Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update all webpage together

Options
  • 08-05-2004 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I just have one question. Is it possible for me to insert html so that if i update the content on one page in my website that it will update the content through out the whole website

I know you can insert Iframes and all that but i want to keep it simple so the page loads fast. I don't want to fill the pages with loads of things that will slow them down.

I want the pages to concentrate on content.

Regards

Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

That's the way i do it - but i custom coded my own php files to output html files. When you change it one place it gets changed everywhere.

There's lots of different content management systems out there that can do it - but they may not do it in the way you want.

You're already showing a good grasp of good web development when you realise that the most important is just to have the page load fast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

It depends on your OS and webserver. There are many ways to do it. You could use SSI, javascript includes, a "publishing system" like nahdoic mentions or one of many other methods. Basically you need to give us more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I'd recommend using a simple PHP Fast Class Template. You can control thelayout in a few files. Search Phpbuilder.com for a good tutuorial :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. Do you mean update content or modify design?
    With regard to content there are a plethora of CMS solutions in PHP (and other scripting languages) out there. Fast templates, include files etc. etc.
    The choices are wide and varied.

If you are looking at a CMS just remember to keep it up to date. They are notorious for bad coding and security holes (search for php nuke or any of the others on any security bulletin boards to get a bigger picture)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

SSIs, or server side includes, are a basic way of creating template's for your site. Most commcercial hosting would provide it.

It's probably the easiest way for get started.

As others sai,d usign a Content Management System(CMS) is another route you could take, but depending on your needs, it could be over kill.

SSIs, are quick, easy, and secure. I'd reccommand looking into them first and seein gif they meet your needs.

Also, if you use Dreamweaver, it has template features too.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

For all your help . I really just want to have the text on the page so that when i update it . It updates across the site. I've already switched to CSS and tested it in a few different web broswers and against W3C to make sure the html is error free.

I don't want to get to complectaed want to keep it all simple and fast loading .

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

SSI is not very complicated and would be aperfect solution to your problem. Shouldn't make your page any slower. Javascript includes could even make it slightly faster by caching certain common content between pages. If you want more info about implementing them just say so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by hostyle
    SSI is not very complicated and would be aperfect solution to your problem.

SSIs can be a lifesaver for navigation - make the nav bars SSIs and you can update a huge site in minutes

Advertisement