Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird e-mail from boards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by hostyle
    spam is spam. doesn't matter what _you_ think it is.

Its not spam for the people who requested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If only those that requested it recieved it there wouldn't have been a problem :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ah no need to delete it Esk, I enjoy reads like that on a monday morning :D
    thanks for posting it up Zen!
    Of course they all keep an eye out for each other since they are all close persoanl friends with other members of Comeonbanus such as Skypak, Doodee, Bard, Beruthiel, and Amz

I feel quite honoured to be mention as an evil, nasty person who has some sort of influence over boards, it further amuses me because I have none at all, unless I am unaware of it? can an Admin enlighten me on this one? is it a secret till I cop on? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Does this mean you'll be handing out 'DVD burner kits' consisting of a DVD and a cigarette lighter again?

Regie
    hand me your strings please, so I can pull them.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Originally posted by Regi
    Does this mean you'll be handing out 'DVD burner kits' consisting of a DVD and a cigarette lighter again?

ah that one still leaves me in tears of laughter

[edit]

Back in your place beruthial or ill have you shot for treason.

[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

*/sound of penny dropping!!\*

ROFLOL

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I feel quite honoured to be mention as an evil, nasty person who has some sort of influence over boards, it further amuses me because I have none at all, unless I am unaware of it? can an Admin enlighten me on this one? is it a secret till I cop on?

You mean no one has told you....

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well I thought it was well written and pretty funny tbh, lighten up ppl :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ok, normally I'd be all in favour of this sort of thing but frankly this went too far. I dont care about the content, I've been lambasted by better then bubbles before and I do find his stuff funny.

But 550 unsolicited PM's (and it was 550, we queried the database) is unacceptible. Not only did Bubbles not get permission from those 550 people but he also put us in a dangerous position regarding facilitating spam...

You can read the governments new rules about this here:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/utilities/redirect.php?url=http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/files/ComsReg_SI_535_of_2003.doc

or a more english account of it here:
    http://research.yale.edu/lawmeme/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1424

Now, none of that really bothers me except these two things:

1. If *anyone* else did this and they weren't banned outright, you can bet that bubbles would be the first in to claim that they were being given special treatment etc. well, sauce for the goose has to be sauce for the gander.

2. I dont like the precedent this sets, next thing we'll have DVD Rentals.ie spam PM's or other spam merchants here.

Lets face facts, bubbles knew this would get him banned, its weeks of entertainment for him and more trollage as people get their knickers in a twist about this. Ask yourself this, would YOU be surprised if you were banned for doing that? Why shouldnt bubbles...

Sorry bubbs, I usually argue your side but... 550!! Man, you are on your own.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

do the knights got get a say in how this should be handled :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

why was he not banned last time?

and why does it not say banned under his user name in the prison forum like other banned people?

or is this all another big joke type thingy thats not only managed to slip over my head but polevault.

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bio-sucks

Interesting DeVore.....

A person shall not use or cause to be used any publicly available electronic communications service to send an unsolicited communication for the purpose of direct marketing by means of electronic mail, to a subscriber, who is a natural person, unless the person has been notified by that subscriber that for the time being he or she consents to the receipt of such a communication.

So far more people want it compared to those who don't.... with bubbles banned this is a terrible state of affairs. He'll might have to send out a daily message to his friends via PM and/or email. Damn all this free time.

Now excuse me, I have to start reserving accounts at this stage, just in case you decide to stop new users registering for a while. Want to be able to last at least a couple of months and theres a long and bumpy ride ahead by the looks of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

zzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I didn't previously agree with Bubbles getting banned but since he has his "40" or so accounts and is planning some "revenge", I've changed my views.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Eroved (bubbles, allegedly)
    I mean Bard sent me a PM there last week without me asking me first - why wasn't he banned?

No, I didn't.

What is true is that the night before bubbles sent this spam, he chatted with me in an IRC query, quizzing me on the Knights of Comeonbanus, what discussions they'd had recently, what influence the Admins have on them, etc. etc. ... needless to say, I didn't tell him much.

If you check you will see anybody who said they didn't want it didn't get it according to the previous thread buried a bit in feedback/suggestions, and requests via PM

Therefore I didn't send it to anyone who didn't request it.

Not specifically saying "don't send me this crap" doesn't equate to requesting it.

As DeVore said, if anyone else did this, they'd have been banned outright, and bubbles would be the first to yell and moan about them if they weren't.

Took you longer than most to break the camels back though, bubbles... well done.

Originally posted by Doodee
    do the knights got get a say in how this should be handled :D

is that not a given? :D

*me tugs harder on DeV's strings*

Originally posted by Bard
    needless to say, I didn't tell him much.

TEH MYSTIKAL SEKKRITS R SAFE DEN!! WEL DOEN BARD

for GODS sake.

Yes, if someone spammed something COMMERCIAL they should be banned.

Bubbles yoke was a joke. Its funny. One joke pm is not spam. People who think it is maybe should log off and seek the safety of their cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I don't object to the content at all. What would have been a far better solution would be a sticky or an announement. If you qualify those as 'spam' then the admins have been spamming us for quite some time.

