Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Diplomat blames Irish media for hatred of America"

• 09-05-2004 1:49pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Henry McDonald, Ireland editor
    Sunday May 9, 2004
    The Observer

"The Irish media have been accused of helping to fuel the anti-American hatred that led to the suicide attacks on 11 September, 2001."

"...Retired American diplomat George Dempsey has claimed sections of the Irish press and broadcasters share the responsibility for what happened in New York and Washington DC on 9/11. In an exclusive extract from his memoirs published next month, the former head of the United States Embassy's political section in Dublin has also launched a bitter critique of Irish foreign policy...."

"...Dempsey, who served as a senior US diplomat in Dublin between 1988 and 1992, singled out the Irish Times and RTE in particular..."

..."The ex-diplomat claimed that the Irish media were dominated by 'an invasion of the body snatchers from a planet peopled by time-warped 1960s radicals and Marxist revisionist historians'...."

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1212721,00.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

dont ya just hate those ****in American Diplomats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

So it was our fault then .....Hmm

better get those air raid shelters built lads the big bad yanks are off on another of there self important blame every one but themselfs rants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When I saw that topic line I thought he just meant there was a soft left-wing bias in the reporting of US policy (which there is - his crack about 60s radicals is correct in part). But now I read the article and this guy needs help.
    Let us be clear about this. The Irish media, in general, bear their share of the responsibility for what happened in the United States

Of course! Never a day passes without Bin Liner consulting www.ireland.com www.unison.ie not to mention www.rte.ie/news (commies all of them!)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

He added that during the build-up to last year's invasion of Iraq, 'Irish attention seemed preoccupied with questions of Ireland's neutrality

no ****, the same way the US was preoccupied with it's own neutrality during the second world war before the Japanese gave them a right hook.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ah yes, of course we're responsible... its nothing to do with American Foreign Policy or anything.
    Anyway, lets not get into that.

This is a rediculous statement, its just as stupid as saying the Irish actually had a hand in the attacks themselves (i guess thats what the guy is hinting at)

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

In his critique of Irish foreign policy at the time of the 1991 Gulf war, Dempsey noted that Ireland 'was the only country in the civilised world which did not support the coalition in that war - the only assistance lent by Ireland was to allow US military transports to transit Shannon airport'.

I could have sworn that we are a neutral country. But maybe I'm wrong. It must be the media's fault...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

"...Dempsey, who served as a senior US diplomat in Dublin between 1988 and 1992, singled out the Irish Times and RTE in particular..."

So he was part of Bush Admin v1.0 then? Figures...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yes yes the red dog's in our back yard and were feeding it cookies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Crikey, didn't get the paper today but we're constantly told that our little country is insignificant on the world stage and by that I mean, we as a nation think that the big issues here make news around the word. Sure our closest neighbours wouldn't even be able to give the name of Mary McAleese or Bertie Ahern.

Storm in a teacup - let him head off back to the US and chatter away to his Washington buddies over a Starbucks and Kirspy Kreme donughts. While he is eating and drinking the American dream he can ponder the real reasons why the US is such a staunch defender of freedom in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by flogen
    This is a rediculous statement, its just as stupid as saying the Irish actually had a hand in the attacks themselves (i guess thats what the guy is hinting at)
    Remember several flights took off from Boston ..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Bertie better hide those WMD! looks like time for Gaelic Jihad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Clearly expressing an opinion is tantamount to flying an aeroplane into a building :rolleyes:

psst! the wmd are in croker-but you'll never get access...infidels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

George Dempsey is talking utter rubbish.

Advertisement