed one word to combine all of their "charming qualities".

Originally posted by klaz
    Actually, no they don't. Its an option to use, but at the end of the day, its up to that individual to decide. There is no law that states that i have to call a bishop by his church title, or call an officer in the army "Sir/general" etc. Its just Tradition that suggests that we call church members by their Church rank.
    That may be so , but it is common decent curtesy to address them as Father or your Grace or ArchBishop or Reverend or whatever, just as it is to open a door for a lady and let her through before you go through yourself :)
    Ian Paisley junior to be honest was only displaying his ignorance,by going on the way he did and yes I did hear the interview.
    Cáthal McCoille actually repeatedly asked Ian Paisley to stop calling him mr Brady and to refer to him as ArchBishop Brady, but he ignored him.
    It shouldn't matter a penny candle whether you are of their religion , or not or none, It's just being curteous and respectfull.
    Unless one has a particular reason for not showing the person curtesy other than a disagreement with their religion.
    I was brought up to show respect even for those that I disagree with,I don't always abide by that,I'm only human after all, but I don't believe that one should go out barefaced to do the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

i've seen Ian Paisely a few times giving press releases and making comments on tv news etc...

never liked him..
    he always looked like a banker (with a W) to me

he's the kind of narrowminded fool that would slow down the peace process in NI

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ian Paisley junior to be honest was only displaying his ignorance

Oh I don't know. I'm quite sure he knew exactly what he was doing and made a concious desicion to do it. That makes him more stupid than ignorant in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Originally posted by Memnoch he's the kind of narrowminded fool that would slow down the peace process in NI
    Slow down ?
    Try 'prevent'
    Cromwell pales in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I can think of many words for them. Evil is a bit of an absolute though. Pathetic, dishonest, crinimal, dodgy etc. Take your pick.
    Paisley has been a lot more than a pain in the neck in NI. In fact he has been one of the driving forces behind unionist sectarianism in the last 40 years. He single-handly turned whole communities of unionists against their nationalist neighbours in the north. He has preached in a very "evil" manner for a long time. Its only because of his age and the progression in the north that people have started laughing at him. But for a time there he was seriously preventing catholic civil rights etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Originally posted by Gurgle
    Slow down ?
    Try 'prevent'
    Cromwell pales in comparison.

well I did say he was a Banker (with a W)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I would have just used the word 'Bigot' since it sums that particularly pathetic family up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    Paisley has been a lot more than a pain in the neck in NI. In fact he has been one of the driving forces behind unionist sectarianism in the last 40 years. He single-handly turned whole communities of unionists against their nationalist neighbours in the north. He has preached in a very "evil" manner for a long time. Its only because of his age and the progression in the north that people have started laughing at him. But for a time there he has opposed to catholic civil rights etc etc

Not to mention that he was the best recruiting tool the IRA ever had (apparently) and thus further divided and polarised the communities

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I can't to get my doctorite and arrange a meeting with Paisley.

"Ah, Mr. Paisley. Dr. Dundon is my name, it's a pleasure to meet you.... "

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't call him evil as such. Bigot is a good word.

I would believe that his only interests in the north are those of power. He doesn't really care about the real issues, rather he chooses to play upon people's belief and fears in the issues, to make himself more popular. He's a showman.
    Plenty of people have commented that once the cameras are off, Ian and Gerry chat and talk to eachother, but once the public can see him, he's hissing and spitting and denouncing Gerry's evilness.

It's not in his interests to support the peace process. He feeds upon people's fear, upon their uncertainty. The peace process is a direct threat to everything that gives him his power. And that's all he's interested in. He's the embodiment of selfishness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I think Paisley, Jr. was being a jerk, too, in calling Archbishop Brady "Mr Brady". Other ways of sounding like a jerk are to insist on saying "Sinn Fein/IRA" and always saying "Roman Catholic" instead of just "Catholic". I think each practice exposes a mind-set that isn't too attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Personally I refuse to refer to the likes of the Bean Baron as Sir Anthony. It's Tony O'Reilly as far as I'm concerned.

And can anyone refer to that slapper Stephanie from Monaco as 'Her Serene Highness' with a straight face?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by TomF
    [BOther ways of sounding like a jerk are to insist on saying "Sinn Fein/IRA" and always saying "Roman Catholic" instead of just "Catholic". I think each practice exposes a mind-set that isn't too attractive. [/B]

I'm trying to figure out why distinguishing Roman Catholics from Byzantine Catholics and Eastern Rite Catholics makes one a jerk.

They are seperate religions, which are not clearly distinguished when one refers to them as "Catholic".

But hey. Don't let that stop you.

I suppose any Muslim who would prefer to specify the particular "flavour" of Islam they follow is also a jerk in yoru book? And Protestants too?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 majorharry

Both Paisleys are the epitomy of bigotry and the Junior version certainly knew what he was doing when he refused to have the common decency and give the churchman his appropriate title. Paisley and his attendant zealots represent only a small selection of Ulster Protestants and are loathed by many. These people would close swimming baths, stop sports and disable tv, if possible, in their quest to maintain their sabbath.
    The tragedy is that, on account of continuing IRA activities, the majority of Unionists voted for them in the recent elections.
    How I despair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Neil3030
    Doubt this will prompt deep discussion as it really is a "love him or hate him" sort of guy but he blatantly refused to refer to Archbishop Brady using his proper title. Instead he constantly referred to him as "Mr. Brady".
    Didn't Gerry Adams once refer to "Mrs. Windsor"?

Anglicans refer to themselves as catholic (the adjective not the noun).

Advertisement