Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wtf are you all on about

• 07-05-2004 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭

U bunch of ****ing weirdos this film was amazing i downloaded the svcd and showed it 2 my m8s the other night they all loved it as well u ppl need 2 get a life if all u can do is sit around bitching about how bad a film is

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

*boogle*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

your right i loved "the film" it was em good

ps that whole downloading thing is illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Originally posted by kazaam
    U bunch of ****ing weirdos this film was amazing i downloaded the svcd and showed it 2 my m8s the other night they all loved it as well u ppl need 2 get a life if all u can do is sit around bitching about how bad a film is

"this" film? What are you on about........:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

He's talking about Star Wars the phantom menace, he dosnt like the way it's been slated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

star wars sucks

you ****ing nerd, you downloaded a star wars svcd?

get a life loser

• Advertisement

You sad, sad bast*rd. The Stars Wars films are the most overrated films of all time. George Lucas cant write dialogue to save his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Hahahahah You MUPPET...you downloaded a starwars film. GET a life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭kazaam

y wud i d/l an svcd of star wars, i started a new threadby accident and am actually tlkin bout the butterfly effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Is that the maths thing where a butterfly flaps its wings in the rainforest and on the other side of the planet a retarded kid wakes up out of a coma and starts spewing sh!te at random?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

rofl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    Is that the maths thing where a butterfly flaps its wings in the rainforest and on the other side of the planet a retarded kid wakes up out of a coma and starts spewing sh!te at random?

Oh thats f*cking class :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Darko
    You sad, sad bast*rd. The Stars Wars films are the most overrated films of all time. George Lucas cant write dialogue to save his life.
    Preach it sister! I can never understand them constantly getting the #1 popular vote. They're enjoyable, to a degree, but the atrocious conversations and simplistic plots make me shake my head. The legacy of Lucas is responsible for so much much pain in cinemas for decades afterwards...

Preach it sister! I can never understand them constantly getting the #1 popular vote. They're enjoyable, to a degree, but the atrocious conversations and simplistic plots make me shake my head. The legacy of Lucas is responsible for so much much pain in cinemas for decades afterwards...

Its a remake of the far superior Hidden Fortress by Akira Kurosawa. I think George Lucas kidnapped five monkeys and locked them in a room with five type writers. Stars Wars was the result. A five monkey five minute job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Tch, and you people call yourselves nerds. Or if you don't, I do.
    The original Star Wars trilogy(let us not speak of the new ones) were ****ing class. It's true(especaially in the first one) that the dialouge is a bit cheesy and it all looks a wee bit dodgy, but it was done on a suprisingly low budget. I don't think you can call the plot flimsy. You could call it unoriginal, but that type of plot has been around as long as storytelling, and like Darko said, it's a remake of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, and I don't really think you should be dissing kurosawa(Dreams is on TV next week, check that out, beautifully shot film). Also, Star Wars set the whole sci-fi ball rolling, without it a hell of a lot of damn good sci fi films probably wouldn't have been made. You can say you don't like the films, but I don't think you can say they were just out and out ****. Especially Empire Strikes Back, that's a damn good film by any standards. It's got well developed, interesting characters, grandiose scale, an epic story and extremely good special effects that still look decent today. All you people that don't like it are just moany ****.

All that said, I haven't seen the Butterfly Effect, but it's got Aston Kutcher. So I don't think I will see it. Hrn, maybe he was punk'ding all the cinema goers by making them go to see one of his ****ty movies...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Its a remake of the far superior Hidden Fortress by Akira Kurosawa. I think George Lucas kidnapped five monkeys and locked them in a room with five type writers. Stars Wars was the result. A five monkey five minute job.

No it isn't. One single element of the first film was influenced by Hidden Fortress and that was to tell the story through the eyes of the lowest common denominator, in Star War's case R2D2 and C3P0. Calling it a remake is completely incorrect. It's like saying The Untouchables is a remake of Battleship Potemkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Ha, DrunkLeprachaun's little speech had me agreeing to a point. That point was:

"All you people that don't like it are just moany ****."

From here in, for anyone who cares to know, I'll be thinking of anyone throwing around such generalisations as complete tits.

p.s. Episode I has some great choreography and the other action in that and the rest of the prequel trilogy are hugley satisfying (mainly due to the lazy, living-out-his-fantasies plot).

p.p.s. the Butterfly Effect looks to be easily the silliest film around at the minute. Van Helsing's made to be silly, the Butterfly Effect looks deadly serious. Someone's seen too much Quantam Leap or something, from what I hear about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

dont say that this is the only thing that makes us look good.

heheh I got two full days ROTFL entertainment from this thread!

