Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo DS or Playstation Portable

Options
  • 09-05-2004 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

These are about to be unveiled in the next two days or so at E3 2004. Which one are you looking more foward to?

Personally, at this point, I really want to see what Nintendo has been cooking up, gimmick or not.
    I (or most likely someone else) will update with pictures and information of the two devices once they are readily available to the general public.

Which one are you looking more foward to? 62 votes

Nintendo DS
    0% 0 votes
    Playstation Portable
    70% 44 votes
    N-Gage QD
    29% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the PSP looks good but the D-pad i think will let it down.

on the other hand the idea of having two screens on the DS intrigues me on how they're gonna pull it off.

i will wait to see the pictures of the DS to make my judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

em.....i'd rather see good games on the handheld i was going to buy over pictures of the handheld itself, i'll decide when i see some game lists

but for now ill go with the ds, because nintendo are so frickin cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

yeah, sony and their marketing budget some countries are jealous of, although i dont think i'd mind it being a success as long as the quality of games is higher on average than that of the playstations, i dont think i'd like to buy another sony console just to play 5 or 6 games on, i'll just have to wait and see i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

It depends on the software support they get. It will be between Nintendo and Sony.
    Sony have the money and Nintendo and the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I'll probably buy both.I'd say the PSP will come out the winner in this battle. However there is the price difference to consider. The PSP will more than likely be far more expensive than the DS. It will be interesting to see what Miyamato-san has cooked up for the dual screen usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

The Nintendo DS has a configurable interface. Every game needs one or two standard buttons, but apart from that, there is commonly a need for a wide range of big and small buttons, sliders, dials other input controls. The DS answers these calls using a touch screen that is placed right alongside the standard buttons. By placing several small "bumps"on the screen, a user can feel where his fingers are placed on the lower screen blindly while often concentrating on the action of the upper screen.

Many innocent Marios died to deliver this data. Ask yourself what's more important: knowing plain looks or knowing the novelty factor?
    this makes more sense than duel screen dedicated to the radar or a map.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

I hope DS succeeds. I'm finally coming to admire what Nintendo are trying to do with it. And Sony are trying to kill 2-D for the mobile market now, so I probably won't like the PSP. Plus it'll be tough having to buy another PSP when your first one breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ahh the inbuilt sony self-destruct mechanism...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Anyone got any pics handy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

nintendo are crap at working with 3d party developers - the people who actually make the games you play on the devices..

Thats Sonys strong point..

So logically speaking, the PSP should have better, and indeed more, games to play on it (apart from the millions of PS1 games that will get ported to it)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

On every Nintendo console I have owned 80% of the games are Nintendo first party and the rest are second party and third party exclusives.

Third party developers mostly make liscensed tripe. Expect most of the third party games to be on both consoles and practically identical.

And please don't talk to me about the sony self destruct mechanism. My hardly used sony minidisc is on its last legs and my PS2's dvd drive is knackered. The PSP better have far better build quality or I'm going on a destructive rampage through as many Sony HQ and Sony shops as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Well, you all surely know what they look like at this stage. Any opinions now that you've seen the machines?

I still need to see more information on the two handhelds before I know which one I prefer (I have yet to see how the DS functions and whether the PSP will have a worthwhile line-up of games).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I like the look of the PSP , I like the big screen and the graphics, it is slick...but the Nintendo DS wins for me so far anyway , After watching the video demonstrating the touch screen in action I am a smitten kitten , it is so original. In a time of generic unimmaginative games this looks to be a breath of oh so fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well PSP is gonne have better games.
    i dunno, ps2 and ps always did, i`l have to go with psp if so !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

nintendo ds

nintendo make the best games in the industry

and they already have strong support in the mobile market...plus you can play any of the back catalogues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Originally posted by theciscokid
    nintendo ds

nintendo make the best games in the industry

and they already have strong support in the mobile market...plus you can play any of the back catalogues

ps2 and psone never had the better games at all. just most people seee cartoonish graphics and think its for kids. look at the n64. it had much better games than the playstation but ps still sold better becuase they had more realistic graphics. theres very few ps games that would be considered classics. FFVII to name one and thats reallly all i can think of. n64 had ocarina(voted greatest game of all time), goldeneye, mario 64, banjo kazooie,........ th4e list goes on. now gamecube has the zelda games yet again and new ones like pikmin(this rocks big time imo). ps2 has all these games like ghosthunters and bollocks like that that just come and go and people forget about them. nintendo have the legends and always will and they never fal to create each game and keep its legendary status.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by Placebo
    well PSP is gonne have better games.
    i dunno, ps2 and ps always did, i`l have to go with psp if so !!!!!!

you rekon ? I disagree.

