Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hurling championship pool?

• 10-05-2004 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭

I know that there is the pool for the football championship, but would anybody be interested in a similar pool for the hurling championship?

I know that the championship has started already, but for the remaining matches?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'd be interested.
    Might need a more detailed scoring rules though as there aren't as many games as the football. Have you time to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Yeah i could put something together! I may have a championship prediction from the start thing like yours, and also as there are fewer matches post predictions for each round of the qailifier for bonus points!

Anyone have any other ideas?

The problem with posting every round means the person has to be here for every round. It will work with the regulars but mightn't for those who don't check boards regularly. In saying that most that are in the football pools are regulars.

Maybe you could have bonus points for every game based on the score difference. A user predicts that Roscommon V Galway: Roscommon by 10 points being a very bad example. Then if the result is within say 2 points of that then 1 bonus point. Also get one point for correct team winning. Just an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I'd be game too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

me also .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

In the Waterford v Clare game, say you pick Clare to win by 2 points, and the result is a one point victory for Waterford.

You do not get a point for the result, but do you get a bonus point for being within 3 points of the correct scoreline? Or do you need to get the result right first to be in with a chance of getting a bonus point?

Secondly re draws and replays. Lets say Clare and Waterford draw, but Clare win the replay by 7 points. Is the margin of victory based on the first game (i.e 0 point margin) or the second/final game? (Personally I would go with the 0 point margin, as the people who called it right the first time would be rewarded, but I'm not in charge!)

It is a bonus point system so you have to get the result correct first. It is to make it more interesting and also as there are less games than the football less likely that there will be a dead heat at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

I would be on for this also

How exactly does the qualifier system work in hurling?

There's a prelim round first involving Kerry, the Ulster losing finalist and some of the weaker counties in Leinster, Westmeath, Meath etc. One team comes out of that to qualify for Qualifer 1.

The other 7 teams in Qualifier 1 are
    Galway, the 3 Munster teams that didnt make the Munster final and the 3 Leinster teams that didnt make the Leinster final.

If Galway lose in Q1, then Q2 is Galway v one of the other 3 winners from Q1. If Galway win in Q1, then there is no Q2.

The 4 teams that emerge from Q1/Q2 play in Q3 along with the runners up from Munster and Leinster. This results in 3 teams coming from the qualifiers - i.e. the three teams that we have to pick for this competition.

Those 3 teams play in the QFs along with the Ulster champions. The two winning teams from the QFs playing the Leinster/Munster winners in the semi finals.

Well at least thats how it worked last year, and I dont think its changed.

• Advertisement

Kerry are still in the championship, so I am not exactly sure about the the preliminay round. But the rest of what Rooster said is correct to the best of my knowledge.

I should have said the losers of the following games go into the prelim section:

Kerry v Cork
    Laois v Meath
    Dublin v Westmeath/Kildare

Advertisement