Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subscription Idea

Options
  • 08-05-2004 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Chief mentioned another forum website *shock* in the humour board.

The website is www.offtopic.com if you want to send some hired goons around to thrash the place.

Anyway, they have a good idea for subscribers. People have multiple options to choose from, as seen here. People can pay, montly, quarterly, yearly or for life.

Boards.ie only as monthly and yearly options. Quarterly could be an option that students would use. The majority of members here are students. We only spend about 7-8 months of the year in college with free internet access. Some proably hardly use Boards.ie during the summer months and other holiday times. A quarterly fee might encourage some of them to pay to be a subscriber for the months spent in college. It would be a cheaper option than a monthly fee.

Would something like that work here?

I have taught about becoming a subscriber a few times. But really all I want to do is change my tag line :) Would it be possible for the Admins to have a small charge for those that would like to change just their tag lines.

So really what I'm saying is, could more options be introduced for potential subscribers.

A fee to change tag lines.
    Quarterly fee.
    Life Time fee for those that are addicted.

Any taughts ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭irishgeo

there is not enough features in the subscriber package to have such a detailed charging system.

If there was new features like perhaps competitions and other things it might be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

But bubba says that he's doing a competition, and iirc he's an admin of boards isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

=/

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

VB3 has a subscriber system with levels of rights etc and a Paypal system built in. We'll move to something like that as soon as we can...

DeV.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mmm, a Paypal system would be a good addition IMHO.

I'm looking forward to vB3 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

emm thats the new version of this boards system isent it?
    im not sure.
    Jolt did use a forum just like this 1 and they upgraded it a week or 2 ago to a new version and it looks crap - I Hate it.

I keep plaing to become a suscriber but the whole no job thing is a problem. i will suscribe as soon as we hit summer.

Also why would u only want to change ur tag line? Why not upload a custom avatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by User45701
    Also why would u only want to change ur tag line? Why not upload a custom avatar?
    Because I like my avatar. Have had it for over 2 years, never changed it :)

Is credit card payment accepted ?
    If a member pays for one months subscription, will the tag line revert back to default after a month ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

here now come on this is really bent! half the fun with boards is that its free and has enjoyable but useless banter. the last thing we need is for a few money hungry tycoons to start charging!

and considering the amount of griegf on these boards about ireland being a rip off do you think it would go down well?

If you really want to charge you could have it so people do all thhe changes to there account and in order to pay for it they can text a premium txt line. It could be a method of payment.

If charging starts boards will loose its shine and considering the amount of people that have the know how and bandwidth, someone could easily set up a boards copy cat site

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Superman
    here now come on this is really bent! half the fun with boards is that its free and has enjoyable but useless banter. the last thing we need is for a few money hungry tycoons to start charging!

and considering the amount of griegf on these boards about ireland being a rip off do you think it would go down well?

If you really want to charge you could have it so people do all thhe changes to there account and in order to pay for it they can text a premium txt line. It could be a method of payment.

If charging starts boards will loose its shine and considering the amount of people that have the know how and bandwidth, someone could easily set up a boards copy cat site
    You're missing a large piece of the puzzle, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Cheap whiney people like you Superman can continue to use Boards for free.

Some of us would like to support the boards and in the process get some nifty extra features. Boards doesn't pay for itself, the admins pay for it. Charging a few quid for some extra features isn't going to make them any money, it'll help pay for the hardware/bandwidth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I guess that when you're superman you see Lecks LuThore everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by koneko
    it'll help pay for the hardware/bandwidth.

Or another Thai Dinner, if I remember correctly!

Money hungry tycoons? Ha ha ha. Well, its nice to be able to laugh on a Monday morning, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

a few money hungry tycoons

I demand more money hungry tycoons for my subscription! I want a custom tycoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Will a transport tycoon do?

Advertisement