Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining two networks to gateway

Options
  • 08-05-2004 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I have two private networks.

Network A:
    One network is a standalone computer with a router.
    Its IP, Gateway and Subnet is: 192.168.168.2, 192.168.168.1, 255.255.255.0 repectivly.

Network B:
    The other network is 3 client computers. They run on a wierd IP range. something like ~ 10.134.243.1 . I amn't sure of the IP cause not at office, but you know what i mean.

Ok Network B, can't be altered because there is software on the computer that needs the gateway to be set to 10.134.....
    I have aproxy server on the computer on Network A, so that i can go through the gateway by going thru that. I want it so that i can alter the Internet Explorer proxy settings on Network B computers so that they can access the internet and at the same time not alter the Gateway they are set to.

Problem is, The ranges are totally out. I don't know enough bout networking yet , but how can i bridge two networks, so they all go out through the same Router. By the way the router's IP won't change to 10.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Isn't it somethign to do with PPP, I amn't sure . I hope someone can help me out and give me a solution.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

The simplest solution is to amalgamate the two networks, unless you have particular reasons for this setup. Net A has only one PC, after all. However, since you can't change Net B, and you can't move the router to the 10.134.x.x network, you're a bit stuck.

If the router has two network connections, you should be able to do this (although you probably would have mentioned them if they were there). Another possibility might be virtual interfaces, where the same physical connection has two (or more) addresses assigned to it. Your router may or may not support this.

Post a few more details, in particular router make & model, and the answers to the following:

Why can't the router move to 10.134.x.x?
    Can the Net B application be reconfigured to use a 192.168.x.x gateway?

Finally, an observation - you start by saying "I have two private networks", suggesting that you are in control of them. However, you then outline restrictions on both networks. If you are in charge of these networks, can you not make the necessary changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

hi there, thanks for your reply.

I have control over the 2 networks, but the problem is if i change the settings on Net b computers, the software goes down. There is no way to configure the software, its very limited.

The only reason I have Net A is so i can use it as a proxy server to access the router. I would enter the IP of the WWW proxy server in internet explorer on Net B computers, but problem is, they can't see the proxy server because its on a totally different range. I can't change the gateway of the cards on net b, thats the reason i need to use a proxy for internet applications instead.

When i try changing the IP of the router to within the range of Net B, it says, DHCP cannot start or end with that IP, or something like that, but i disabled DHCP on it, and it still comes up with an error like that. I can't give you the exact error or the make and model of the router because i not at office with it now, and can't remember what the name of it was.

Isn't there away to bridge two connections in XP, so that the two networks act like 1 network. Would that allow me to access the proxy from Net B computers, and let the proxy server handle all internet applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

If you have two subnets, bridging will not help.

Bridging is for joining more than one physical network into one large subnet...

What you need is a multi-interfaced router. If you have 2 local subnets, then you'll need two local interface cards on the router.

If you agree, I'll elaborate more.

Thanks for the replys. ssh i done something simliler to what your saying this morning.

Clients connect to one hub, and the gateway proxy server has an extra card linking to the router. The proxy software handles incoming from 10.xx.xx connections and directs it out 192.168...... to router. Working great.

Thanks for the suggestions, i was thinking too advanced. This is the easiest way out now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

what's the name of this ridiculously inflexible software anyway?

• Advertisement

i'm using WinProxy for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah in statoil the pc's use the same 10.xx.xx so the till and E-pos can link up!

Advertisement