Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Wifi

• 07-05-2004 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi,
    I'm completely new to the WiFi experience. I have recently invested in a laptop (dell 9100) and a palmtop (axim 3i). Both have WiFi. Now my questions are ?
    (and please excuse me if I'm a complete dumbass:D )

1- how do I configure a wifi link between the two devices for transfering files?
    2- can I acti sync this way?
    3- in work we have a Wifi network. how do I set my devices up on this?
    4- I somehow managed (by fluke don't know how I did it) to get my laptop to access my work network, but for some reason I'm unable to acces the internet. How do I do this.

Thanks alot for the help in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

for the first Q, check documentation about how to set up each device to work on an "ad-Hoc" network, Basically a peir-2-peir network using wifi. Dell support or many web pages should tell you how to do this, check dell's own knowledge base which is accessible through dell.ie.

2: I'd say you could "acti sync" but not sure, it just makes sense to be able to do it via wifi.

3 &4 : As for the work connection I think you should ask the IT dept./guy how to do it cause they might have special proxy to give you or reserve you a place on network. their could be many many configurations so set, in order for it to work on their network, and even if yours are perfect it may be a setting on their end as well.

sorry, I couldn't be much help, It's just I haven't used one of those palmtop thingys before and don't know the in's-and-out's of how they work as regards to Wifi.

Good luck and i hope you get It working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Goblin_insane
    1- how do I configure a wifi link between the two devices for transfering files?

As superman said, you are looking for an ad-hoc network. Give laptop an ip address of something like 10.6.0.1 and the palmtop 10.6.0.2, making sure the netmask is the same on both. Very simple to do.
    2- can I acti sync this way?
    Yes, but it is quite difficult to set up. Don't bother - use inrfa red.
    3- in work we have a Wifi network. how do I set my devices up on this?
    4- I somehow managed (by fluke don't know how I did it) to get my laptop to access my work network, but for some reason I'm unable to acces the internet. How do I do this.

Again, as superman said, you will have to talk to the IT people who set up the network. Just because you can see the network, doesn't mean you can access it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Goblin_insane

The thing is I can access the work network but am unable to get on to the internet via the network.

Thanks for the help people I will try out the other stuff today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

quote:2- can I acti sync this way?

I don't know how it works with the Axim but with a Palm it is very easy, you just need a fixed IP for your PC and used that in your handheld... I expect it should be easy as well on an Axim.

Wifi is a good idea to sync because this is the fastest compare to USB and infrared.

You should be able to find lots of tutorial on the web if you look for sync wifi axim...

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by Goblin_insane
    The thing is I can access the work network but am unable to get on to the internet via the network.

Means nothing, maybe they're using a proxy, for example, or MAC address limiting of certain services. It depends on their setup, which has inifinite possibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Goblin_insane

Okay they are not using a proxy. <by the way what is a proxy>
    you are going to have to excuse me I'm all new to the world of networking. (but we al have to start somehwhere.
    Thanks you have all been a great help so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by raphaelS
    You should be able to find lots of tutorial on the web if you look for sync wifi axim...

Just remembered this - Axim site It's the same as Boards.ie, expect dedicated soley to Dell Axims. In the wireless forum, they have an excellent FAQ on getting the Axim hooked up wirelessly.

Also have a look at Pocket PC thoughts This is a more general Pocket PC site, where a lot of very knowledgable people hang out.

Advertisement