Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this crappy cap ...

• 07-05-2004 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

If Eircom's gonna have a shi*ty cap can't they at least make their stats site work ? It's the 7th of the month and it's still showing the summary screen (see attachment).

Reckon I should get onto them about it ? It's pretty hard to get your money's worth when you can't be sure of your current stats ...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mines the same also, powered off modem a few times just incase but its still showing nothing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Originally posted by Gonzo
    powered off modem a few times just incase but its still showing nothing for me.

Yeah, I did the same thing. Pretty dumb that we should have to do that to get it to register, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

That's what you get for dealing with the scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

What happened to updating it every day in the mornings? So if I dont switch off my modem for a month, I wont get to know what I've used so far? Rather stupid if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

If it's anything like UTV (which I assume it is since they get their lines form Eircom) then they'll disconnect you every 48 hours and so your usage should be calculated then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    That's what you get for dealing with the scum.

And what does a statement like that add to the discussion in the thread!!!!!

Its your opinion--Personally I find eircom excellent.Pings are great,cap is $hite but Ive never had one minute of downtime since I got it.

Back on Topic.

And yep I have the same problem.Actually I think their stats are way out.I had this argument with them last month when I apparently uploaded 350mb in one night and 275 the next night when I was sure my PC was off.

So me thinks they update everything near the months end and thats why it showed a huge upload.So on the 28 of April I was at only 600 mb uploaded the suddenly I was over my upload limit at months end.Cant wait til they start charging for excess--Ill want every MB accounted for as I really cant trust their stats page.
    Is there any program out there to check my stats without using Eircoms page??

Richie

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    Ill want every MB accounted for as I really cant trust their stats page.
    Is there any program out there to check my stats without using Eircoms page??

Richie

Yeah, I use DUMeter & have it installed on both pcs on my network. It works nicely but obviously can't track the data passing through the modem itself, only the local network cards on the computer that it's installed on. This means anything my friends do on my network won't be monitored.

I don't see how they could possibly begin charging until they've got the stats page working perfectly. Since it's practically impossible to monitor our own stats perfectly, it should be their responsibility.

-IDM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

The longer they sort it out the better :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its sorted now, the stats are back up and working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

why are you all saying its a crap cap?

Have any of you actually been charged for exceeding it?

Didnt think so. Now hush.

• Advertisement

were not alone in our caps anymore either, so that takes some of the pain away, just look at the wanadoo in the uk (they replaced freeserve).

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/broadbandaccess/

Originally posted by Gonzo
    were not alone in our caps anymore either, so that takes some of the pain away, just look at the wanadoo in the uk (they replaced freeserve).

Haha ... ha ........ ha...

Uh ... wait. 34.99 stg = 52.68 eur

So in other words, for less than I pay for eircom home plus, they get a 1mb connection with a 30 gig/month cap.

Anybody want wanadoo to take over eircom ? :p

Oooh me, me, me !

Oh and if you read the "What does this mean" thingie. They say the limits won't be introduced until late 2004 & that if you do go over the limit your service will be restricted for the rest of the month.

That sounds like throttling to me. Much better than having to worry about the possibility of an enormous phone bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Solve it all..

Move to chorus bb.. ive been getting well over 80 gigs constantly over the last 3 months..

Little do ye or many other peeps know is that they cannot measure the cap lol... unlike eircom/others

Cheers :)

Originally posted by The Apprentice
    Solve it all..

Move to chorus bb..

From the Chorus website:
    "Cablenet Broadband is currently available in Chorus cabled areas Kilkenny, Clonmel and Thurles."

Central Dublin ..... towns with names that I can't even pronounce properly :p
    8 gig cap ..... no cap

Fat chance I'm moving !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Well we are the generation of suckers who signed up for a year of this crap.
    At the start of this month, for seven days i didn't download jack crap while the stats were still in april. Too scared in case thos mofos would make stats go over 100% like they did to me before for no apparent reason. 145% i think for March but they didn't overcharge for that. Personally i dont care about ping. Online gaming isn't my thing. But absolutley no downtime at all. But with 14% VAT i think we have a right to bitch, whine and complain. Whats the point in having a cap if they dont enforce it? Nothng like scaring people into submission.

