Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No phone line in my home... any broadband options?

• 10-05-2004 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Hello...

I'm in Dublin City Centre (Merrion Square area) and I don't have a phone line, but I want broadband.

Do I have any options beside getting Eircom to install a phone line (as in, is there a phone line + broadband package offer??) or any way to get wireless in a reasonably non-painful way? (I'm not sure if anyone would be able to get onto my roof to put up an arial.)

Anyone been in this situation before??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You could get business dsl from esat which gives you the option to not pay line rental to eircom (not sure which party would have to pay for the phone line install), but then you can't make phone calls on the line, or you could go with Leap, i'm sure no rooftop is insurmountable for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Is interent through the electricity points available in Ireland yet?

I'm in a similar situation to you (but i'm in austria) and i'm seriously looking at getting internet this way. There's no need for a phoneline and installation is seriously cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Thanks.

What baout cable modem options? I've been looking at the NTL webpage but I can't quite figure out if it requires a phoneline or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

If you can get on the roof and stick an aerial there, then dublin WAN could be an option for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

NTL cable does not require a phoneline, but they have a VERY limited service area. Mostly around tallaght, so I hear. Might be worth giving them a ring. If your area has it, get it, its the best value broadband on offer in Ireland, besides what they have in Dunagarvan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by Imposter
    Is interent through the electricity points available in Ireland yet?

Not yet. The ESB have run successful tests, but as far as I know have nothing to offer as yet. Would be great to see them do it, and give Eircom a good kicking about, but sadly they'll more than likely co-operate with them, and set up a price fixing scam between them.

Originally posted by hostyle
    Not yet. The ESB have run successful tests, but as far as I know have nothing to offer as yet. Would be great to see them do it, and give Eircom a good kicking about, but sadly they'll more than likely co-operate with them, and set up a price fixing scam between them.

Successful in that it works, but at the detriment to other services like MMDS television services/amateur radio etc etc. They should NEVER get a licence to roll out broadband over electricity lines until they can sort out the interference issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Originally posted by Stephen
    NTL cable does not require a phoneline, but they have a VERY limited service area. Mostly around tallaght, so I hear. Might be worth giving them a ring. If your area has it, get it, its the best value broadband on offer in Ireland, besides what they have in Dunagarvan.

Just rang them. Not available in my area unfortunately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

Irish Broadband may be an option for you. ( www.irishbroadband.ie )

Then again their customer service is pretty poor as you will see from these forums. They haven't gotten around to my installation 2 months after I applied.

Maybe it would be better for you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Wireless or sattelite..

• Advertisement

Originally posted by blobert
    Irish Broadband may be an option for you. ( www.irishbroadband.ie )
    They haven't gotten around to my installation 2 months after I applied.

TWO MONTHS?!?!? Wow. And I thought digiweb were bad making me wait three weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

according to broadband.gov.ie irishbroadband is available in Maynooth. According to their website it's not. So I hit the contact us button to ask them

Don't know if I'd trust an internet company which uses email to send a form from a website!! If that's the limit of their expertise...

Steve

Advertisement