Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite childhood book

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Beatrix

I loved The Folk of the Faraway Tree... it gave me beautiful dreams!

I also liked the Narnia series from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

any of the garden gang books!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i cant remember the name properly but it was something like smelly bumsted it was very funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Dancing duck

I was big into those Marita Conlon McKenna books. Under the Hawthorn Tree and other such melodramatic, period dramas.

Jacqueline Wilson and Philip Ridley both held my attention and humoured me in the process.

Of course Enid Blyton, Anne Fine, Paul Jennings and Roald Dahl were also high on the agenda. Just a little further down the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by joolsveer
    Just William by Richmal Crompton

Yes those books were the business. I thought they were f-ing hilarious when I was 9 or 10.

Enid Blyton books were gay, let's face it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

'Where the Wild things are' = don't know who wrote it... Max in his wolf outfit, sailing away on his bed to the land where the wild things are... brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The fantastic mr fox! . . class

there was a book about the adventures of some culchie kid in the country ... can't remember his name ... timolin or something (probably something a bit more irish) ... Pat Ingles read from it on the Den a few times I think ....

up until I read The Sum of all fears .... which has a special place in my heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankie Smith

morgan llewelyn's brian boru for some strange reason, as well as lord of the rings (i hated the films), and jane eyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Envy

My first obsession was Roald Dahl. I loved The Witches, but Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach were my favourites.

Then I moved on to The Famous Five, and fell in love with that series. Looking back, though, the books seem so -- well -- gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Alice in Wonderland, and Through the Looking Glass have to be my favourite childhood books...i still reread them regularly :) and find somehting new and funny int them everytime, they really are books for adults as much as children.

But also....
    Anything by Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Oscar Wildes childrens stories, the Narnia Chronicles, The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings trilogy, all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

I can't believe I forgot the Mr. Men books. I remember back in third class, there was only one copy of Mr. Skinny in the library and the rush to get it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I used to read a series of books called 'The Bottersnikes and Gumbles'

It was about these big reptillian Bottersnikes that lived in junkyards and they were always trying to enslave the Gumbles, who were pudgy little white guys...

Also, a series of books called "The Bed that Went Whooosh!" about a magic bed that took a kid to different places every night...

Oh, and series of books called Tubby Tin. He was a little robot who flew around in a cool spaceship and went and met with some really strange aliens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

I read the Diceman when I was 16 - I really loved it. I would hate any kids of mine reading it before this age though.

Before that it was probably "Swiss family Robinson". (age 12 ish)

I didn't read "The Lord of the Rings" until I was 17 or 18 - had I read as a kid I think this would have been my favourite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

I read the Diceman when I was 16 - I really loved it.

On second thoughts - I would be unhappy if they read it before 18 - OK I'm a self confessed hypocryte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilo moo

Killah_B wrote:
    'Where the Wild things are' = don't know who wrote it... Max in his wolf outfit, sailing away on his bed to the land where the wild things are... brilliant!

Maurice Sendak! such an amazing book. i liked another book of his too, about a little boy who fought a lion and went to see the queen... something like that, wish i could remember his name

also anything by dr.seuss. the lorax and the sneetchs are two of my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

The Padington Bear books were my favorite when I was 3, I also loved The Billy Goats Gruff...when I was 7 I loved Dune and The Illustrated Man, then at 9 I loved Wuthering Heights...my brother is 6 and a half years older than me, so I ended up reading his books instead but I don't regret it. Chocky by John Wyndham and The City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke are two science fiction books that span all ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Funky wrote:
    Fantastic Mr Fox - Roald Dahl

That fox truly owned.
    Seconded. Farmer Bean rocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The King of Ireland's Son and Irish Fairy Tales were my favourites.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486297225/qid=1092346493/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-8493923-4518044

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000996L4/qid=1092346689/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_10_5/026-8493923-4518044

(One had illustrations by Rackham, the other by Willy Pogani.)

I loved the Just William stories. Enid Blyton, in a McDonald's kind of a delicious empty calories way.

The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford and My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell.

The Story of Ferdinand, Orlando the Marmalade Cat and The Little Engine that Could when I was little.

Later, The Owl Service by Alan Garner - very scary - then The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin.

Oh, and the Bible, fabulous stories brilliantly told, blood and guts and language to tear your heart out.

And Damon Runyon. And PG Wodehouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Oh, and by the way, you know the kid next door in To Kill a Mockingbird (also a favourite book of mine - oh yeah, and I left out Les Miserables, my favourite book of all time, though I've only read it in English) - that kid was Truman Capote, a childhood friend of Harper Lee's.

Advertisement