Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom connection dead as a stone

• 09-05-2004 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

I have had eircom broadband for a whopping two weeks without a single problem until now.

Went to bed thursday and there were three lights on the Netopia Cayman 3300 series modem that they sent me. The Power light, the USB light and the DSL sync light.

woke up friday the DSL sync light is of and i am now using a dial up connection at the moment.

I cann up eircom support and they start asking is this connected to that and is that connected to the other. I tell them that it was working fine the previous day and nothing was touched. They threaten me with a 60 euro bill iif some technician has to get up of his arse and come out to the house to check the line. and to top it off im paying 33 cent a minute to hear this crap.

They dont have any way of contacting their technicians on the ground by telephone and the lazy gits dont work saturday or sunday.

im just wondering if the exchange went up in a ball of flames would they wait till monday to call the fire brigde.

I have told them that I want the technician out no later than monday morning If he dont show up im sending the modem and all the other ****e they sent me back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

When you configured the modem did you type in your DSL username and password or just accept the default 'eircom' username?

If you accepted the default, get uour username/password off support and enter it into the modem.

This happened to me today (after about two weeks ok) and that was the fix.

Later,

Grayarea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

In reply to your post the modem was working perfectly logged in and all for about two weeks.

It took them five days to get a technician out. even he said they were taking the michael out of me when he revealed that the modem was faulty.

if anyone sees my next phone bill they are going to think i am a pervert with all the bloody premium rate calls on the itemised bill.

The modem was supposed to arrive today and guess what ... it didnt

oh and one more oddity

as the sales department are supposed to be responsible for sending out replacement modems I called them at 7.05 pm from workto be greeted with the following recorded message

Our offices are currently closed. Our opening hours are from 9am to 9pm Monday to Friday.

This was at 7.05 PM on TUESDAY. the last time I looked at a calander Tuesday was betweenMonday and Friday. The Number I dialled was 1800503303

Originally posted by fcddunne

if anyone sees my next phone bill they are going to think i am a pervert with all the bloody premium rate calls on the itemised bill.
    It's a disgrace that you should have to dial a premium rate number for support on a product you pay €40 a month for.
    Imagine if NTL or Sky operated from a 1550 number...

Send them an invoice for the call charges with a copy of your bill demanding a refund/payment withing 7 days or you will bring them to the small claims court.
    Include a charge for your time off work etc.
    The faulty modem that they supplied is their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Earthman
    It's a disgrace that you should have to dial a premium rate number for support on a product you pay €40 a month for.
    No, it's a disgrace that so many people are dumb enough to sign up for a service with a premium rate support number when there are cheaper services available that don't have a premium rate support number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Originally posted by Ripwave
    No, it's a disgrace that so many people are dumb enough to sign up for a service with a premium rate support number when there are cheaper services available that don't have a premium rate support number.

Actually Ripwave, I believe that's a free customer choice. A choice I made in fact! And I made an informed decision, not a dumb one. And in terms of service and reliability my decision has been proven to be correct. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

When you configured the modem did you type in your DSL username and password or just accept the default 'eircom' username?

According to eircom accounts made after 2nd of aprill for some reason are to use "eircom" as their username and "broadband1" as their password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by BendiBus
    Actually Ripwave, I believe that's a free customer choice.
    I never said it wasn't. A choice I made in fact!
    And I made an informed decision, not a dumb one.
    They aren't exclusive choices, but even if your choice was an informed choices, the same can't be said of many other people (as evidenced by some of the posts here, from people who only find out that there are other options available after they've signed up with eircom).
    And in terms of service and reliability my decision has been proven to be correct. :)
    There are plenty of people with IOL and UTV who also believe that they made the correct choice. You're not suggesting that they're wrong, are you?

[

Had eircom worked properly it would have been one of the more reliable internet providers around. The problem was with their modem that they sent out and these things happen.

The problem i have is that they are incapable due to either laziness on the part of their customer care reps to deal with a problem when it does arise.

Was on to them again today and here is a summary of what has happened during the week

Monday technician says modem is screwed so call 1530555444 and tell them this and request a new modem
    I request for it to be curriered down to me they say it will
    Rep never sent request for new modem

Tuesday ring all the eircom numbers to find out where my modem is none of the reps have the number for the other departments in their company
    then i get the recorded message mentioned above. aparantly they all took the night off because they were revealing a new way in which they could rip off their customers (launching a new product)

Wednesday ring eircom to find out where the hell my modem is and they tell me that the gimp that said that they would send a request for a new modem to product department never did so i have to call premium rate number again to request that they send a request to get new modem AGAIN.
    so theyare using SDS to send out the modem well thats what they say anyway.

The rep i got today knew he was on a premium rate number

Good...Evening...Thank...you...for...calling...eircom....broadband...support..........
    this...call...is...charged...at...thirty...three...cent...a...minute...can...i..
    .have...your...d...s...l...number...please

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

Call and demand to speak to Mark Peters.

I got the run around on the "free" modem and finally got through to Mark, he sorted me out in a couple of days and kept me updated of the situation (he actually called me :).

Great guy.

Grayarea.

I got a call last night from eircom i forget the guys name but he told me that the modem would be fastracked down to me.

collected it today from the railway station and have packed up the old one to be sent back.

im back on the broadband wagon after a week

• Advertisement

Just to let people know I got my phone bill today. All the calls to eiircom technical support following the runaround eircom broadband gave me came to a grand total of:

€47.03

there is a lesson to be learned here. try to call the stay as far away from 1530555444 if at all possible when you have an eircom broadband problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

indeed, simply log onto dsl-support.eircom.net or post something here . i rang u- eircom the other day with an problem with networking pcs to use the Netopia Caymen 3346, i was on the eircom site aswell at dsl support reading what was there and the biddy on the other end was reading every thing word for word that was on my screen!!!

I got one sound guy tho, i asked him an question for my home line if i could get bb and he said your in range and he said he would find out why it was failing me and ring me back.

I didnt expect him to but alas 30 mins later he phoned me up, and told me that my line was not of an great quality (which its not really) and he said that and i Quote "that dosent mean you cant get bb, just that the lazy lumps in eircom repair wont repair your line, ring 1901 and tell them that you get disconnected from phone calls all the time and the other person cant hear you that well, see what they say and give me an ring back when they fix/replace the line"

Nice-est bloke i ever talked to in eircom bb sales :) (asides the Iol Guys) so the fault is "4: Assigned to Crew"

*Crosses fingures*

Advertisement