You are 45% over your download allowance. At 3 cent a MB This comes to a total of 100$ towards your next bill. Thank you for using eircom.

na they say its a 8 gig cap.. but trust me.. its been close to 60-70 dayz now with me piping between 50-60k speeds ..
    Cant say ping times tbh as i dont game online.. can do a few tests now if someone wants to..

35 a month which imo is dirt cheap these dayz.. all im sorry for its not faster.. i,d double the pay for double the speed with the quality of the product !!
    Im not a chorus supporter by any means as there other products are pants tbh

They cannot measure the speeds of the users online so im laughing and so's my friend for the last 2 weeks.. little did he know that ... lol he,s got it for over 4-5 months now and he,s stickin to the guidline bigtime.. but now he aint and his bill came in... NO excess download fee as promised

Any other users here on chorus can vouch for it ... well they should anyway

Have DSL back in the states as well. It's also supplied by the local phone company & is very reliable.

Buut ... going to switch to the local cable service when I go back this summer. It's a 3mb connection for 35 euro equivalent a month :D ! No cap, of course.

Guess I'm just gonna have to wait till then to catch up on all my favourite tv shows ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by IDM
    Guess I'm just gonna have to wait till then to catch up on all my favourite tv shows ...
    What's stopping you from doing that now?, me and my sis grab a movie every 3-4 days and we have completed all the series of all our favourite shows!. €ircon don't as of yet enforce their cap - although they have been making threatening noises for the last month or two. It seems as if IOL have lost interest in enforcing the cap for their plus coustemers :cool:, so things are not that bad!. They are far from perfect :rolleyes:.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    They are far from perfect :rolleyes:.

True, true ... the muppets still haven't gotten things right.
    Since when is green a bad thing ? (See attached screenshot)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

when they actually enforce the caps then you can complain
    but that may never happen so stop bitching

Originally posted by tuxx
    so stop bitching

Well, to be honest. I think Eircom needs to hear a little more bitching. I've heard many posters comment on how the Irish public just don't complain in general. And maybe it's a reason why Eircom is still an overcharging backwards monopoly.

I'm really not a big bitcher when it comes down to it. But isn't that kinda what the boards are for ? Sure they're for answering people's information queries ... but that gets a little boring sometimes, now doesn't it ?

yeah mine now shows green light whenever my estimated total downloads is over the limit, used to show red.

Also in March i went 3% over the limit and the website had worked out an estimate overdue figure at 3cent per minute, now however when i check back onit all that information is now gone:)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

C'mon guys, you went with Eircom, you choose to go with their cap, so don't complain.

There are alternatives out there with bigger caps, and if you can get Eircom, you can get them.

Vote with your feet, and change provider. If eircom see a mass exodus of people heading over to the alternative providers, then they will have to change their products, but that ain't happening.

There is a 12 month contract, ya know ? Have been with Eircom for 3/4 of a year now. And yes, I do plan on switching once I'm allowed to.

When I first signed up for Eircom it was the only reasonable choice. I did a good bit of research & practically everyone was complaining about the other providers. Anything was going to be an improvement to my pay by the minute 56k.

I was hoping the cap wouldn't be too much of a pain. But now that there really are suitable alternatives to Eircom ...

Ah well. Things will get better some day.

im thinking about switching too even tho the service from eircom is really good, the cap is just too small so I may go to IOL when my contract is up as they have good 16gig limit and pings almost as good as eircoms.

na bollox those suppliers

chorus or this one http://dsl.digiweb.ie/

Aint tried the digi one but the speeds are serious !! even for that price

Digiweb does look promising...

Same price as Eircom but 20 gig cap. Would like to see some pings & hear from some customers first ...

Chorus is nowhere near my area (central Dub) and for that simple reason, I won't be switching to it!

"Chorus is nowhere near my area (central Dub) and for that simple reason, I won't be switching to it!"

lol snooze u lose !!!!!

try out the digi web... u can be the guinea pig m8 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im fascinated by this.

There are people who are going to leave the eircom dsl service because of the cap?

(People who are on eircom dsl. People who know exactly how much is actually charged for exceeding the cap)

I find that mind bogglingly stupid.

Please go back to america, You are lowering the national collective intelligence.

Advertisement