Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

svchost.exe: virus or ok?

Options
  • 07-05-2004 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

i got kerio firewall, seems ok so far.
    its now asking me
    "Someone from 192.168.0.1,(router?) port 1900 wants to send UDP datagram to port 1031 owned by 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' on your computer"
    details: c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe

i know some viruses can hide in svchost, so not sure if i shulod let it connect to the net..does it need to go online?

cheers
    ¬hacksaw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Generic HOst Process should be configured as follows:

Incoming packets: NO, NO NO NO! Definately block incoming

Outgoing packets: Yes, i think this has to be allowed or else you cripple your internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

thanks, but how do i do that?
    i cant seem to find the option

Open the Kerio Firewall window, then Click on the "Network Security" tab.

Then scan that list for SVCHost (Generic Host process might be called) and then double click on it and set the permissions there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

i cant find the network security tab, i only have kerio personal firewall 2.1.4, is there a different version that has that tab or am i just blind?!

Get the latest version of kerio! Version 4 is a lot better than 2.X

When you get 4.x, then you'll see the tab

• Advertisement
Advertisement