Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin Wireless/Dsl Gateway Router

• 08-05-2004 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Belkin Wireless/Dsl Gateway Router 802.11b , 54 Mbps, 54g.

Has anyone had any experience with this router?

I bought this router today but once I got home I began to have my doubts about it, some good reviews and some bad ones. I did not open the box yet so I guess i can still get a refund on it.

Plus I've been reading about the Netgear 834uk which sounds liike a very good router.

So if anyone has tried this Belkin router can you please tell me what its like?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

i bought that router just after christmas from pc world for €84 with a pc card too. both are very good. i never have problems connecting to it and ive got three laptops connected wirelessly and one desktop wired and all work fine. only problem was the laptop card doesnt work the best under linux but the router is worth every cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

The Netgear DG834G is excellent, but Netgears PCI wireless cards are _not_. It seems to me that all wireless solutions depend on the hardware they are interacting with. Unfortunately it seems to be a "try it and see what happens" situation most of the time. For a lot of people everything workls straight out of the box.

Even if you open the box, you can normally bring it back. I've returned 2 opened wireless cards to PC World with no questions asked. (I'll add that the only reason I buy from them is they have had really good wireless card deals the last 2 months). As it turned out my problem is using Atheros based wireless cards with the VIA chipset on my motherboard. There was no way of knowing this without installing the cards, and after discovering problems an intensive google found the cause for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

You'll find some good info here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152169&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

I bought the same stuff as mentioned in the above thread in anticipation of my Digiweb DSL connection but Eircom are doing some work at the exchange and I'll be into my third week of waiting on Monday - groan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cecco

Hmmmmmmm.......

I may have a problem, I'm using the speedtouch usb modem.
    The instructions that came with the Belkin router say that if the modem only has a usb connection you need to change for a new one or have it replaced by your isp.

I guess I'll just bring it back and get a Netgear 834 afterall, unless there is any other solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

Hi there
    I hope that my question has not been asked before. So sorry if it was:o

I want to share my BB connection using wired on the desktop and wirless on the laptop.Is it possiable to use a wireless router w/ wired and wirelss?
    and can anyone recommend the best brand?
    many tks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cecco

I may be causing a little confusion in this thread, I apologize biut I'm a complete moron when it comes to these things.:)

I have a 1 Mbps connection with eircom(costing me arm and a leg):dunno: , it came with the alcatel speedtouch USB modem.

I went to buy myself the Belkin Wireless Cable/Dsl Gateway Router which I also got ripped off on from what I can see(cheaper in other shops).

I was having second doubts about it but I eventually openend the box and tried to hook it up using the quick installation guide that comes with it. In the instructions it also says that if "your modem has only a USB port, blablabla..............or purchase a modem that has an RJ45 Ethernet port on it.

Now before I bring this bugger back I would like to know if there is any other way of connecting my 2 pc's using this router and my usb(only) modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭fiacha

just bought a netgear dg834g and MA521 802.11b pcmcia card. Set them up on Friday evening in about 20 mins. I had already downloaded the latest firmware and upgraded immediatley. No problems connecting, and the wireless range is excellent. Admin page on the router is very easy to use.

I'm still waiting for my BB connection to be setup, but so far I am happy with my purchase. There were some posts on boards about this router dropping ADSL connections randomly, but latest firmware seems to have sorted this for most people.

BTW I bought them from www.dsl-warehouse.ie Ordered on Tuesday afternoon, arrived on Friday morning. The dg834 (wired) was €170 in PC World ! I hate to think what they are charging for the 834g. I think Komplett are running a special on a 3com kit this week.

Advertisement