Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranieri for Liverpool ?

• 06-05-2004 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Well, now that it seems Jose Mourinho is on his way to Stamford Bridge, should Liverpool try and get Ranieri for next season?

If, (and it's a very big IF at this stage) Houllier goes in the summer, I think Ranieri would be a pretty good replacement. Who knows what's going on in Martin O'Neill's head, is he holding out for the Man Utd post?

Ideally I'd prefer Mourinho to be the next Liverpool manager, but I'd be quite happy to see Claudio have a go. Anything is better than having another season under GH as far as I'm concerned.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Space Coyote
    If, (and it's a very big IF at this stage) Houllier goes in the summer

didnt they give him 30 million for a summer spending spree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Houllier is safe for the next 12 months it seems ( even if that money is an illusion). It would be interesting to se what Ranieri could do but would he er tinker with a squad thats had its head messed about with quite enough? We need a no-nonsence chap like Mourinho or Hector Cuper

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Space Coyote
    should Liverpool try and get Ranieri for next season?
    Why Ranieri? Seriously, what has he done to impress you? He tends to play players out of position too.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

what's he done to impress? how about taking a pre-chel$ki chelsea to fourth in the league with almost no money....didnt see GH doing that last year...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/83573/1/.html
    The Russian however seems undeterred and another huge lump of cash is to be released to buy the best talent available this summer.

Mourinho has acknowledged that turning unlimited funds into a winning team is not as easy a task as it appears. He has even made it clear he would prefer to manage a club like Liverpool.

Quick someone tell him.....we're desperate!

edit> Was this already in the news, did I miss something?!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

originally posted by eirebhoy
    Seriously, what has he done to impress you?
    He hasn't done anything spectacularly brilliant, but his calmness and diginty under severe pressure all season is commendable. He seems a very genuine chap, he gets on well with the media and he is liked by the Chelski fans, even if he did balls-up their chances of getting to the CL final. He rarely makes tactical mistakes, (Monaco 1st leg is the only one I can think of in recent times) and he prefers to play quick attacking football, and not to the detriment of defense (31 clean sheets this season) even if he does chop and change a little too much with his forwards.

As opposed to Houliier, who can only be described as a twat. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Why Ranieri? Seriously, what has he done to impress you? He tends to play players out of position too.;)

Yeah like Veron, anywhere other than left back.....

...left back on the team coach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    what's he done to impress? how about taking a pre-chel$ki chelsea to fourth in the league with almost no money....didnt see GH doing that last year...

Yeah, pipping Liverpool to the post made them miles better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

As it seems Liverpool have agreed to pay 14m for Cisse, it seems likely that GH will get another year. If a new man was coming in, he'd surely want a say on where the big money was being spent, and the last player he'd pick would probably be Cisse, as he'll always be seen as a Houllier player.

If Houllier is replaced, I can't see Liverpool going foreign again, and personally I'd be in favour of that policy, I certainly wouldnt go near a foreigner who hasnt managed in England before - too much of a gamble. I don't know who they will get. I see John Toshack being linked, and I wouldnt be surprised if Kenny Dalglish was brought back. He still rarely misses a Liverpool game and is well in with the top brass.

I think someone like Sam Allardyce would do a fantastic job with Liverpool, but he'd never get the chance. I also think Steve McMahon would do a great job, but again he'd never be given it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

At this stage i'd even take Roddy Collins over GH

• Advertisement

Some interesting names mentioned there Rooster. I definitely dont want Toshack to take over. Dalglish, he left because of pressure. Who's to say he wouldn't abandon ship again if the going got tough? I think someone like Allardyce or Curbishley or even, dare I say, O'Leary could do a very good job for Liverpool.

I'm not a fan of O'Leary's because of all the sheight he talked when at Leeds. Though I have to admit he seems to have done well at Villa. The question is can he build on it for next year.

O'Leary and Houllier are good friends, and there was talk that if Houllier was "moved upstairs", that he'd want O'Leary in as manager. Would it be possible to prise him away from Villa? Would Liverpool want to keep GH on in some capacity?

I don't think Kenny would walk away again. He may not have walked away in the first place if he knew his job would be taken full time. He went straight for playing to player/manager to manager. He didnt know what he was in for. He needed a break. As an older and wiser person now I couldnt see him letting pressure get to him.

Plus if you were ever to give a person a second chance, then the greatest player to ever play for the club, and the only person ever to manage the club to the double, would probably be that man.

Plus if you were ever to give a person a second chance, then the greatest player to ever play for the club, and the only person ever to manage the club to the double, would probably be that man.
    Well I certainly can't argue with that ! :)

Would he want to come back, I haven't heard anything about him for ages now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

in terms of keeping Houllier around, LFC never sack, just move people on, not unlike a major corpo and keeping the knowledge in teh institution, the bootroom concept.

I however bringing houllier out the back and shooting him would be too kind, unless it were heskey shooting, cos then he'd take hours to die.

I've no idea whether Dalglish would be interested in the job or not.

I do know he goes to almost every home game, so still takes an interest in the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Kenny still has strong ties with the club and is very good friends with David Moores. The best indicator regarding him going back to the club was his daughter on Sky Sports News. The day she read the news item about speculation linking Kenny with a return to the club as manager she burst out laughing. That for me would suggest it's a non runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Bannor
    Kenny still has strong ties with the club and is very good friends with David Moores. The best indicator regarding him going back to the club was his daughter on Sky Sports News. The day she read the news item about speculation linking Kenny with a return to the club as manager she burst out laughing. That for me would suggest it's a non runner.

Completely off topic/

Isn't his daughter SOOO fine:D

/Back On topic

Couldn't see Kenny returning, I'm begining to think GH will still be there next season.

Which makes me very happy, having 2 brothers who are mad pool fans.

Originally posted by Bannor
    . The best indicator regarding him going back to the club was his daughter on Sky Sports News.

Which one is she?

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    Which one is she?

Mike.
    0212215232_23.jpg

More here

http://skynewscentre.co.uk/viewpictures.asp?showsub=images/KellyDalglish

Originally posted by irish1
    Completely off topic/

Isn't his daughter SOOO fine:D

i agree :)

• Advertisement

Aha, I thought it might have been her. She's quite annoying...

Mike.

Aha, I thought it might have been her. She's quite annoying...

Mike.

I'd live with that if.......;)

She's quite annoying...

nowhere near as annoying as the one doing the sports news last night :mad:

Yeah Kelly is pretty fine. Not sure she'd be too happy with some of her photos though.

Hmm going way off topic so to continue the trend, here's a pic of my favourite female sky presenter at the moment ... ;)
    julie.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Lisa Burke all the way :)

Damnit I want Capello at Anfield!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

<off topic>
    Yeah, I probably would
    </off topic>

Houllier does look safe for another season, which makes me very very sad

:mad: :( :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Kone
    <off topic>
    Yeah, I probably would
    </off topic>

Houllier does look safe for another season, which makes me very very sad

:mad: :( :mad:

Maybe not according to the Independent in england we want to talk to Mourhino (sp) the porto boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea but what club doesn't.

Advertisement