Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red cross damning report on abuse and torture

Options
  • 08-05-2004 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3694521.stm

okay here we go
    The mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners in US custody is not limited to isolated cases but forms part of a systematic pattern, the Red Cross has said.

A spokesman said the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) had been warning the US about such cases for more than a year.

He was responding to the publication of parts of a leaked ICRC report.
    The report says abuses have been committed at a number of facilities - not just Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad, which is the focus of allegations against US soldiers.

The report concludes there have been serious violations of the Geneva Conventions governing the treatment of prisoners of war.

oh wait there is MORE.....
    The report says the ill-treatment was widely tolerated, especially with regard to extracting information from Iraqis.

WIDELY TOLERATED = sanctioned/condoned
    "We were dealing here with a broad pattern, not individual acts. There was a pattern and a system," he said.

Mr Kraehenbuehl said that over the last year the Red Cross had repeatedly warned the Bush administration that the conditions at the Abu Ghraib needed changing.

BROAD PATTERN, NOT individual acts..

Bush administration had repeated warnings...

i was right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by Memnoch
    I was right?

What's this thread about - systematic abuse of prisoners in Iraq or you being right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Originally posted by shotamoose
    What's this thread about - systematic abuse of prisoners in Iraq or you being right?

its about the red cross's report isn't it :)

i felt it fair to also point out as a side note that I was right

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Memnoch
    i felt it fair to also point out as a side note that I was right

Why? Did anyone claim that it wasn't widespread (as opposed to saying that it wasn't by any means certain that it was widespread) that you being right is somehow significant?

jc

Advertisement