Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moscow - recommendations ?

• 07-05-2004 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

I'm heading to Moscow on Wed.
    Anyone got any recommendations ?
    What to do, what not to do .. etc ?

TIA
    R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Learn the Cyrillic alphabet before you go. It won't take long at all but it will be very helpful reading signs, etc.

A walking tour is a very nice way to see the hidden streets and fine houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

The Red Square and Kremlin are certainly worth visiting. If your lucky you might also be able to see Lenin's tomb although sometimes it's closed for "renovations". I've been there a few times on business and while it's very different to most other places, you'd still want to watch yourself as the taxi's especially will try and rip you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I can't remember any of the places I went to as my Russian girlfriend at the time took me round. Moscow seems to be a place that you need someone to show you around. Quite different from ST. Petersburg apparently which is more tourist friendly.

Taxis don't really seem to exist - one would mainly hitchhike with any old car that wants to take you and then you pay them money. But I wouldn't advise that without a Russian person with you.

To be honest - walking round Moscow in itself was simply awesome. Everything is just massive - all the statues and government buildings. Absolutely incredible.

One place that stands out was the Moscow college or university. Its at the top of a hill overlooking Moscow and it is a fantastic building and a great view of Moscow when there. I think you can take a tourist bus and it takes you there.

Have fun, drink beer on the streets and watch out for those dangerous ladies! In fact one thing that really struck me was looking at where and how Moscovites live. They all tend to live in massive blocks with squares of land inside which is a little park and every block looks the same.

Oh, I forget. We went to see a ballet in the Kremlin. I would recommend it thoroughly. Although the ballet wasn't great and there was no orchestra - simply going inside the Kremlin and into the amphitheatre wsa a great trip.

Have fun.

Zdarovia
    Lyoubliou
    Krasnye
    Predourok

The only words I remember.
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

Just a question: did you find any cheapt flight to Moscow? do you go through London? anything under 350 Euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You can go from Dublin for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Thanks for the replies guys.
    much appreciated..
    Originally posted by Coney Island
    Just a question: did you find any cheapt flight to Moscow? do you go through London? anything under 350 Euro?

I'm actually going from Budapest..
    Got a direct flight for 280EUR return, on ebookers.com/xx

R

Advertisement