Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brava clutch problrm?

Options
  • 09-05-2004 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hi all,Hoprfully ye may be able to help me on this.I have a 00 brava with 40k on clock and when taking off in first gear the car jerks when clutch is half way out.I got a new clutch fitted at 38k under warranty but now the problem has resurfaced but not as bad.Really noticeale with car full of adults.

Anyone got any ideas because garage is scratching their heads even though they did it under goodwill as it isnt covered by toyota cover.It was last done at xmas.

regards kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This should help you
    Question:My clutch chatters and feels "jerky" when I start out from a dead stop. Do I need a new clutch?

Answer:Probably. Chattering and jerking can be caused by oil contaminated clutch linings (due to an oil leak on the back of the engine, usually the rear main crankshaft seal), or by damage to the clutch itself.

For the clutch to engage smoothly, the pressure plate must come down evenly on the disc. In other words, the surface of the pressure plate must be parallel to the flywheel otherwise it won't engage smoothly. If the flywheel is warped (which can happen as a result of overheating and abuse), it can make the clutch grab.

On rare occasion, a manufacturing defect in a new or rebuilt clutch can cause uneven engagement as can improper installation of the clutch. If someone allows the weight of the transmission to "hang" on the clutch, it can bend the clutch disk causing shudder, grabbing or chattering. Damaged splines on the transmission shaft can cause the clutch disk to hang up and grab.

Another overlooked cause may be loose or broken motor mounts

Mike.

Advertisement