Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tunes to convert the masses

• 09-05-2004 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

if you were making a cd to convert your mates who listen to rock, rap etc exclusively to dance, what would you put on it? i'm trying to convince my friends it's not all skanger hot fm music? i reckon i'd start downtempo, maybe where do i begin by chemical brothers and stagger by underworld, all i need by air, then crank things up a notch with some french housey sh!t, les rhytmes digitales-sometimes, then into phonix by daft punk, then the lush remix of that liberty x song, then belfast, and finally rez cowgirl and maybe flim by aphex twin to take them down. i've purposely avoided anything trancey or too hard housey. it's also possible to just give them dubnobasswithmyheadman. thats what got me;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Generally having a good time in an establishment that plays that type of music is enough to "convert" someone.

I wish people were more liberal in music preferences.
    I’ve got everything from Carmen to Cannibal Corpse in my winamp playlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

That's true. underworld at witness roped in about 4 friends last year, it was better than moping around to coldplay by a million per cent they said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh i used to be a big fan of rock,i still am but ive opened my mind more,just give them a year or so and theyll realise all good music aint just rock.
    F*ck making the cd,bring them to a top class dj set ; groove armada or something like that and that'll convert them

i used to be big into rock aswell, it's almost like a logical progression in people that they're apprehensive at first of blips and breaks, but end up loving electronic. oxygen will open a lot of eys a reckon, it's moving further dancy and urban than rockish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭pyramid man

Originally posted by Garth_Vader
    Yeh i used to be a big fan of rock,i still am but ive opened my mind more,just give them a year or so and theyll realise all good music aint just rock.
    F*ck making the cd,bring them to a top class dj set ; groove armada or something like that and that'll convert them

Exactly the same as me. I was a metaller and then I listened to some good dance music and that converted me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

You could possibly start off with some more comercial stuff - Daft Punk, Underworld, Chemical Brothers etc. and use an "if you liked that now try this:" approach.

Think I tried to convince myself that stuff like Goldie's Timeless was good (and it is) but there easier to appreciate tunes out there...

timeless is an amazing album, esp. saint angel, thats one agressive tune

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mob

i feel a broad music taste is essential i've got a masive range in my cd collection and on my pc.

try to many DJ's for broad selection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

if theyre into metal or rock play them some loud agressive drum and bass. instant converts. try some breakbeat as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

hey id say ur on the right track with daft punk and stuff like that try lemon jelly, st germain, groove armada, nightmares on wax, air, dirtchamber sessions (i know its fairly rap/indie based but has great breaks and stuff and could be a good crossover type thing), sounds like ure on the right track anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I've only just recently started listening to Underworld properly and in particular Dubnobasswithmyheadman and it's already become one of my favourite albums of all time - it's quite simply stunning! It doesn't sound in the slightest dated (great albums never do!) and the way it runs from tracks 1-9 so perfectly is hard to describe...

Isn't it great when you discover an album or artist that's been around for years but has never captured your attention before? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭wrafter

One particular act will be enough to do all you require: Four Tet, I recommend the album Rounds.

If they don't get a taste for what else is possible, they're unconvertable.

Advertisement