Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom3 vs Halflife2

Options
  • 06-05-2004 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Friend just gave me Doom3 Beta3, i think <-- i sthis illegal, anyway i installed it, i dont know if this wrecked it for me but Graphics look brilliant but apart from that gameplay seems excellent, everything seems so big (like the way street fighter characters were on arcade and sega comapred to the snes[so small]) everything looks big and butch, just gives it a cool touch.
    My ATI 9600pro fortunatley handled it, anyway Halflife2, all the hype and what not, i havent played it but even comapring the screens shots, doom3 seems to look better, halflife2 gameplay sounds good too, but theres something about doom3.

And btw i though doom3 was better than halflife2 before i played it.

Which game ? 41 votes

Half-life 2
    0% 0 votes
    Doom 3
    100% 41 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its only fair you add in Farcry as thats up there with the new licensable (word?) engines the other 2 are ...i mean games :)

I dunno about either anymore, i was excited but all the delays are not helping eithers case, last time i seen one of the HL2 producers he was saying they got superb eye animations (wtf?)that help you in the game. And Mr Carmack has got a bit too caught up with what the engine can do for future games and tech rather than the one hes making.

I was excited and looking forward to both but not anymore Farcry has been a revelation to me as i was expecting a standard FPS with nice graphics.

Kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Hmmm,
    as I haven't played either Yet I can't really comment,suffice it to say I've seen in game trailers for both and it was the way Half Life 2 MOVED not necessarily looked(tho' it's not too shabby at all) that impressed me...not to mention the potential for the advancement of Mr. Freemans story (by the way..have you seen the trailer with the facial animations for HL2???don't think doom 3'll come close on that count)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Farcry, hmmmmm, i dunno, i have FarCry, it doesnt come anywhere close to either of them in my opinion, but il add the poll if i can edit it.
    As for the difference, playing doom3 but have a mental impact maybe on my opinion but i seriously do feel it is going to be better than Halflife2, Halflife 2 might just end up being over rated with all the hype, facial animations and what not, il be too busy shooting them in the face to see the facial animation ! But i guess graphics are important but i hope they arent as annoying in Halflife 1, the professors at the start, blabbing away NON STOP !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The graphics engine for Doom could possibly be superior to that of Half Life 2, but the real world environments look so much better that a metallic spaceship!!

HL2 owns DOOM 3 :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Placebo
    i havent played it but even comapring the screens shots
    Pff, no way can you just compare screenshots.
    Download the Halflife2 gameplay AVI (~600MB) and it'll blow you away.
    The whole engine is just amazing, although Doom3 might be ahead in terms of eye-candy - HL2 can do some very funky sht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Doom3 has a sparkly realism to it, in that it looks really cool and real, but NOTHING really looks like that, even in dark like shadows are that defined perfect. Half-life2 looks nothing short of real, a real real, not a sparkly real, seriously, some screenies its hard to tell if its not a photograph, no Doom3 screenie Ive seen even looks remotely real, they do look damn pretty tho. And the engine for HL2, omfg, its gonna be amasing when the MOD community gets their hands on it properly, possabilities are utterly endless.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If someone reminds me I'll come back here to post once I've played both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

heh, i'd say unreal 3 will be out before both of em :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Actually walking around in Half-life 2, feels really....dull or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Placebo
    Friend just gave me Doom3 Beta3

Dont suppose you wanna stick it on a cd for me and post it to me and ill give you my opinion??? :D

*hates not having BB*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

I’m sure real fans of PC games will buy both anyway. But I've gone for Doom III in this poll because the original Doom was the best game I ever played. It was a genuine giant leap.

BTW. A friend of mine in the know believes the games are ready. They have been asked to wait by various hardware manufacturers so that they can cash in on the expected surge in upgrades.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metroid Prime 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Metroid Prime 2
    damn straight:)

the original metroid prime is a far superior game to either Half-Life or Doom (Doom2 was crap imho)
    fingers crossed that the whole 'lose your powerups at the start and spend the rest of the game regaining them' formula doesn't get stale. (Zero Mission began to bore me tbh)
    out of the 2 in the poll, Half-Life 2 looks the most promising. purely because of the striders:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Originally posted by full forward
    I’m sure real fans of PC games will buy both anyway. But I've gone for Doom III in this poll because the original Doom was the best game I ever played. It was a genuine giant leap.

BTW. A friend of mine in the know believes the games are ready. They have been asked to wait by various hardware manufacturers so that they can cash in on the expected surge in upgrades.

Dont know how true that is, but if it was then they are scum. Theyve made enough on upgrades already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by full forward

No way thats true they make too much cash of the engine licence and its not available to buy yet, when it sout other games will start production using their engines.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

neither is out yet so i don't want to speculate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

both of that Genre so it will be hard to decide which to fork out for first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    both of that Genre so it will be hard to decide which to fork out for first
    ???? What the choice is simple HL2 will have some excelent mods and online play - while on the other hand doom seems to have only a DM and it will be limited to 4 player:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    ???? What the choice is simple HL2 will have some excelent mods and online play - while on the other hand doom seems to have only a DM and it will be limited to 4 player:mad:.

pretty sure the limit is only for the xbox version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

I think that HL2 looks more realistic. Doom 3 seems to have the better shadows, but from what Iv'e heard these lighting/shadow effects are only really effective under small spaces and not open enviroments.

