Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Temple Pilots

Options
  • 06-05-2004 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

I've read a lot of articles of guys slamming them but are they actually cheap Pearl Jam "rip offs" or one of the best bands ever?

I simply cannot get enough of them. Core, Purple and Tiny Music are probably my 3 favourite ALBUMS, not just STP cds.

The De Leo brothers are stunning guitarists (bass and lead). Dean never plays the same solos twice and they are very innovative.

The drums on tracks like "Vasoline" and "Army Ants" really stand out and use some very striking tom work in the main riff.

And Scott? What can you say. He's brialliant. Such a versatile voice.

I'd put my ass on the line and say they are my favourite band this year (cos we all know favourite bands suffer an annual realignment).

Check their albums out if you haven't already and feel free to oppose anything I've said. I just think they ****ing rock and don't deserve half they stick they get.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

I've never actually listened to them, but was gonna get an album. I'm not that big a pearl jam fan, just have "ten" somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They're unfairly maligned alright. They were a decent band, they don't sound like Pearl Jam, that's for sure. The last two albums (4th and 5th) were good quality too, well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

A great band! I've never heard any bad reviews on them. Weiland sometimes has trouble singing live cos he expends so much energy running around. Great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

They are quite good. Their albums seem to have a high percentage of good songs. Real good ones, esp Purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sadly STP are no more. Weiland also appears to have abandoned plans for a second solo album to focus on work with Velvet Revolver.

The DeLeo brothers are indeed two of the most talented musicians working in modern rock. Check out the versatility they display in their songwriting and also their ability to switch instruments from song to song. My impression has always been that they were classically trained though I don't actually have anything to back that up.

STP never really sounded like Pearl Jam. To be honest none of the bands from that early 90's era really do. That all came out of the video for Plush in which Weiland does a pretty good impression of Eddie Vedder.

Erick Kretz is an incredible drummer also. You should check out the Talkshow album for the music alone. There are some incredible riffs on there but it also showed how, without Weiland, there just wasn't that chemistry that made them great.

I'd be happy to say that Purple is my favourite album of all time. And if anyone wants to tab out the solo for And So I Know... I'd be much obliged!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

i was a late stp bloomer, i remember thinking they were an alice in chains rip off, never gave em the time of day, then about 4 years ago, actualy bought an album, now i've em all................

....... great fcuking band!

have you heard the acoustic verision of plush on the new compilation, v good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I haven't listened to them in ages, a good solid band I'd say
    went to see them way back in the day, very good live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

ah come on, there was a slight vedderishness about weiland's voice on Core. Any album after that theres no resemblance at all.

I used to like STP but they always seemed like a second rate band, theres something "also-ran" about them. just my opinion, though.

what i did think was cool was that the purple album came on purple vinyl (hence the name...). weird colour vinyl is definitely cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

See the new Slither video yet? He looks quite different now, very very thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Originally posted by Neil3030
    I've read a lot of articles of guys slamming them but are they actually cheap Pearl Jam "rip offs" or one of the best bands ever?

In my opinion...neither. Having said that its years since i listened to them. I found their first two records kinda good.

They released an album mid 90s with a really long title. I loved that one. Really different to previous albums. Some found it strange, probably cos of all the smack that the boys were doin at the time...

It had a crackin pop/rock single called big bang baby. Great track. I think they peaked on that album but the trad grungies out there would probably disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Originally posted by Earthhorse
    And if anyone wants to tab out the solo for And So I Know... I'd be much obliged!
    :)
    Thats an amazing solo. What a song. Thats one hell of a record! Im lookin at it now on allmusic. "Tiny Music...Songs From the Vatican Gift Shop"

If anyone hasnt heard this album, get it.

Its one of those solos that even if you could play the notes you still be a long way from really playing it. Really intricate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I caught the Slither video on Kerrang! over the weekend. The song's not unlike Sex and Hotrods (I think that's the one anyway) by STP. I was expecting the music to be more traditional G 'n' R but it's a bit bland to be honest.

Weiland works out quite a bit now apparently which has affected his physique (I'm sure it's not the only thing!). His face looks pretty bad though.

Advertisement