Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite childhood book

Options
  • 09-05-2004 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

so what is the one book from your childhood that you loved the most?

mine is To Kill A Mocking Bird, i read it when i was 10 and loved it although i didnt fully understand the racism theme until i did it for my junior cert. its still one of my all-time favourites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

"War of the Worlds", "The Time Machine" and "Collected Short Stories" by H. G. Wells

I was fascinated by those books when I read them at about 9 or 10 years old. Might explain why I'm such a misfit weirdo freak now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

Originally posted by peachypants
    mine is To Kill A Mocking Bird, i read it when i was 10 and loved it although i didnt fully understand the racism theme until i did it for my junior cert. its still one of my all-time favourites.
    read that too when i was younger. really enjoyed it. atticus! what a crazy name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 marcowil

"The Silver Sword" by Ian Serraillier or "I am David" by Anne Holm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Kunst

when i was fairly young i really enjoyed the táin. had to reread it for classics recently too which was good.

but......

take my advice don't try to read cryptonomicon when you're 11!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I remember a kids' book called Fleá Bhricriu. Twas a Cúchulainn adventure and it had lots of violence and pictures of beheadings which I thought were cool. And, it was based on a real Irish story.

I was very inspired by Matilda as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Out of the shelter, by David Lodge or The Machine Gunners by Robert Weston (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I had a big book of all Oscar Wildes stories... loved it.
    Also all the Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson fighting fantasy books.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

The BFG by Roald Dahl & A tale of two cities by Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

I used to love "The Secret Garden", "The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe", anything by Enid Blyton, also the Nancy Drew books

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

oo or the witches by roald dahl. scary stuff.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 FireFly

I used to read fairytales like the Grimms collection or Hans Christian Anderson, also lots of mythology Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse, if it had magic and a good story I read it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Watership down was my favourite when i was younger, still is one of my favourite now.
    I still have my copies of 'To kill a Mockinbird' and 'I am David' - both brillant books.

Also I loved anything by Mildred D. Taylor , roll of thunder hear my cry, and let the circle be unbroken are excellent reads, recently found out that there were three more books to this series, and they are just as good as the first ones.
    But i can't get the last book, 'The well, Davids story', so if anyone knows anything about it let me know. thanks

gogo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I loved all of Dahls stuff - fantastic imagination.

The Hobbit is way up there on my list.

Wells, Clarke, Asimov (my dad was a big sf reader and heavily influenced me) when I got a little older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    Also all the Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson fighting fantasy books.

I collected all of them...Still have them in fact. Brilliant books :)

I also loved Poe when I was younger, still do in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

The Machine Gunners by Robert Weston

Ahhhh youve just reminded me of that. Excellent book. I remember not being able to put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The Twits - Roald Dahl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 oduffy

Hi Guys,

My favourite book from my youth was 'The Moon is Down' by 'John Steinbeck',

Ollie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

I loved 'The Famous Five' and 'Secret Seven' books. As far as I remember I read all of them. Then there was 'The Hobbit' and and a thriller about a football team that I can't remember the name of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

I remember gettin the twits and i wasnt able to put it down,it was the first time i recall staying up till about 6 in the morning reading. Any Dahl is great stuf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

C.S. Lewis's Narnia books which were lovely. I'm jealous of kids these days though - they get to read Philip Pullman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmmm

When younger, I was a fan of Enid Blyton books such as Secret Seven, followed by Famous Five. Also I had a few Hardy Boys books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Fantastic Mr Fox - Roald Dahl

That fox truly owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Everything by Enid Blyton. Incredibly dated now, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

As far as i know enid blyton is now banned from libraries and public schools for the racism used in her books, the Amelia Jane books in particular. She used dergoraty (sp?) names for the gollywog.
    It's only right but i can't help feeling that a lot of kids are missing out on alot of good books.
    Who didn't read the famous five/mallory towers, etc ,the list is endless. These are books that we all grew up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

anything by roald dahl i think i read all his books he had such a great imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Originally posted by Funky
    Fantastic Mr Fox - Roald Dahl

That fox truly owned.

LOL, Cider drinking animals, COOL!

mine's 'The Terbulant Term of Tike Tyler'

'twas cool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I used to devour books when I was a kid ... wish I had the time now :(

I loved to read:

all the Enid Blyton books [especially the Mystery Series]
    all the Roald Dahl books [especially The Witches]
    The Narnia Series [by CS Lewis]
    The Bobsy Twins [by Laura Lee Hope]
    The Borrowers [by Mary Norton]
    Billy Bunter [by Frank Richards]
    Alfred Hitchcok & The 3 Investigators [by Robert Arthur]
    The Hardy Boys [by Franklin W. Dixon]

Saturday in Templeogue Library was the best time of the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Just William by Richmal Crompton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Noddy to start with,...no seriously. Losts enid blyton books. All the ones about goblins and fantasy stuff. Then Famous five, Secret seven, all those books about school etc. There was one series eabout a magic tree with all these mad characters which was great.

Then Biggles. The Adventure series were great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Amazing... was reading this thread and 2 books I really enjoyed as a kid just popped into my mind. One was called 'The Bogwoppits', about some kid who went to live with her miserable old granny, and there were these little blue creatures living in the sewers below the house. I used to love it when i was about 8....

There was another one I really loved, can't remember what it was called - it was about this old granny who had a really smart cat, and the granny was a master thief. I'd love to know the name if it sounds familiar to anyone!!

Advertisement