Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Power / Silent PC

Options
  • 09-05-2004 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi,

this isn't exactly a tweaking / modding issue but I am looking for a low power comsumtion, low noise PC.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to have to put this machine together myself so I was wondering if people had any ideas.
    The PC will be used as a server (web / mail / experimental )only. So really all i need is Case, MB, HD, RAM, CPU Network card and a CD-ROM while I install the OS (Debian).

I'm thinking about something like this :
    • Power supply ( 90W should be enough...i think)
    • Motherboard, mostly integrated (only need network port)
    • Duron or Athlon (would prefer to stick to AMD)
    • 128 / 256 Ram
    • 40 GB HD
    Anybody any ideas on this?
    Want it to be as silent as possible so I will probably get a fanless heatsink. I suppose power supply and HD will make the most noise after that!
    Is there a difference in power consumption on Durons and Athlons. As an uneducated guess, i'd say an Athlon might use more power.

Any ideas on where i might get stuff like this apart from the usual komplett, marx-computers, overclocker.co.uk etc.
    Think Power supply might be hardest to find.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Look for people with seti farms. They usually are building a few machines and want to run them as quietly and economically as possible. With a minimal of cost of purchase and also of running (electricity costs).

For example read this thread.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17217739

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

As regards the cpu power usage :

AMD Athlon / Duron 900 MHz-1.1 GHz 50W

AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz - 1.4 GHz 55 - 65W

AMD Athlon/ T-Bird/ XP 1.4 - 2.4 GHz 60 - 85W

==================================

5400 RPM IDE Hard Drive 10W

7200 RPM IDE Hard Drive 13W

12X or higher IDE CD-RW Drive 25W

32X or higher IDE CD-ROM Drive 20W

10x or higher IDE DVD-ROM Drive 20W

128 MB RAM 10W

256 MB RAM 20W

512 MB RAM 35 - 40W

What are you going to use the pc for may i ask ?

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

It's going to be used as a server, but it will be sitting in my bedroom!
    So it will never be off, and i want to get a decent nights sleep.

Generally I'm looking to keep the electricity bill and noise down to a minimum.

All of those Wattages listed above, should I add together the components that I will be using to get the power supply I need, or do I just need to pick the highest wattage of the installed components?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

check out the gear at www.mini-itx.com
    latest one is a 1.2 gig chip but but prolly woudlnt be as powerful as a duron at the same speed, they also do 60 and 110 watt PSU's with no fans- need an external power brick tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

Interesting!

They are nice and small.
    I wonder what sort of support those MB's and processors would have on Linux though. However, the Hush ATX (http://www.mini-itx.com/store/configure.asp?sid=HUSH-ATX) looks interesting.

Bit expensive though, and dont really want a celeron!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

hi, keep me posted on how this goes cause i was thinking of doing the same thing :) BTW is debian hard to learn? sorry if it sounds stupid

Advertisement