Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arctic silencer memory overheat :(

Options
  • 08-05-2004 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

ok i recently got a artic silencer for my radeon 9800 pro
    before i got this i had the memory overclocked from 336 to 365
    since getting it i have to underclock the memory to 320 to stop getting bad artifacts :(
    im able to push the core alot furter and im very happy with that but what good is it if my memory has to be underclocked

has this happened to anyone else, have i done something wrong?
    would memory heatsinks help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

How long have you had the card?
    Tbh, it doesn't sound good if you have to underclock your ram. I'd try replacing the stock cooling and see if that helps, although I can't really see how a VGA cooler could affect your ram this way.
    Did you ever push your ram past it's limits? (benching with artefacts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Sir Random

Did you ever push your ram past it's limits? (benching with artefacts)

no the first time artifacts showed up was when i replaced the stock cooler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Firstly are you you secured the silencer well to the card? Secondly what type of compound did you use? I read somewhere it takes a few days for certain compound to kick it. Maybe thats your problem. Just a stab in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by neokenzo
    Firstly are you you secured the silencer well to the card? Secondly what type of compound did you use? I read somewhere it takes a few days for certain compound to kick it. Maybe thats your problem. Just a stab in the dark.

yes im sure i have no problem overclocking the core now
    its just the memory i have trouble with

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

You could stick some small heatsinks to the RAM. Sir Random was going to do this (here) , but I don't know how he got on in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement