Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone upgrade query

Options
  • 10-05-2004 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Vodafone are really annoying me ATM,

I'm due and upgrade, if i accept it am i locked into another 12 month contract with them?

I was thinking of upgrading and then switching over to o2 and availing of their change over offers!!!!!

will i get stung?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by llatsni
    Vodafone are really annoying me ATM,

I'm due and upgrade, if i accept it am i locked into another 12 month contract with them?

I was thinking of upgrading and then switching over to o2 and availing of their change over offers!!!!!

will i get stung?

Cheers

Not if your current contract is up.

You have to have spent in the region of €1200 before they will give you an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by irish1
    You have to have spent in the region of €1200 before they will give you an upgrade

Not true for Vodafone...

I don't see why you would consider switching just because you'd be locked into a contract. When you switch to O2, they'll lock you into a 12 month contract, and you'll have to resign the contract with them if you upgrade....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

you can swap over but you will be charged for the monthly rental for 12 months..

you can just cancel the contract and go to o2 .. they give you a new phone ... like the upgrade phone ... as a new connection.

but again it will be their 12 month contract you will be locked into ... the only way around the 12 month contract is if you die.

or someone buys the phone off you... you do a transfer of ownership and the other person carries on the contract.

Originally posted by seamus
    Not true...
    Sorry??

He asked
    will i get stung?

I replied not if his contract is up which is true, however if he has 6 months left to run he will have to pay the rental for those months before he moves to 02.

Quite simple really:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

i'm not making myself clear

- I've completed my 1st 12 months with vodafone, i'm free
    - i'm due an upgrade with vodafone
    - i want to get my upgrade
    - then i want to change over to o2 and get nice deal with them (xda II me thinks)

will vodafone shaft me if i upgrade and then leave.

• Advertisement

i'm not making myself clear

- I've completed my 1st 12 months with vodafone, i'm free
    - i'm due an upgrade with vodafone
    - i want to get my upgrade
    - then i want to change over to o2 and get nice deal with them (xda II me thinks)

will vodafone shaft me if i upgrade and then leave.

As I said, you will have to pay the remaining months rental, so you will have to pay the 12 months rental before you can leave, just leave now and get a deal with a new connection with O2:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

As I said, you will have to pay the remaining months rental, so you will have to pay the 12 months rental before you can leave, just leave now and get a deal with a new connection with O2:D

IE. When you get your upgrade you have to sign up for another year.

My 1st year is ending soon aswell. I thought that I was eligable for an upgrade every year but some punk at their help desk said that I wouldn't be eligable for a while. €1200?? I spend about €55 in total a month, so in other words I'm gonna have to wait 1 and 3/4 years for an upgrade?? What a load of bollox.

I don't want to change networks, so I was thinking, what if I asked to be changed to prepaid and then "just changed my mind" and decided to change back. Would I be eligable for first time connection?

Originally posted by Linoge
    I don't want to change networks, so I was thinking, what if I asked to be changed to prepaid and then "just changed my mind" and decided to change back. Would I be eligable for first time connection?

Not with the same address and number no.

I have managed to get upgrades for a few mates by ringing up and asking for a supervisor and when they say no, I say thats grand change the rental to the lowest level and I'l move to O2 with the same number 087 prefrxx and all they normally come around once you've spend in the region of 900-1000

thanks all, its sucks that i would be locked into another 12 month contract - DOH!!!

irish1:
    i did that once, changed from pay monthy to prepaid and back, they didnt like it one bit... no upgrade just hassle

sorry i meant, Linoge, not Irish1

• Advertisement

Sorry??
    I was actually replying to the part about having to spend €1200 before getting an upgrade. I edited it just after you hit reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

thanks all, its sucks that i would be locked into another 12 month contract - DOH!!!

I gotta ask, what world are you living in?? Do you actually realise why you get a phone worth 500 odd euro for 100 euro when you connect or get an upgrade?

The same thing happens on every network.

When you connect and purchase a new handset, you are locked into a 12 month contract. The reason the phone is so cheap is that it is subsidised by the operator. They tie you into a 12 month contract to ensure they recover the subsidy. The exact same applies to an upgrade. O2 will do the same, so will Meteor.

Even Sky do it when you connect to Digital and get a free Digibox!!

jesus_thats_gre:

If you buy a new SIM free (unlocked) phone you pay at least double what the retailer paid. The retailer pays around double what the wholesaler paid. The wholesalers usually buy direct and the manufacturer is making a decent margin also. Lets say the wholesaler pays 1.5 times the manufacturers cost price.

If you work that out lets say for this phone in the UK:
    Nokia 6230

consumer: ST£257.83 ex. VAT
    retailer: 128.92
    wholesaler: 64.46
    manufacturer: 42.97
    and that includes labour costs. Actual component cost is probably a small small fraction of the 42.97

The consumer cost with an o2 connection is ST$67.95
    The networks are cashing in on the wholesale price, so they are doing you NO favours and are most of the time giving very little if any subsidy.

jesus_thats_gre:

If you buy a new SIM free (unlocked) phone you pay at least double what the retailer paid. The retailer pays around double what the wholesaler paid. The wholesalers usually buy direct and the manufacturer is making a decent margin also. Lets say the wholesaler pays 1.5 times the manufacturers cost price.
    I'm sorry, but where are you getting that from? Everyone's putting 50% markup on phones? Yeah right.
    If you work that out lets say for this phone in the UK:
    Nokia 6230

consumer: ST£257.83 ex. VAT
    retailer: 128.92
    wholesaler: 64.46
    manufacturer: 42.97
    and that includes labour costs. Actual component cost is probably a small small fraction of the 42.97

The consumer cost with an o2 connection is ST$67.95
    The networks are cashing in on the wholesale price, so they are doing you NO favours and are most of the time giving very little if any subsidy.
    The networks are the retailers. Even with your figures, they're selling at half price.

I'm sorry, but where are you getting that from? Everyone's putting 50% markup on phones? Yeah right.

Double would be 100% markup, and even that would be a conservative estimate.
    The networks are the retailers. Even with your figures, they're selling at half price.

They are not the retailers. As i said they are getting their phones (without a doubt) at the keenest wholesale price. By retailer I mean the small independant retailers as in Expansys, who i linked to and used their prices as examples.

I was actually replying to the part about having to spend €1200 before getting an upgrade. I edited it just after you hit reply :)

I said in the region of €1200 and that is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

hi

My contract recently completed with Vodafone, I rang up enquiring about an upgrade - the person on the line poitely told me that upgrades are now dependent on how much you spend (not sure whether that is per month or in-total for the duration of the contract).

i suspect the only way vodafone might give free upgrades now is when 3G is rolled out (i could be wrong though).

---laoisfan

Double would be 100% markup, and even that would be a conservative estimate.
    Of course. Where are you getting that figure?

I said in the region of €1200 and that is correct.
    I know I've spent about half that and I'm eligible for an upgrade....

The 100% markup figure is the average for medium to large scale purchasing (i.e. bulk discounts mean bigger margin). I'm in the small scale IT business and personally I feel that its a criminal figure (i charge WAY WAY less - no bulk discounts for me), but that really is the way it is. I know IT resellers who charge excess of 20% over the RETAIL price (available to anyone with a brain and internet access) to business customers, sometimes not even end user business customers.

Advertisement