Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my Graphics Card **** ed?

Options
  • 09-05-2004 11:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

i have being getting weird noises when pages are loaded on the net & the odd time the screen(CRT) suddenly flashes when nothing is loading and when i scroll down the page the noise is there is it the graphics card? Modem? Monitor?

please help the noise is pissing me off!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Sounds like the Hard-drive.

Could be that your PC is infected with something, either a Virus, adware or spyware. This could be causing strain on the CPU and the HDD, hence the noise anytime you do anything.

Or, your hard-drive could be failing.

Best bet is to run Grisoft AVG, Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot seek and destroy. Also, try and pinpoint the source of the noise.

Could just be a slow PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Bu11et_Proof

I get the same when my pc is doing any working i only have my harddrive about 2 months i would get SIGuardian let in run for a week or 2 and it will tell you if its gonna die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Probably not relevant, but did you defrag your hard drive recently? If not, do so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

yeah i defrag every 1,2 weeks and have spybot search & Destroy & norton antivirus 2004 all updates installed and have it installed before i went online on my new pc its a dell 8300 2.4ghz 512mb of ram 80gb hd geforce 5200 graphics card(i know its **** but it came with it and am changing it soon) could it be that i over defrag? and the hd is being strained?

if my harddrive has had its last can you suggest good quality ones and wher to buy them in euros preferably & also which is the best way to move files from old to new and how

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Tbh, I don't see how your HD could make the screen flash or make noise when web pages are loading, or when you're scrolling with the mouse. Does the HD light flash when you hear this noise?
    I would suspect the monitor or gfx card. Move the monitor away from the PC and listen to see which it comes from. If it's the case, take off the side and listen again, or put your hand on the HD to feel for vibration when you hear the sound.

Thanks will do probably either of them the monitor,Graphics card are crap

Advertisement