ps2 now : Marvel vs Capcom2 , All the gulity gear series, SNK vs Cap chaos.
    Need for speed underground ? Tony hawks series, Devil may cry series, metal gear solid series ?, true crime, GTA !? Final Fantasy ? hell, ive 22 ps2 games, i cant remember ne

point is, ps2 does get most titles, only things obviously doesnt have is Mario, Zelda , Viewful Joe is now being released on ps2.

maybe all the LEGENDARY as you call it games are for nintendo systems but PS sells more for a reason, its got alot of range !

i`m not says nintendo has **** games or nething, just sayin they never always get all the titles, (like back with snes and sega ) , i have a ps2 but i hate it, i like nintendo, just reckon psp will get a **** load of titles.
    But seeing as nintendo had the gba etc they might go for that.......... ...

assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

just sayin they never always get all the titles

that must hurt them pretty bad. I'd hate to never always get all the titles.

oh shut up.
    i had the snes and n64, i had the pain of not being able to get sonic and street fighter alpha until very late of snes and not being able to play any great game out at the time of n64.

but PS sells more for a reason, its got alot of range
    You ever heard of marketing? That's what got sony it's big fanbase. And on the matter of the PSP i really don't think it will last too long simply because it won't be as profitable as the PS2, if you think about it, would you be willing to pay to buy what are pretty much the exact same games twice, the only difference being that one you can play on a smaller screen and on the go. Another thing is Developers budget, people are going to expect games to be cheaper for a handheld than the ps2, but they are also going to expect the games to be the best that the system can handle, and with specs like it has there will have to be pretty big budgets behind the games. But in saying that I'm not saying the PSP is going to be bad, I'd love to see the gem's that have been put on the PS's have new incarnations that I can annyoy people in public with, Wouldn't you just love to rap with an onion or shout repeatedly for yorda on a bus?
    Nintendo's big advantage in the handheld market is the past, people are going to be willing to buy the DS because they can for one play their old GBA games on it, and because they trust nintendo when it comes to handhelds.

With all that said, I'd turn away the chance to buy either if i got an offer of a second hand saturn or something.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy

With all that said, I'd turn away the chance to buy either if i got an offer of a second hand saturn or something.....
    You'd certainly be better off with a Saturn. It's heartache trying to get games for it though. You have to get them from abroad and the Japanese exclusives don't go down in price like games should. And that's after modifying it. And you need to like shoot 'em ups and have someone to play 2D fighting games with. It's a lot of work.

You ever heard of marketing?

i had enough.
    elaborate on this marketing and compare it to Nintendos marketing, i really wanna read your ideas on How sony market their product very diffrently to nintendo, i really do.

i had enough.
    elaborate on this marketing and compare it to Nintendos marketing, i really wanna read your ideas on How sony market their product very diffrently to nintendo, i really do.
    Had enough of what? I'm not trying to start an argument. The proof is in the ad's you see around the place by the 2 companies, did you ever see nintendo advertise their consoles with people with duck's heads or lephachauns? no, they aim straight at gamers, they dont try to just look cool and "out there". Another thing being that Sony put a whole lot more effort into their marketing, not only do you see the ads more on tv and magazines and whatever, but they sponsor events and whatnot, putting the name playstation everywhere. Nintendo don't do this, and i can assure you that if they did the gamecube and the n64 would have been more successful over this side of the atlantic. Yes, Sony have some great games on their consoles, but if they kept quiet about the mainstream games(gran turismo for example) there would not be as many sony consoles in households. And another thing is who the products are aimed at, are nintendo consoled aimed at average joe's who just want to play the odd burst of fifa and watch movies?

I'm also not saying that the marketing thing as a bad thing, I would love to see nintendo shout a whole lot more about how great they are(or at least convince people that they are).

Remember, what i'm saying isn't gospel, so don't go ape**** if you don't agree.

ok fair enough, but you cant disagree with the fact sony have a ****loads of titles as opposed to nintendo and the x box !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Quantity over quality. And handy enough for sony, you don't realise that untill after you buy them.

Got a Gamecube and PS2 in the house. The PS2 is kept about for ISS and because the DVD player is borked atm.. there literally isn't a single other game it's used for. The GameCube is used all the time (MKDD, Metroid, Zelda, Resident Evil, Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero, so on...)

Back on topic... if I get either, it will be the DS. On top of how amazing it looks, compatibility with over ten years worth of GB games is pretty cool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i don't think the DS supports original gameboy/colour games, only advance games. but i may be wrong.

• Advertisement

Yeah, during the presentation he only mentioned the fact that it could take game boy advance cartridges, he didn't say whether or not it could take the old ones. If it does though it is another selling point for the console.

Advertisement