Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony t630 or not?

Options
  • 09-05-2004 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

right i wanna get a new phone for my birthday, at the moment the t630 is the one i really like at the mo, i like sonys software on theyre phones, it has bluetooth n a camera which is cool too and i think it looks the business, but ive seen the pic quality and its pretty horrendous to be honest :o so does anyone have any other ideas about phones i should get/wait for, i like the look and the features of the forthcoming sony k700, dunno when its gonna be released though, so any help would be appreciated lads,
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Depends on your budget, but if you can go without bluetooth, the Nokia 3200 is fairly alright for €213 on expansys.ie

What features do you actually want/need in your new phone??
    - triband?
    - bluetooth?
    - camera (0.3 / 0.1 MPixel or > 1MP)?
    - voice recorder?
    - colour screen?

etc,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

well i could live without bluetooth, it has to have a camera, as long as the quality is ok on the camera itself, i dont care about quality on pc cos i have a decent digi cam anyway,dont want voice recorder, has to have color screen and triband, any more suggestions, id like a phone that not too many ppl have, id be willing to pay about 350, and im not gonna get a siemens :) any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

wait for the k700 like I do (or the moto mpx100)
    way better features and not too expensive
    hopefully available in june

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

any idea how much its going to be? and where are you going to buy it? i usually buy stuff from ebay cos its pretty much the only place i know thats good for cheap phones and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

k700 is 'due' in Q2 according to SE, so some time over the summer time all going well - SIM-Free will likely be expensive at first, unless you get an operator picking it up immediately (like the T610) although the Irish operators aren't known for doing that...

what you would get from the K700 over the T630.... bigger screen (both 64k TFT), larger pic capture (640x460), capable of capturing video clips, 40 poly 'voices', integrated FM Radio, 32MB shared memory (but no expansion), and an integrated photo 'light' (although their clip on flash would be more powerful)

k700_cebit04_front_devices.ie.jpg

... the K700 is a little shorter than the T630 but also a little wider, but you do get a bigger screen and they have adopted a more 3-D icon approach for the latest system ... they are really going for the 'camera look' with the reverse of their handsets (initially introduced in the T630 design)

k700_cebit04_back_devices.ie.jpg

it was a neat handset but not as remarkable a design statement as the T610 was when it appeared (design appreciation is a very personal thing though ;))... for my next SE handset I think the S700 would be more my cup of tea...

depending on when your birthday is you could be waiting for your pressie if you hold out for a K700 - bearing in mind the 'early adopter' SIM-Free prices - and be careful of all the eBay sharks/scams for 'brand new' handsets when they are released...

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

why didnt they do MMC expansion on it? sureley its to rival or attempt to get the same market share as the 6230 ? or not?

they may well include memory expansion into more handsets in the future... they just seem to be including it with the higher end ones for the moment i.e. S700 and Z1010 have an MS Duo slot... but it would have been great to have seen one included with the K700 especially as the media player can handle audio and video (would be a Sony Memory Stick type expansion not likely to be an MMC!)...

when I asked about it they just pointed to the 32MB shared internal memory (which is pretty good for a 'regular' handset's internal memory) - plus not including expansion capability keeps the cost down and requires less dev/testing...

bear in mind they also have to appeal to the operators so the K700 the media player can handle streaming (and so revenue generation opportunities for any operators who want to take advantage of that)

for anyone who wants a decent amount of music the HBM-30 Bluetooth Music Handsfree is listed as a compatible accessory for phone

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I like the look of the SE K700. I guess Vodafones first task will be to totally ruin the nice GUI a la T610.

What OS has Sony used on the new 800 and 900 ?

Talking about memory cards I'm surprised Sont haven't sought to include MS slots on their phones yet, now that would be nice !

ZENER

the Sony Ericsson P800 and P900 phones are based on the Symbian OS, both have Memory Stick Duo slots (max 128MB)

Sony Ericsson will include Memory Stick Duo slots in two upcoming handest models the 3G enabled Z1010 and the high end S700, and would expect more models to do so in the future

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

The cost of the memory stick in the P900 is pretty poor
    compared to the cost of SDRAM or compact flash.

I havent bothered even bothered using it I consider
    it that p*ss poor..

• Advertisement

yeah - it's a pretty new format (around 18 months) and Sony charge their a premium for 'branded' sticks - although it's come down a lot from when it was first introduced - first SONY 128MB MS Duo I got was over Eur 110 (in the US) the most recent was about Eur 75 (amazon.co.uk)

would be nice if it they were cheaper alright, but it makes a big difference to me having the extra memory available on the handset they were purchased anyhow... only gripe I have is the current 128MB limit (i.e. no support for the Pro Duo sticks)... also, more recently the likes of SanDisk and Lexar producing MS Duo's so they are undercutting the Sony 'brand' sticks

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

what's the difference between a regular memory stick and a duo memory stick?

size (smaller) and price (higher, currently)

ms_v_msduo.jpg

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

will older, bigger memory sticks work on duo devices... and just eh... stick out a bit?

i have a 64mb old style one you see..

afriad not - the duo is thinner, shorter and slightly narrower than a regular memory stick - a regular memory stick wouldn't fit in a duo slot

a duo can fit into an adapter (same physical size as a regular memory stick) allowing it to be used in a regular memory stick slot though

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It depends what you are used too. I bought a T610 after having used thr 7650 for well over a year. The phone itself had some excellent features but I just couldn't stick with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I can vouch for the T630,

Good fone,
    nice screen,
    good camera (for a phone).
    Nice size.

unless you want to gety a pda get a t630.

i have mine about 5 months and its great!

Advertisement