Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTR Go Live in the North (and parts of the south)

Options
  • 09-05-2004 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

According to an article in this week's Strabane Chronicle, NTR are to go live with a wireless service in the town next week. There was no details of cost etc but it did mention that the service would have a radius of 10km and would cover Lifford and possible other towns along the border.

This is newswrothy for a couple of reasons, firstly NTR=IBB and they will be taking on BT who have already enabled the Strabane exchange. Secondly since they will be providing a service in Lifford it will mean that they may have access to some of the cheapest broadband in Ireland.

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

coverage_map.gif

website

pricey enough for the top two packages...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Just spoken to a really helpful guy in StrabaneBroadBand.

Castlefinn is just about 10km from Strabane, slighly more from their base station, but I do have line of sight to the TV mast where they are located. He doesn't think it will work for me but he's going to arrange a test to check it out.

Fingers crossed.

Martin Harran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

To be honest I am boggled by this completely ?

Who are they aiming there market at ?

As many in these here parts know I have just moved down from Belfast, which is already well covered with cheap xDSL,Cable and Leased Lines. I am glad that something is being done for the people of Strabane, Lifford etc, some of my close friends are from that part of the world but ... the majority of the areas they are covering are already well served with other technologies, their main market would be principally among the very few people/businesses who can't connect to these services.

Put this in the context of all the major Irish towns, which are broadband starved, to whom Irish Broadband have been promising to deliver all kinds of things for years.
    IrishBroadband now have the licenses they wanted, we have listened eagerily to their propaganda now for YEARS, what are they actually going to deliver ?

Artane has been sitting on the coming soon list, for almost as long as it took from the launch of NTR Broadband to it actually offering a service, and it is still there. NTR makes its millions off the back of the Irish consumer, NTR makes its millions of my back, €1.35 on the East Line, €1.50 on the west link, and €1.60 on the M1, I wouldn't like to think how much I give them per month. When are they going start delivering something, I am sick to my teeth of their rhetoric.

Anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Martin,

will you let us know how the testing goes as I know some people who will be interested.

Thanks

M.

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    Martin,

will you let us know how the testing goes as I know some people who will be interested.

Thanks

M.

Sure will, hoping the test will be next week.

Martin

• Advertisement

seems I should calm myself a litttle, although I am suspicious of their 6 to 8 weeks, the fact they have secured high sites is encouraging, but last time I called the high sites was going to be the 'Regency Airport' Hotel .... :rolleyes:
    Dear Ray,
    We have a transmitter that will be placed on the Omada building in Killester and another one will be place on the Odlums building in the docks. Both these transmitter should be offering good coverage of the Artane area, however they will not go live for approximately another 6 to 8 weeks.
    If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to contact me by e-mail or on XXXXXXXXX.

Kind Regards,

Damian Murphy Abbott
    Residential Broadband Sales

Mr_Man wrote:
    Martin,
    Just to bring you up to date on this, I still haven't got my test done as they ran into a lot of problems (many of them in areas outside their control) which seriously delayed their rollout.

They have kept in touch with me and contacted me last week to say that the problems have been resolved now and the test should be done soon.

Still keeping my fingers crossed :)

Martin

14 weeks on Artane is still coming soon ... me arse ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

IBB's site is not up to date, so don't use it to gauge whether a service has been rolled out. They're live in Bray despite what the site says. Call them to find out the real story. You'd think it would make sense to keep the site up-to-date, particularly for an ISP. Their products are different as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Hi,

do you know what type of kit they are using in Bray, is it the NLOS stuff they are supposed to be upgrading all their sites to, or the older LOS gear ?

Thanks

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

DonegalMan,

I was not aware that our 'County town', which is the seat and location of Donegal County Council's administrative office's and An-Post's main local sorting office has not got Broadband.

When here in Ballygobackwards*/ Ballybofey. I am flying high on a UTV Clicksilver Broadband 4 Month Free Trial, and it's a dream come true.

I have never had so much fun - on the Internet - in my life.

This is an utterly inexscusable situation. I notice that even the Glenties area exchange has been enabled for some time, but then our beloved (Pat the Cope Gallagher T.D.) lives there.

Can I suggest that a quiet word in his ear might be appropriate at this juncture. He is IMO the most competant Pro-Active reliable Politician in the North West.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

C'mon Paddy - Ballybofey's far bigger than Lifford! There's nothing there to really justify bringing broadband there ahead of towns like Buncrana, Carndonagh, Moville etc.. Donegal County Council has their own system sorted out well enough, I worked there in Tech Support in Lifford. If it wasn't for (a) the Council (b) Strabane, would there be anything at all in Lifford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Let's wait for a reply from a Lifford born resident ! Dun. Should be fun :)

Advertisement