I didnt know mentioning star wars was gona pay off so good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by bus77
    heheh I got two full days ROTFL entertainment from this thread!
    You must be very slow at reading :)

I like the original Starwars. Can't say much about the new batch.

like Darko said, it's a remake of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, and I don't really think you should be dissing kurosawa

I wasnt dissing Kurosawa. In my opinion he is one of the the greatest Film directors of all time. He has made some of the greatest films ever.

Acutually lets compare Kurosawa and Lucas

Kurosawa: Seven Samurai, Ran, Kagemusha, Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Rashamon and many many others.

Lucas: Episodes 1, 2 and 4, American Grafitti, THX 1138, thats about it.
    We could go into the films each has written, produced, ect. But Im sure no on wants to be reminded of Howard the Duck.

• Advertisement

I wasnt dissing Kurosawa. In my opinion he is one of the the greatest Film directors of all time. He has made some of the greatest films ever.

Acutually lets compare Kurosawa and Lucas

Kurosawa: Seven Samurai, Ran, Kagemusha, Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Rashamon and many many others.

Lucas: Episodes 1, 2 and 4, American Grafitti, THX 1138, thats about it.
    We could go into the films each has written, produced, ect. But Im sure no on wants to be reminded of Howard the Duck.

Are you saying that Episode 4 and American Grafiti are poor films? I'd disagree strongly. As would many others, as both films broke box office records upon their release.

And while you're mentioning Howard the Duck, you could mention some of Kurosawa weaker films like Red Beard or Throne of Blood. I'm not denying that he has made superb films, but so has Lucas. And his production and general work in the film industry has been monumental.

And like I already said, Star Wars is not a remake of Hidden Fortress.

Blasphemer! Red Beard is a ****ing brilliant film. That doctor kicked shedloads of ass. And then fixed said asses up. That was actually one of my favourite kurosawa films, and I've seen a good few.
    Also, George Lucas was involved in the Indiana Jones films, I think they're worth bearing in mind before you condem him utterly. The original Star Wars(I'd rather not call it episode 4) was a good film too, it wasn't the greatest film ever made, but it was definately one of the more infulential. And it had some great scenes, like the Death Star blowing up Leia's homeworld, or the first scene with Han Solo, the trash compactor bit, or the trench run. I think it was a pretty spiffy film.
    I quite liked American Graffiti too, and it pretty much caused happy days to be made. So if you're slagging american grafiti, you're slagging the Fonz. You think about that.
    Now, are there any other topics we can drag into this meaningless thread?

you could mention some of Kurosawa weaker films like Red Beard or Throne of Blood

Throne of Blood is widely regarded as one of the greatest films of all time. It is the single best adaption of any of Shakespeares works.

you're slagging the Fonz

No Im not. Im slagging George Lucas.

And like I already said, Star Wars is not a remake of Hidden Fortress.

Yes it is. I believe that Lucas has admited as much.

Now, are there any other topics we can drag into this meaningless thread?

The current economical climate for selling igloos?
    The possibilities of constructing an osterich breeding reservation?
    Monkey postmen?

Throne of Blood is widely regarded as one of the greatest films of all time. It is the single best adaption of any of Shakespeares works.

It really isn't... It's a terrible adaption of Shakespeare. That's just my opinion of course... Unlike the next point, which is pure fact...
    Yes it is. I believe that Lucas has admited as much.

No he hasn't, because it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Is it just me or is Star Wars very like LOTR...

not that I'm a big fan of either ....but

Cast:
    Luke - Frodo
    Sam - R2D2
    Obe One - Gandalf
    Darth Vader - Soromon
    Emperor - Sauron

Story:
    Little kid saves the day by doing one small thing!

The basic concept behind the storys in all those films comes from early greek hero legends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Christ, this is a muddled thread of crap, isn't it?

As for Lucas Vs. Kurosawa...
    While there's certainly comparisons to be drawn between Star Wars and The Hidden Fortress, and even some basic plot points could be called similar, I shall have to concur that while Lucas was certainly influenced heavily by Kurosawa, it's not a remake in any conceivable way... And the same can be said of Star Wars being influenced by LOTR.

I'd certainly call myself a fan of Star Wars, but it's clearly very over-rated, and shouldn't get such high rankings on so many lists and polls. I do think that The Empire Strikes Back is a masterpeice, and any comparisons you could draw between The Hidden Fortress or LOTR and the original Star Wars doesn't reflect on what a fantastic and quite original film Empire is. Although, it is said that Yoda was based on the character of Dersu Uzala, and I think that Lucas admitted as much himself.
    Originally posted by Lodgepole
    And while you're mentioning Howard the Duck, you could mention some of Kurosawa weaker films like Red Beard or Throne of Blood.

