Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help connecting to pc's (Leap BB)

• 07-05-2004 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

my brother has Leap Broadband and he would like to use the same connection on his other pc.

What will he need to be able to do this.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ring their tech support people and they will be able to advise,
    Cause you prob won't be able to use a hub or switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you can get them to give you a second IP for free, then you can use a hub/switch. Otherwise you'll either need to share it via software (Sygate Home Network) or via hardware (a router).

Router's will cause a hell of a lot less headaches for ya though. Sharing via software can be flakey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 romi

Hi guys,I'm a real newbie at these things,don't understand almost anything about it.
    Now,I have Leap Broadband 512/512. My router or modem(thats how much I understand) is a Packetwave 100 series from Aperto Networks. I have two pc's,one downstairs of which leap is connected to,and another one upstairs which is very sad,no broadband.
    If anyone could spread some light on what I need and on how much it would cost me to connect the sad computer upstairs I would be very greatful.
    Sorry for seeming like a moan.....but I'm really desperate to get internet to the other pc.....

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    If you can get them to give you a second IP for free, then you can use a hub/switch. Otherwise you'll either need to share it via software (Sygate Home Network) or via hardware (a router).

Router's will cause a hell of a lot less headaches for ya though. Sharing via software can be flakey.

Mutant,thanks for replying,but would my packetwave be classified as a router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

the packetwave is Leaps broadband box, the cable comes from the aerial into the packetwave, then an ethernet cable comes out the other side and you connect your computer to that and set the IP address Leap gave you on your computer.

If you want to share the connection, I would buy a cheap firewall appliance (which would replace your computer in the above environment) and then your two conputers would plug into the back of that.
    Checkpoint have their safe@office appliances for about $300 but I'm sure you could find a cheaper one somewhere.

Checkpoint
    Sofaware

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

You can pick up a 4 port router (to connect 4 computers to one internet connection) for a mere 50euro, and thats a fairly good one.

What you should probably do is contact tech support and talk to them, get them to explain the basics of what you do need. Then, you can head back here and based on what they say, we can recommend you the right thing.

I'd be 99% certain that you need a Router with NAT though.

Your connection would look something as follows...
    Leap internet box---> Router---> From router an ethernet cable connects to each computer.

Just verify if that will work with Leap, i assume it will.

Cool,but sounds expensive..

I looked on the Aperto website and came about this pic..

http://www.apertonet.com/en/products/pwps.shtml

Mine would be the first pic top left,it seems easy and seems to connect all 3 pc's from the packetwave 100.
    Boh,I'm really a fish out of water.:(

Hi,I was on to them a few minutes ago and they told me that the best solution would be a router...............now on with suggestions..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

HI . I have expacly the same set up as you. Leap 512/512. I know the aperto site says that you can share with many computers but you will need a broadband router. The linksys wireless g broadband router it cheat 99 euro and has wireless hub and a 4 port switch and shares out you broadband connection simply. Get a wireless card for the other computer and you have broadband sharing network. Works with your X-Box too.

Thanks guys for helping me out.

Fitzgeme,will try what you said out and let you know if how it worked out for me.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Advertisement