Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&b

Options
  • 09-05-2004 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I really don't know if this is suited here, but I can't think of a forum where it would be suited.

I'm just curious about something. Does anyone know what it takes for someone to own and run a B&B? Not a big fancy place, just a house with 3 or 4 guestrooms. Do you need a licence? Do you need to do training/courses? If someone could direct me to relevant links, that'd be great.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

<unofficial information>
    I know of a few B+B's that are operating openly on the sly for cash, so you could go that route.

If you want to register with Bord Fáilte, you'll have to be inspected by them and have their standards.
    Even if you don't , other B+B's at peak times will probably gladly send their over spill to you when they are full.
    I'm sure others will know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Originally posted by Earthman
    <unofficial information>
    I know of a few B+B's that are operating openly on the sly for cash, so you could go that route.
    When are we going to get past this 'nudge/wink' attitude to tax evasion. Your friendly cash-based B&B's are not ripping off the distant taxman in Dublin - They are ripping off you & the rest of their neighbours.

Apart from the ethical issue, basing the success of any business or investment on tax evasion is just plain dumb. Just ask any of the bogus non-resident account holders who were absolutely certain in the 80's that the tax man would never come after them. They are no facing substantial Revenue bills (including interest & penalties) and their details will be published if the amounts are large enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are essentially two classes of B&B - up to 3 bedrooms and more than 3 bedrooms. The latter needs specific planning permission and will generally face stricter regulation. There are rules about what you can describe as a "room" - no sticking a double bed in a single room isn't on.

Note that having a business in your home can be a pain - insurance, health and safety regulations, food inspectors, shared bathrooms(?), drunken clients ....

Advertisement