Come off it! Both Red Beard and Throne of Blood were absolute masterpeices. Especially Throne Of Blood, which remains possibly one of my favorite Kurosawa works, and definetly the best Shakesperian adaptation I've ever seen, even topping Orson Welles' version.

I'd have to concur with Darko on the "One Of The Greatest Films Of All Time" point, it captures such an atmosphere of sheer darkness like no film I've ever seen before. And Toshiro Mifune has to be one of the greatest actors who's ever lived, and gives a breath-taking preformance.

I'd certainly call myself a fan of Star Wars, but it's clearly very over-rated, and shouldn't get such high rankings on so many lists and polls. I do think that The Empire Strikes Back is a masterpeice, and any comparisons you could draw between The Hidden Fortress or LOTR and the original Star Wars doesn't reflect on what a fantastic and quite original film Empire is.

I agree that Empire is a fantastic film. Its my favourite of them all. But Empire wasnt directed by Lucas, it was directed by Irvin Kershner and only based on an idea by Lucas.

And Toshiro Mifune has to be one of the greatest actors who's ever lived, and gives a breath-taking preformance.

The greatest.

I would also like to give my Support for Mifune. ****ing amazing actor, damn good with a sword too.

I disagree with the LOTR/Star Wars comparissons though. They're both adventure stories, yes, but the premise of both are completely different. And how in hell can you compare R2D2 to Sam?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

I'm a big star wars fan. Love Kurosawa too, especially the lovely Ikiru.

As for comparisons it's pretty obvious that lucas was heavily inspired by kurosawa-san but it's not really a remake.

Lucas is a great story teller in my opinion but he can't write for ****, empire was the best thing he's ever been involved in and aside from the general plot he didn't do much.

As for comparisons between hero stories; a russain chap called Vladimir Propp came up with a set of 31 rules used in folk tales for dictating narrative. You can cram in almost any hero based movie into them; Star wars especially. It's basic reading for anyone studying a film course so no doubt lucas read it.

In case you care what they are

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    Especially Throne Of Blood, which remains possibly one of my favorite Kurosawa works, and definetly the best Shakesperian adaptation I've ever seen, even topping Orson Welles' version.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I was looking forward to Throne of Blood for years before I saw it and was very let down. I really hated it, and that's from a fan of Kurosawa. In saying that, Macbeth is one of my least favorite of Shakespeare's works, so that could have gone against it even before I watched the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I agree that Empire is a fantastic film. Its my favourite of them all. But Empire wasnt directed by Lucas, it was directed by Irvin Kershner and only based on an idea by Lucas.

My point about Empire is that Lucas wrote it.
    It's still Lucas' storyline reguardless.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I was looking forward to Throne of Blood for years before I saw it and was very let down. I really hated it, and that's from a fan of Kurosawa. In saying that, Macbeth is one of my least favorite of Shakespeare's works, so that could have gone against it even before I watched the film.

I don't agree to that! :p

Sorry, had to be said.
    Well, I suppose if you weren't a fan on Macbeth in the first place, then it could reflect on your experience of Throne Of Blood. But you can't fault Kurosawa's direction, or Mifune's preformance, can you? Or the overall atmosphere of the film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Are you saying that Episode 4 and American Grafiti are poor films? I'd disagree strongly. As would many others, as both films broke box office records upon their release.
    As did Titanic. Which let's face it was a regular ball of crapola. Sure it's visually striking but so is Heaven's Gate.

Originally posted by sceptre
    As did Titanic. Which let's face it was a regular ball of crapola. Sure it's visually striking but so is Heaven's Gate.

Titanic was in a different era of film making, where huge returns were the norm... I'm not denying that Titanic didn't make more money than it should have, but in the case of Star Wars and especially in the case of American Graffiti, they were released into a market where blockbusters weren't the norm (with the exception of Jaws before SW). Both were also low budget films with no publicity.

And that's even before we get into the "was titanic actually that bad" argument...*

*but I refuse to be in a thread where I defend Titanic and mock Kurosawa... jesus that makes me look bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭kazaam

holy ****, look what ive started, read from the start and see how stupid this thread is!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

holy ****, look what ive started, read from the start and see how stupid this thread is!!

Yep I have read it from the start, the first post is especially idiotic you're right about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think THX 1138 is the best film Lucas has directed...

but I don't think I'll be able to watch the new special edition with added CGI without vomiting up blood....

Jabba the Hut in Episode IV...? the man is sick in the head...

Advertisement