Looking at hl2 it looks pretty versitile when it comes to different sized enviroments, and all the texture detail and facial movements add to the realism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Tusky
    pretty sure the limit is only for the xbox version.
    I'm not sure myself but I think it's also for the PC - Id didn't want to spend much time on netcode - I believe it's also a session based game i.e. waiting rooms:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

About the 4 person limit on Doom 3, I've heard that mentioned, aswell. In the last QuakeCon all the multiplayer was limited to 4 players. Apparently they wanted to get back to the original pace of the original doom, nice and personal. The 4 person limit is too prevent what some people refer to as "clusterf**ks" where in a crowded map some git come accross other people and places a rocket in the centre of them finishing them all off and stealing kills. 4 player limit will make DM more skillful and duel like.I think it is a good move, if other gametypes are around then they could accommadate more players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

When I first saw this thread, I thought it was going to be a joke. Doom3 is little more than an engine demonstration - Half Life 2 is the game (and whats more, the engine will probably be at least as good). All Doom3 has is some fancy shaders and an opportunity to shoot stuff.

On the other hand, the story was what made Half Life 1 great, and when Gabe Newell was asked to compare the stories of Half Life 2 and the original, he likened it to Lord of the Rings vs. The Hobbit. If you think you can compare Doom3 and Half Life 2 by checking out screen shots, then I think you need your head examined because this is about so much more. And I personally don't really think Doom3's plasticated machinery is as nice as Half Life 2's open environments.

Do poor old Doom3 a favour, and compare it to something less advanced, like Stalker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

tbh if you want mad mindless violence, I seriously doubt that Doom3 will give it, with graphics like that I doubt you will fight more than 8 or 9 enemies at a time, if you want proper violence, go do yourself a favur and get painkiller, finished it today, excellent game. Or if you want something on budget, cant beat Serious Sam Gold if you want a lot of monsters to splat, only £10 or so if i remember right for the gold edition (1 and 2).

Where did you play these games Mr Angry, please tell. :rolleyes:

From the both betas, my impressions so far, are that Half-life 2 is overated, and all the physics get boring very quick. Doom held my interest longer, but again, betas......

Originally posted by Giblet
    Where did you play these games Mr Angry, please tell. :rolleyes:

From the both betas, my impressions so far, are that Half-life 2 is overated, and all the physics get boring very quick. Doom held my interest longer, but again, betas......

Well, for starters, I did play the Doom III alpha from around this time last year, but I haven't downloaded the evil Half Life 2 leak because I'd rather not ruin my experience of the game when it comes out. However, I'm going purely by what the developers themselves are saying. Allow me to elaborate:

1) When has John Carmack / iD ever produced a game with a gripping storyline?
    2) He freely admits that the storyline will be virtually identical to the original Doom, and will consist of little other than mindless killing.
    3) Half Life was reknowned for its excellent storyline and character interaction.
    4) Gabe Newell insists the storyline is going to be even better in HL2.

All this points to Doom III being mindless killing, and Half Life 2 being a very engaging game. Now, perhaps you choose to base your opinion purely on action and minute graphical detail, but I don't. Again, perhaps your opinion is derived from some leaked betas of which I have no experience, but I'm happy to believe the opinions of the creator of the game, who happens to have the most extensive knowledge of its content in the world, over somebody who has toyed with some leaked betas, hyped as it may be. Sorry.

Ah I see, you don't have a clue. Doom III follows the original story written for Doom, read the manuals for Final Doom to see what these are, it's a military experiment to transfer good across space through slipgates, but it goes wrong, and beings from hell escape through. These slipgates can only be closed by using a "quantum accelerator"

Thats all I remember for now, it's been years.

Valve have only made one game remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Actually walking around in Half-life 2, feels really....dull or something.
    Thats mainly because, in the beta, most of the scenery wasn't there, and the walls weren't finished.
    Ah I see, you don't have a clue. Doom III follows the original story written for Doom, read the manuals for Final Doom to see what these are, it's a military experiment to transfer good across space through slipgates, but it goes wrong, and beings from hell escape through. These slipgates can only be closed by using a "quantum accelerator"

Thats all I remember for now, it's been years.

True. According to the trailers (including the one on Doom3.com that's what is going to happen.

ID have made a number of games, and they supported "mods" of Doom2, but not given much support outside of a level builder.

Valve have gone so far into the making of mods of Halflife, that games have been made of those mods (counter-strike to condition zero).

=====

Both games have gotten into a bit of diffuculty about going through the "tester" phase, mainly due to the leaks of the beta's/alpha's, and not wanting additional leaks. Thus, it may not be for a while yet. Also, these type of games will usually come out just before christmas, to ensure a big selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Id say doom3 will be more of a claustrophobic, corridor style shooter. Lots of wandering around dark rooms and having some hellspawn jump out of nowhere and scare the sh!t out of you. HL2 will be good, but after all the slippages and valve apparrently admitting the whole source code theft thing wasnt the reason for the slippage, people are beginning to lose interest. Doom 3 all the way baby, the daddys back :D

• Advertisement

Gee, thanks Giblet. You've clearly demonstrated the depth of the Doom storyline by summing it up in one short line. Which is exactly my point. If you really honestly believe that Doom III will contain the same depth of storyline and character interaction as Half Life 2, then fair enough - I wont bother trying to change your mind. But I don't see any logic behind that at all.

Precisely. One game. One game that was voted "Best PC Game Ever" on GameSpot. iD have developed several games, none of which really had any storyline to speak of.

Advertisement