Those who requested the PM aside, that PM did constitute spam, for the simple reason that it was en masse and it was unsolicited. I usually make it a point to ignore such messages, no matter how good they purport to be (but what you do is you send them all your credit card numbers - and if one of them is lucky - you win a prize!).

However, I think banning bubbles permanently might be a little harsh (and no - this isn't a bubbles troll account). The competitions are obviously fake (or at least not what they appear to be), and although I certainly think the practice of sending mass PM's should be discouraged, I think there are alternate routes to banning.

Here is my suggestion
    1) Give bubbles write access to the bubbles board, and give everyone else read access only.
    2) People who want bubbles updates can subscribe to the board.
    3) Whenever bubbles makes an update they can check it out on the subbed forums listing.

As DeVore is fond of saying:

storm -> |_|P

t'was the only thing I could find with 'Free Bubbles' on it :D

image1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Dustaz

for GODS sake.
    Yes, if someone spammed something COMMERCIAL they should be banned.

Bubbles yoke was a joke. Its funny. One joke pm is not spam. People who think it is maybe should log off and seek the safety of their cupboard.

Me too. Provoided the phone number given was his own and not some innocents I don't see any harm in it. Its only a bit of fun which is one of things a lot of us log on here for each day.

Regarding the competitions I would imagine most users here have enought web savvy to recognise a piss take when they see it and not respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by Dustaz
    TEH MYSTIKAL SEKKRITS R SAFE DEN!! WEL DOEN BARD
    LMFAO.

Originally posted by swiss
    I don't object to the content at all. What would have been a far better solution would be a sticky or an announement.

I agree in part with Dustaz, but just confirming that Bubbles isn't able to create announcements as he is not an admin? (or his position was removed).

It seems as if it was just a joke, done to annoy people at the top end of things and give a giggle to those on the lower rungs of the ladder.

I think simply due to his history on boards he deserve a court where he can jest, and as Lee said, the Bubbles forum would be a great place.

anyways, just my 2 cents

I was about to point out that i didnt suggest the forum thing, but since you seem confused as to whether bubbles is an admin, i suppose theres no point :)

Yes i notice that now,
    I originally meant i agree'd with it being a joke.
    as for the admin thing, that was just a way of casting light upon the fact that if he wanted to contact most of Boards.ie in a method other than posting a thread ,which would be static and depend on who reads the forum, he would either have access to announcements or else take out banner space among other things...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

set up a bubbles PM signup sheet :) if more than 550 people (excluding bubbles spam accounts)sign up then that evens out the spam :P

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd have said "Ah lets unban bubbles, he's funny" but frankly 550 is taking the piss, he's not in the slightest bit sorry he did it and more then anything he's threatening to take out some revenge... sorry but I react *incredibly* badly to having a gun put to my head.

He stays banned for now and I personally dont feel like unbanning someone who's threatening to try and trash this place. As it is, if everyone acted like bubbles think what would happen. So why are we making an exception here? Oh because some people here who are Mods or consider themselves "important personalities" on boards think he's funny?

Doesnt anyone else see the f*ckin' irony in this? The very people who would be whinging that we were showing favouritism are the very ones say "awww yer being too hard, he's our mate".

So, you cant have it both ways. Now, if Bubbles apologised and promised not to go spamming people again etc then there's room for him to come back but right now, I honestly think some people should reconsider their hypocrisy.

Bubbles has been a mate of mine online for years but I'm not backing him on this or his "threats". He's out of line.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by DeVore
    I'd have said "Ah lets unban bubbles, he's funny" but frankly 550 is taking the piss, he's not in the slightest bit sorry he did it and more then anything he's threatening to take out some revenge... sorry but I react *incredibly* badly to having a gun put to my head.

He stays banned for now and I personally dont feel like unbanning someone who's threatening to try and trash this place. As it is, if everyone acted like bubbles think what would happen. So why are we making an exception here? Oh because some people here who are Mods or consider themselves "important personalities" on boards think he's funny?

Doesnt anyone else see the f*ckin' irony in this? The very people who would be whinging that we were showing favouritism are the very ones say "awww yer being too hard, he's our mate".

So, you cant have it both ways. Now, if Bubbles apologised and promised not to go spamming people again etc then there's room for him to come back but right now, I honestly think some people should reconsider their hypocrisy.

Bubbles has been a mate of mine online for years but I'm not backing him on this or his "threats". He's out of line.

DeV.

You do realise, knowing bubbles as you do, this is all part of his plan, whatever it is. He planned to be banned the first time around, but you guys didn't play ball. This is just an excuse for what ever he's going to do next. You really don't think he believes threats will get to you do you? It's all part of the windup routine.

Yeah I guess so but contrary to popular belief I'm really quite a simple bloke. I like people, I'm friendly, I get angry when people hurt me or people/things I care about. My life is pretty much black and white. Yup, there are shades of grey but there's also black and white. :(

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

O btw since bubbles is banned I think I should take over his board, as it had no moderator, I'm sure bubbles wouldn't mind.

Advertisement