Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English essays

Options
  • 07-05-2004 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Our English teacher is crap I must say. Yesh.

Anyway. I'm thinking of preparing some essays for the exam. I have one done entitled "EU/Racism/Non-nationals/globalisation" etc. The only problem will be .. titles will come up that won't work with what I've prepared. Mar sin, do ye have any suggestions for titles I could get working on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Get working on one about War - (i.e. WW2 and maybe the Iraq Wars)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

haha its a joke tryin to predict, last year loads of people in my class prepared stuff on racisma other current affairs crap and guess what came up? Travel!! they were well pissed off:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Have a look at the TEXT 3 photo collages from previous years, they always have an essay title asking you to write an essay based on the images in TEXT 3. Most prepared essays can be twisted to suit that.

But the most IMPORTANT thing is to KEEP PRACTISING writing essays and STICK TO THE ESSAY TITLE.

Damien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

hi patrick..

remember one thing though...

many of the essays can be taken at different angles and not as straight on as what might be expected when your first glance at it...

what i mean is....the one i did was "The importance of heros/heroines in out life"

something along the lines of that...might sound a bit boring but i turned it around to just general knowledge..

i started inserting things like heros like superman..etc...help to create a childs imagination and teaches the child the difference between right and wrong etc...

i didnt prepare my essays at all...due to the fact that i found english easy...but alot of the essays can be worked around to your advantage...

good luck buddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

thanks to all for the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

My educated guess is that the theme this yr will be more based around human nature rather than current events. I wouldn't say you should practice essays rather than making plans. The plan is the most important thing, then you can't get lost in the essay as so many of us do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Always remember who will be correcting your exam. Dont necessarily give your beliefs, but rather play to your readers.

You may be pro-war, pro-capitalism, anti-establishment etc, (not that they mightbt be too) but remember it's a teacher that will be marking you. They will be more inclined to mark you favourably if they agree with your argument.

The church, education establishments and the state's relationships are ones to be particularly coy about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Man, in my experience plannin essays never worked out. Just do alot of reading (papers aswell as books) before your exam and you'll do fine. Decide before hand wheather you like to write discursive or narritive essays. If you like both, well fair play.

Do you know the finer points of construcying an essay? Did your teacher give any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

why is the general theme here to give some sort of a history report?
    there's plenty of essay options on the paper, as long as u have a good grasp of grammar, vocabulary,a few good quotes, and some form of an original idea (which history is not), u'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

whoever said that the examinor will grade u better if they agree with ur argument is talking horse...

ur saying that there's a possibility that they'd mark a really weak writer better than a very good writer because of the arguments at hand. unlerss the teacher a was particularly crap individual, this wouldnt happen.

im telling you, leaving cert english is about basics, stop getting urselves all confused and burdened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Originally posted by Silent Grape
    whoever said that the examinor will grade u better if they agree with ur argument is talking horse...

ur saying that there's a possibility that they'd mark a really weak writer better than a very good writer because of the arguments at hand. unlerss the teacher a was particularly crap individual, this wouldnt happen.

im telling you, leaving cert english is about basics, stop getting urselves all confused and burdened.

Hear hear:)

Thats wat i was tryin to say in a really roundabout awkward way.
    You cant really do the intense prep work for paper1 that you do for paper2.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Always remember who will be correcting your exam. Dont necessarily give your beliefs, but rather play to your readers.

You may be pro-war, pro-capitalism, anti-establishment etc, (not that they mightbt be too) but remember it's a teacher that will be marking you. They will be more inclined to mark you favourably if they agree with your argument.

well they're not suposed to, but sub-consciously they are still gonna have a negative view on your essay if they are so inclined. It's the same with messy handwriting.

on the other hand, if they have seen the same contrived "war is bad. lets kill Bush." stuff over and over again, going against the popular grain could make your essay stand out.

for example if you ever read "The Irishman's Diary" by Kevin Myers in the Irish Times, he definatley doesn't conform to popular opinion, and i disagree with many of his views, yet his arguements are superb, and he has changed my opinions on a number of things.

In short, if your essay is "controversial" but good, they will have no choice but award you tons of marks, 'cause you'll look well smart!! (especially if you make the examiner actually think about the subject matter of your essay, remember they only read it once and they read more than 100 a day)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement