Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless broadband

• 09-05-2004 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭

can some one tell me wats the deal with wireless broadband because normal broadband isnt available in my area for another 1 year so could i get it or wat :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: so help plz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

where do you live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i live in tipperary

i live in tipp so can i get wireless and is it good for gaming or is it the same as satellite broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by snoopdog
    i live in tipp so can i get wireless and is it good for gaming or is it the same as satellite broadband
    Terrestrial wireless solutions should be as good as or better than DSL. Satellite solutions face an uphill battle against the speed of light and the huge distance between here and a geostationary orbit - a bit over 36,000km up and another 36,000km on the way down for each packet that travels that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

Your only hope is Satellite probably! Rubbish for gaming!!!!
    See here :
    http://www.mediasat.ie/

The 49.99/month one, is a uni-direction satellite feed, meaning you upload through modem / ISDN, not too bad if you plan to downloading but brutal for uploading.
    The good thing about that is though, that the modem is also a decoder and you can pick up free to air satellite on you PC aswell (software available from technotrend.de).

However, Eircom should be rolling out a Wireless service sometime soon. Don't know any price details etc. but read this article:

http://www.bbwexchange.com/publications/newswires/page546-618455.asp

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

thanks for the help but tell me is wireless good for gaming and how can u find out is it available in my area? i more thing is wireless the same as satellite broadband which is totaly crap for gaming:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Tipperary is rather large. Irishwan covers part of it. DSL is available in parts of it also as far as I am aware. Are you in a major town? Near Limerick? Or the middle of nowhere?

Wireless is not the same as satellite. Satellite comes from space, ie 36,000 km away. Wireless will cover a mile or maybe 2. There are obviously rather different pings.

hey i live just outside tipp 15mins away so cant get wireless also i rang eircom today and asked them is broadband available in my area they looked it up

they said no my exchanged isnt updated my line isnt suitable they said they will up date it in a year and the worse thing i live only 2 mins away from the interchange or exchange wat ever they call it

hey i cant just wait anymore for broadband so can i do anything plz to get broadband

i use the internet for gaming and i cant play online with a 56k laggggggggggggggggg
    :confused::confused::confused: :

yo hostyle thax for helping but can i answer the question above also wats the deal with irishwan wat is explain plz:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Its easier to visit their website: midwestWAN

Put simply: a group of people (appears to be mostly gamers) put antennas on their roof with wireless cards connected and can then connect to each other using them. Some people connected have broadband, and may share it out. I'm not an active member so I don't know for sure. Theres people connected together all across Limerick, Clare and Tipperary, maybe even farther.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dm

try also http://southeastwan.org/

you need

- line-of-sight to a "node" on the wan.

-Then you contact them and try to get somebody to come over and do a test from your place.

- if that works, you get some equipment (<=200 yoyos i believe) - a wireless card, an antenna for your roof (they're small) and some cable to joing the two.

- when that all works youre in. Can game with others on the wan or on the internet. At various points on the wan is somebody who has a dsl line or two connected to it and you get out to the internet through them.

If your too far away from southeastwan (waterford.wexford,carlow,kilkenny,tip ??) and midwestwan (limerick, clare) [should be called southwestwan ??] then you can

- wait for dsl

- if dsl is available within some miles of you, get somebody there to put up and antenna and also maybe somebody in between and connect through them (set up your own tip wan / southMidlandsWan)

The irishwan people are generally very helpful, check the web for more info.

just lke to say thanks for help but i still dont get it this irishwan can any1 tell me is it good for gaming and wat equipment i need and does it cost try to explain it to me :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Firstly, go onto the irishwan forum and register - make sure to include your location when registering.

Theres a 'make yourself known' thread - i would suggest that you post there, briefly stating where your located and asking if theres any possibility for you to connect up with the wan from there.

Click on the 'search' key - input 'tipperary' - and review the results. As you will see, there are a few people from tipp who have posted there before - if any of them are likely to be within line of sight of your location, you might want to contact them directly to see what the score is.

As regards gaming, it should be ok. Broadband costs will vary - so you would have to make further enquiries in that regard in the event that its possible for you to connect up...but its not likely to be any more expensive than what you would have to pay if you were a customer of netsource/utv/eircom, etc....
    As regards equipment, from what i can gather its a case of how much do you want to spend...but you would probably be able to get setup for €150.

Even if its not possible at the moment, if you have posted on the forum, then at least others know that someone else in the area is trying to connect...and maybe they will get in contact with you.

hope that helps. Good luck.

hey eurorunner thax man for the help sound:) :):):):D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 runge100

I live in donegal, and I upgraded to a satelite broadband, this is uploading via telephone and downloading via satellite. This was good, for downloads (was getting 60 to 70k/sec). My only fustration was the software, it was unreliable and I had to reboot several times to get it to work. also u need to login everytime.

NCR broadband (foyle broadband) has recently setup on sherrifs mountain and if you are able to pass the free line of sight test to this atenna you can get wireless broadband.
    Installation is expensive, advertised at £99 installation, or in my case over £250 due to the distance i was from sheriffs mountain, however this increase in cost was due to a very expensive dish that need to be installed on my chimney(looks like the old bsb dishes) and £29.99 a month for connection of 512k, (upload and download)
    The quality is excellent. I am always connected 24/7, no login screens, soon as i switch on pc its connected. This is an excellent way to get broadband and the speeds are comparable to standard broadband.
    I have done extensive tests with online games, downloads, and recently using my web cam and its fantastic.
    I would recommend this to anyone who is able to get this.
    If you want to email me any questions on installation or anything technical please send me an email to runge100@hotmail.com and i would be pleased to answer it.
    and no i am not working or involved in this company, just a very happy customer who thinks that this is the future of broadband.
    At least i saved my monthly subscription to Eircom

regards
    Runge

Advertisement