Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional and People-Carrier Insurance

Options
  • 09-05-2004 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

I'm 19 and am applying for a provisional liscense. The only car available to me is my parent's 2 litre people-carrier..

Does the fact that it's a people carrier affect the premium? I suppose it would.

So my question is whether I would have a chance in hell of getting insured as a named driver for a car like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

........You have a chance in hell. As I understand it by law insurence companies have to give you a quote. The real question is whether or not you have a chance in hell of affording it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If the only two drivers currently included are your two parents then you'll be very heavily loaded. If you have other relatives named before you and your parents have a long long record with the insurer it mightn't be quite so bad.

It'll still be a sizable amount.

The fact that it's a people carier will probably add a bit because of the 7 passenger liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The 2-litre engine will be crippling for a provisional too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

If you sit down and work out the cost of it all, then after a year or two you will
    probably have spent the cost of a second car on the insurance.

Its easy enough to pick up a small car in good nick for under €4000.. and you're
    insurance will be a fraction of that on the people carrier...

For the sake or it, it might be worth going and getting a small 1 litre car thats a few
    years old and getting insured on that as a named driver with one of your parents
    as the main driver..

This way, when you work out the numbers, say after 3 years, you will have your own
    car and a full licence and possibly your own policy, where as if you just get insured
    on your parents car, then you will only be able to drive it a fraction of the time and
    in the same period of time, the only thing you will more than likely have is a serious
    dent in your bank account after paying insurance on a 2 litre 7 seater.

Tox

Advertisement