Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trojan virus i cant seem to delete

Options
  • 08-05-2004 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

whenever i leave my laptop inactive for a while i get the following alert from AVG telling me it has detected a Trojan virus. However when i go and scan my hard drive it finds nothing

it isnt effecting the performace of the laptop or anything but it is annoying.

im just wondering has anyone come across this before and how can i get rid of it. i have adaware and spybot installed too and they show us nothing either

screen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

you have to upload your image to a web server before we can see it, its currently pointing to your c:\documents and settings\blah blah folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

its up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

no it isnt

shag....ill get it sorted for tomorrow...you sure it aint working? where the url pointing to for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Pat/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/trojan.bmp

maybe upload it to your boards webspace http://members.boards.ie/ geocities sux :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The Trojan is in your restore files . You could turn off system restore (right click on My Computer / Click Properties/ System Restore Tab/ Deselect Turn off system restore on all drives). Then reboot your machine and rescan, It should be clean now.

Dont forget if you want to be able to restore your system at some stage in the future you will need to turn system resore on again and create a restore point.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Very same thing happened to me. When i turned off system restore the error came up one last time. Not any more. Note that turning off system restore you will only have the choice of repairing from boot disk after a fatal system error.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When system restore is turned on, AVG is denied write access to those files, which is why it couldn't do anything about it.

thanks for the help lads seemed to do the trick, is it gone for good now or will it come back when i turn on my system restore again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by sound_wave
    thanks for the help lads seemed to do the trick, is it gone for good now or will it come back when i turn on my system restore again?

Turning system restore back on should create a new clean restore file.

Advertisement