Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iol over the limit

• 06-05-2004 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

this is the first month we've had bb and my brothers gonna wild with it. it's like we'll exceed the cap. do iol give any leeway and do they actually cut you off or what do they do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

how much have you gone over it by? I don't think they are enforcing the caps yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

They were enforcing them pre splitting into 2 packages. And that meant being cut off until start of next month.

Supposedly they are less strict with plus and haven't heard of anyone getting cut off on it. they had problems with their system towards the end of last month. MY entire usage(form last October) reset to 0.

Bottom line is if you go over you risk getting cutting off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

will they ever charge you? cause it says they have the right to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They have never charged me and I'm pretty much breaking it every month:cool:, what they used to do pre-plus package was just kick you off - but last month my downloads just stoped being registered; I went wild and got about 22GB or so. This month it's the same but I have run out of things to download as I have exams and I dont have time to watch everything I get and my HDD is full:D, on the 18th I'll be back to my normal "grab all you can" - I'll see how long I last;). By the way my cap is showing 0.00GB up and down anyone elses like this?, I think it's stopped tracking what I download ww).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

my cap is registering what i download alright:dunno: maybe they just use 16gb as i deterrent to stop us going completely mental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    I'm pretty much breaking it every month:cool: .... I went wild and got about 22GB or so.

You would be the reasons that broadband operators have small caps in the first place. There isint even that much you can download from the internet without going into downloading crap.

Also, the way the stats/meters work is that they add what you've downloaded after your session is over. Turn off and turn on your router/modem and it will add what you have downloaded onto your meter. Also, you might want to look at getting a software transfer meter such as DUMeter [Google for it]. It will give you an alert when your coming up to your cap limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Winters
    You would be the reasons that broadband operators have small caps in the first place. There isint even that much you can download from the internet without going into downloading crap
    HA! - it seems that IBB can handle users who routinely download more in a week then I do in the entire month - the bandwidth is there we are just not being allowed use it. Look at this I wouldn't even come CLOSE to touching that - the most I could get in a month would be 30GB, what with all the game playing going on in the house. Away with that Neville Winters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Im of the same opinion as Croc.

Other european countries with larger populations than our own using DSL can offer broadband without download limits (or with very high limits that no one here would complain about). These countries don't seem to be complaining about contention problems...

Why does Ireland have to trail behind the rest of the world. 512k broadband is nothing special... in fact it's almost bog standard. And 128k up is just annoying...

But all in all,,, I love broadband. Without broadband I wouldn't be here posting this message coz id be too mean to pay peak call charges to Eircom :P

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    They have never charged me and I'm pretty much breaking it every month:cool:, what they used to do pre-plus package was just kick you off - but last month my downloads just stoped being registered; I went wild and got about 22GB or so. This month it's the same but I have run out of things to download as I have exams and I dont have time to watch everything I get and my HDD is full:D, on the 18th I'll be back to my normal "grab all you can" - I'll see how long I last;). By the way my cap is showing 0.00GB up and down anyone elses like this?, I think it's stopped tracking what I download ww).

What do you download???!!

I download a lot of bootleg concert mp3's and MPEGS but I can't imagine ever getting anywhere near 22GB's!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    What do you download???!!
    er.... same as everyone no doubt ... ALL the ISO's from ALL the linux distros ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭meatball

Originally posted by Winters
    You would be the reasons that broadband operators have small caps in the first place. There isint even that much you can download from the internet without going into downloading crap.

Please stop posting.

Advertisement