Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raptor's eh?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by ding
    Data. I'll bench my RAID 0 setup with Hd tach if someone else can do the same with a single 74 GB raptor. Post results tomorrow. Have to bear in mind that as I said earlier it may not be at its optimal level.

Dont think anyone else posted the 74GB Raptor result, Ill do so later. Im using HDTach 3 Beta.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ok heres mine, 2x160gb SATA Samsungs 8mb Raid0 . Im not that impressed but eh there quiet. Suppose it could be worse :).

Cluster size @ 16k, Strip size @ 16k, new drivers & BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The Sequential speed looks erratic, have ya defragged the drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

access time seems a bit on the high side as well i would think?

The Sequential speed looks erratic, have ya defragged the drives?

New install, a couple of days ago!!
    access time seems a bit on the high side as well i would think?

Yea a little dissapointing, am not an expert on hard drives or Raid setups but that doesent look nice :rolleyes: . Compared to the results they got with 2xsamsungs Raid0........ Here , mine dont look so bad (cept for access times). Think they had crappy settings for that benchmark (different size cluster & strip, older drivers etc etc).

Im not sure what i can really do TBH, is it the drives fault or the controller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

perhaps there is someone else on boards with a samsung that could bench to eliminate the card perhaps?

Here is my almost full Raptor 74GB (single) vs another drive in my system, a Maxtor 80GB ATA133 8MB cache.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Here's my RAID0 on Promise Controller.

Hey neo, you should be scoring more than that....... try it again and it should change. Did you set the cluster size when formatting the harddisks? This had a big impact on my performance.......

The Raptor looks good, but thats not much of a supprise is it :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Changed my NTFS cluster to 16k as it defaults to 4k on os install. Defragged and heres the results. I was a bit disapointed with max and average but the minimum is a lot better. CPU utilisation seems a bit high? But its not that bad.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

How do you change cluster size when formatting with standard Windows installer?
    Or what program do you use?
    I can't say i remember PM8 having any settings.

Originally posted by ding
    Changed my NTFS cluster to 16k as it defaults to 4k on os install. Defragged and heres the results. I was a bit disapointed with max and average but the minimum is a lot better. CPU utilisation seems a bit high? But its not that bad.:cool:

Youre disappointed with 86MB/s average transfer speed!? :D

Also, I second SyxPaks question.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Best way is to use PM8. Select the drive and when you right click there is an option 'cluster' or something like that. Select cluster size and away you go. Not for the faint hearted though. Make sure you have backup etc. It took around 1 hour for the resize 74 GB . There's a good guide here posted on the other raid performance thread.
    Youre disappointed with 86MB/s average transfer speed!?

Well there's always room for improvement. I've heard of guys getting 100MB/s with simular setups.

You can also set the cluster size by booting from an IDE drive (or other SATA drive thats not going to be raided) going to control pannel, admin tools, computer management, logical drives, right click on the Raid drive and pick format.......... you will be asked to set the cluster size (default strip size is 16k, so setting 16k cluster size is advised also ;)).

Bit of a pain but was a big help performance wise to me!!

Advertisement