Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

correct dos disk to use?>...

Options
  • 09-05-2004 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

hey folks- i'm trying to install windows on a laptop with no harddrive, so i have the cd copied to a folder on c and am running winnt(setup) from there which is fine- however the problem is that it seems to be grinding to a halt- now wjehen i start to install windows it tells me it would be more advisableto use a boot disc with smartdrive on it (smartdrv) this enables some sort of file caching or something- problem is win98 boot disk does not support smartdrive and if i use the dos6.22 dos bootdisk it supports smartdrive but cannot see my c drive as that version of dos soes not have lba or large hard disk support- any ideas on what to do?
    ta
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I don't get what you mean. Your trying to install windows onto a laptop with no hard drive, do you mean no cd rom drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Use a WIn98 OEM boot disk and when in DOS get to the I386 folder and type "winnt".

It does support smartdrive , smartdrive is just a virtual drive it creates using the system memory to store some files.

Shouldn be a problem really, there may be somfin else up ,is the XP you copied all there (inc hidden files on the cd rom there about 5 in main Dir structure)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah you can grab it off a Win98 CD. (d:\win98\smartdrv.exe I think it was).
    It's been a while since I had to do this, but when you boot off your win98 CD, you'll have a ramdrive on A:\ with boot files and a few utils on it.
    What I did before was to copy those boot files to C:\ (either manually or 'sys c:'), and copy over the ramdrive.exe from d:\ (or copy to a floppy or whatever suits you)
    Just run ramdrive.exe after booting off C:\
    Then run winnt as normaly.

FYI an absence of smartdrive won't prevent windows from installing... it'll just install incredibly slowly.
    smartdrive is a disk caching program that buffers file transfers to speed things up.
    You may have to leave it for a few hours, but if you're in no hurry... works for me anyhoo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

lol no hardrive..... i meant cdrom, sorry,
    yes i got it done thanks, i endedup just geetting a dos disk with esssential utilities on it and it flew, well compaared to running it without smartdrv (i'd say i could of been looking at avery very long time without it)
    thanks folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement