Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issues using Vodafone GX clamshells on another network...

• 07-05-2004 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

ok, heres the deal.........
    I bought a GX20, paid full price in vodafone shop for it, not ready to go, an not on contract, full price.
    I thought that because i was paying full price without contract it was unlocked, .......evidently not! :(
    I am on meteor and reeeeally dont wanna change networks,

How do i go about unlocking this phone i have just spent the best part of 400 yoyos on????

B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Just Do it ?

What about bringing it back to the shop and giving them hell ?

I would after spending that amount of money !

I just had a look on eBay and saw this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45586&item=4187233663&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

If your not an eBay member just let me know - I'll get it for ya !

edit

Wooops..

Sorry I didn't see the part about the - The software does require a standard data cable (serial or usb) in order to connect to the phone and available for around £3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

JDI, thnx, but when it comes to buying cables im always wary, coz then it becomes "using hardware" in my mind, an iv a habit of ****ing up things like that, cant afford to with this phone. But again, thnx for the offer m8 :)

It is absolutely ridiculous that you buy a phone for that price on vodafone, WITHOUT a vodafone sim, an u TELL them ur planning on putting using ur meteor sim, you are *obviously* not intending to use it with them, an yet, they still hold a monopoly on it and refuse to tell you so they can make a sale!!

I am mightilly pissed
    B

no prob's, any time...... ;)

But I would go back to the shop and cause murder - I'd go in nice a polite and then just turn on them, make a show of them and I'll bet that they'll apologize for giving you the wrong information - And unlock it for ya !

When you think about it really its only fair !

LOL - I'm starting to get annoyed myself now - w***ers - :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if you made it clear what you required of the product (i.e. to use it on another network) and they sold it to you based on those requirements then contact the shop manager asking for the unlock code or a refund

if you get no joy contact the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs to see if they can help

good luck
    BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Next time try carphone whorehouse - they dont care which network you go to.

Having said that maybe the vodafone shop only has phones that lock to vodafone. Makes a kinda sense dont it? Still thats no excuse.

On the other hand shop assistants can be daft muppets.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

hey i can point u towards software or put it on CD for you as far as cables are required your better off getting the USB ones and turning off ur com ports in the bios and you have to force the USB onto com1 or com2....thats if ur running XP pro or Home....you in dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

i have a code also that meabt to unlock sharps its like the nokia codes the way you enter and take out the sim,but ur doing this at your own risk......

Just an update on this..........
    Found a friend of a friend who works for vodafone, apparently its a damn pain in the ass of a fone to unlock, an ur left with a dead vodafone live button that u cant assign to somthing else :/

anyways, hes pulled sum strings an it will be unlocked tomorrow hopefully, but word to the wise, just coz u pay full price, the bast@rds will still make sure its locked to them, specially if its a GX series. :rolleyes:

B

operator branded handsets aren't the best for moving off network, especially those that are exclusive to the network (as you've found out)

when the handset showed up on the Bluetooth qualification site earlier in the year it was listed as the GX-3## - which usually means there can be more than one 'model' of the qualified device

there is a (non Vodafone) Sharp GX32 although not directly available here - suppose Vodafone have some exclusivity agreement in relevant markets - Expansys only has it with an estimated date as an Asian Import...

BrianG

• Advertisement

iv been reliably told, *never* buy a GX type phone outside of this country unless u intend to use it outside of this country, specially the GX20 an 30+ ones

B

did they give you any reasons (don't understand where you roam with it would be relevant?)

Sorry Brian, seems I got me wires crossed :)
    What he meant was never buy one if u intend to use it on another *network* as ull find getting it unlocked rather difficult. (As I have, even with a friend working in a vodafone store pushing hard and ringing them daily). :)

B

ah ok - i was trying to point out that there are SIM-Free Non-Branded GX-32 handsets (e.g. Expansys.com link - if they ever stock it...) - it's the GX-30 that is customised and locked to Vodafone

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Thats mad that you bought it SIM-FREE...but it was locked and branded. would have been better off getting it from expansys or something.

yup, a lesson well learned after last week :)

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Sharp GX30. Since it appears that the non-vodafone model (GX31/32 I think) is rarer than hens teeth it looks like I will try to pick up a Unlocked Sim Free Vodaphone Live Model.

Since Im on O2 the vodaphone live functionality is useless to me. But will all the functions on the phone still work?? Eg Wap, GPRS, email?, MMS, Camera, Mp3 player, bluetooth etc.

Is there any functionality I will lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The title says gx30 but the post says gx20, which is it?

if its a gx20 theres an unlocker on the net which works, just google it.
    I successfully unlocked mine (which came from taiwan!) and it and everything on it works fine here now.

Need data cables though.

Just to clarify dub_wireless has appeared to have merged the GX30 thread I started with the GX20 one that already existed. (sorry Dub missed/forgot this thread :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

When you get it sorted, heres a guide for the WAP/MMS settings to use Meteors Services:

GPRS WAP:

Menu
    Settings:
    Internet Settings:
    WAP
    Empty
    • Profile Name: Meteor GPRS WAP
    • IP Address: 010.085.085.085
    • Homepage: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    • Port Number: 9201
    • Circuit Prompt: Leave as is
    • Connection Type: GPRS
    • GPRS Settings:
    • APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    • Username: my
    • Password: Leave as is
    • Linger Time: Leave as is
    Select "Back", Select "Setup End"/"Save"
    Select "Meteor GPRS WAP", Select "Activate".

MMS GPRS

Menu:
    Settings
    Internet Settings:
    MMS
    Empty
    • Profile Name: Meteor MMS
    • IP Address: 010.085.085.085
    • Relay Server URL: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    • Port Number: 9201
    • Connection Type:
    • GPRS Settings:
    • APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    • Username: my
    • Password: Leave as is
    • Linger Time: Leave as is
    Select "Back", Select "Save"/"Setup End"
    Select "Meteor MMS", Select "Activate"

Connecting to GPRS WAP:
    Press the LIVE button.
    The phone will connect to GPRS and show "live.vodafone.com".
    Press BACK.
    The phone will then show the Meteor WAP service.

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement