Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raptor's eh?

Options
  • 10-05-2004 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

been getting interested recently by all this raid talk going on, the system i have is as in sig and i fancy on tipping up a few bits on in during the summer to keep me ticking over if i can get a bit of money together, dvd burner or external hdd, new monitor and another half gig of ram.

anywho what i was just thinking about was those fancy raptor drives out. are they worth it, i'm familar with the general specs and extra cost per gig but is there much noticeable performance over a 7200rpm drive.

would i be better off for example with with one raptor and my current drive not raided.

or getting another one of my current drives and raiding them both.

or going the whole hog and getting 2 raptors (selling a kidney) and raiding and then perhaps just using the seagate as a back up or setting it up for external storage.

opinions please

data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

They're low-end SCSI disk mechanisms with SATA front-end electronics.

The 74Gig models go like the bejaysus.

And have a 5 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I thought the raptor interface was a converted from PATA.

They are very quick. I have a 36.6Gb one and im going to get another. Data, get the 74Gb version because they are quetier or 2 x 36.6Gb. Ihavent much storage space left one my one 36Gb, which is a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    been getting interested recently by all this raid talk going on, the system i have is as in sig and i fancy on tipping up a few bits on in during the summer to keep me ticking over if i can get a bit of money together, dvd burner or external hdd, new monitor and another half gig of ram.

anywho what i was just thinking about was those fancy raptor drives out. are they worth it, i'm familar with the general specs and extra cost per gig but is there much noticeable performance over a 7200rpm drive.

would i be better off for example with with one raptor and my current drive not raided.

or getting another one of my current drives and raiding them both.

or going the whole hog and getting 2 raptors (selling a kidney) and raiding and then perhaps just using the seagate as a back up or setting it up for external storage.

opinions please

data

I my-self would wait a while and see how they work in the long run. I'd get some cheep secondhand SCSI stuffs and that would sort you out. I'm getting the SCSI 160 Drive and Controler off the for sale board. At the moment I only have a ultra SCSI drive and controler. They make the system fast enough with a great seaktime. But the 160 will be mad, and half the seaktime as the one I have in the system at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Would be thinkin along the lines of raptors myself, i will be doing very little upgrading over the summer due mainly to the big change in tech. Top of my list if i do upgrade a little is prob raptors......... very interested in what people think and how they perform .

Noise isint as much of an issue, they'll be accompanyin 2 WD's which are going to be much louder. Any links handy of a good review?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Cheers SyxPak , thats one of the best sites ive seen for harddrive reviews......... alot of reading to be done ;)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Well I have a raptor and they seem good but honesty I can't say much. My upgrade over my old computer with possibly 5200rpm hard drive and poor 512ram and amd xp 2000 was done with the upgrade to my current machine. Obviously the system runs alot faster but I can't say how much of the speed belongs to the raptor. Perhaps when I upgrade again next month I will preform some tests to determine its potential on raid 0 against 7200rpm drives on raid 0. Windows Xp installs in under 7 mins while another person I know on a raid set up got it done in 5 on dual 7200rpm hard drives. Interesting to note boot time is longer than average on my machine and I have tweaked it several ways to speed up but to no avail. Found when I installed window xp 64 it booted up much faster. Must be a feature of AMD 64 cpu's. Takes near a minute to boot up in 32bit but round 35 secs with 64 bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

The raptors are excellent. I've 2 x 36 GB Raid 0 as system drive and they go like the clappers. Got them from Komplett for €120 each a while ago. Very quite too. If you do a lot of ripping etc. their well worth it. The 74 GB ones are even better but pricey. Highly recomend them. XP pro only gets to half of the first bar before it boots.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

would i have any difficulties booting from a raid array if the controller was a pci one, rather than onboard?

tempted to get a couple of raptors & a sata card for meh burfdeh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by ding
    XP pro only gets to half of the first bar before it boots.:D

jesus i think mine goes through about 10 bars.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I thought I was seeing things first time it booted! Their worth the money for that alone. Must get some Hd Tach readings for you to drool over.;) Still not sure if they are fully optimised either. There's a few options when setting them up regarding cluster size and I just picked default. Think it requires a reformat to change them so I haven't messed with them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I picked up a 74GB Raptor a few months back and its pretty nice :D

Word of warning tho, they make a fair bit of noise in a clicky accessing files way. Only have one at the moment but Im planning on getting another to raid 0 them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I think its the RAID that does the half bar boot thing. I remembered happened to me as well. Since then and a lot of junk afterwards its about 1-2 bar. It takes about 5-8 seconds to load to windows from the moment the boot up screen appears.

****ing hell!
    you're all mad in the head!
    i'd assumed that a 74gb raptor would cost about €100-€150...
    think i'll just get myself a 200gb seagate drive & another 512mb ram instead tbh

Word of warning tho, they make a fair bit of noise in a clicky accessing files way.

Interesting. The 2 X 37GB Raptors don't make much noise at all. They are quiter than the 80 GB Maxtor I have for data storage. Think two 37 Gb in raid are better value performance wise for your money than one 74 GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by tman
    you're all mad in the head!

This is pretty much the OverClockers / Modders forum. That everyone in here is "mad in the head" is a given :)

Originally posted by ding
    Think two 37 Gb in raid are better value performance wise for your money than one 74 GB.

yeah i'd be interesting in knowing that for sure as i don't think my wallet will ever stretch to two 74 jobbies.

Data. I'll bench my RAID 0 setup with Hd tach if someone else can do the same with a single 74 GB raptor. Post results tomorrow. Have to bear in mind that as I said earlier it may not be at its optimal level.

ta very much thats appreciated ding.

perhaps venom if you would be so kind as well? :)

Right. Here's my results from HD Tach. Any one else got some I'd like to see them as I reckon theres room for improvement.

• Advertisement

cheers for that ding

here mine on the seagate

benchmark.JPG

i don't know whats up with that large dip on it at 22gb but its consistent when repeated as are the other values such as the cpu utilization. anyone any ideas?

data

Noticed that dip as well. Mines in around the same place. What do you reckon to the raid figures? I'm happy with the investment anyway. Must update the raid drivers, reformat blah blah etc and give it another go. Not that bored to do it just yet though.:D

nice access time anyway i presume that comes from the 10k rpm drive?

plus the fact that you have double the read speed of my single drive thats kinda sweet.

i wonder though if its worth the investment. perhaps another 160gb seagate and just raid the two of them i would probably get 70mbps?

From my scant readings on the raptors a while back the 74Gig has a more "optimised" firmware and/or head mechanism, ie it's access patterns are more aggressive, so it jerks about a bit more, makes more noise but it does have a bit of an improved set of cross-draw/half-draw/seek latencies or something.

Still, if I have the cash when I'm buidling my new machine I'll be putting two 36Gig raptors in RAID0 for system, games and proggies, maybe synching up to an 80Gig 7200rpm drive every night aswell...

For mass storage, maybe a 4-disk raid0+1 or raid5 (if I can pick up a raid5 card for cheap).

Why can't more consumer boards have PCIX slots?

due the synching to the 80gig drive allow back in case anything goes wrong is it?

is this one of the other forms of raid, like mirror or something?

No, more like a Norton Ghost backup, but only updates the files that were changed.
    And it's only done once every night, it's not continuous.
    Dunno if it would really be needed though, aside from save games etc. anything on the raptors culd be lost and I wouldn't really be too put out.
    Though it would be nice to RMA the disk (whilst working off the 80gig) and then rebuild the array and plonk the image back on as though nothing happened :)

practically as well i only have to onboard s-ata type things so i would either need a card or some type of s-ata to ide convertor for my current drive.

also how would i go about backing up the stuff on my current s-ata drive which has windows. for example i presume i'd want to be putting windows on the raptors. would i be able to boot from them then still access the other windows setup and transfer my documents temporarily onto the raptors. then format the large hdd and put the files back in case anything happend to the array?

Yes.

if i installed xp & the relevant sata drivers, made an image with ghost & then wrote that image to a sata drive. would it work?

(using sata drivers during xp setup sounds like a pain in the ass)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    ta very much thats appreciated ding.

perhaps venom if you would be so kind as well? :)

Sure I'll give it a spin when i get home. Im not in a raid setup yet tho so I think my results will suck donkey balls :(

I also noticed the price of the 74gb raptor has jumped up a good bit. Totaly cost from komplett for the first one was €250 and this included shipping and all other charges. Now its €250 just for the drive :(

Advertisement