Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE problems, virus

Options
  • 10-05-2004 5:02pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive having trouble with a file in my IE folder (im on XP btw).

its called Q330994.exe, and i keep getting warnings from my virus scan about it, but i cant delete it, possibly because its running with IE.

Firstly, is this a normal IE file that has corrupted, or is it an alien file that I can delete without damaging anything?
    Secondly, is there a way to totally turn off IE, or any exe file so that I can delete it without being told its being used??
    a .cat file also exists with the same name, but that isnt showing up on my virus scan... the file seems to cause problems with IE, such as not allowing downloads to finalize and shutting down pages every now and again, much to my annoyance.

Thanks for your help

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a cumulative update patch for Outlook Express, you probably downloaded it last time you went to windows update.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp

Delete it if it's causing hassle - What does it say when you try to delete it.?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

If you can't delete it, can you rename it and then delete it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

says that I cannot delete it and to check if it is not write-protected or currently in use...
    If its for outlook, i cant see how it could be in use, as I never use outlook, however, if there is a way to disable it or something, then I should be able to delete it

Thanks,

Flogen

Even if you're not running Outlook Express, Windows update will offer to download patches for it, if you have it installed.

Try running it or something....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by seamus
    Try running it or something....

He keeps getting warning from his virus-scanner about a certain file, and you tell him to try running it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Purely to eliminate the silly solution, have you rebooted at any time since you first tried to delete it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

yes, I have re-booted, and the same problem occours... although it doesnt seem to be interfering with downloads anymore...

It still shows up on my virus scan

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

What does the virus scanner say about it?
    Try killing explorer.exe (and any instances of iexplore.exe) through the task manager (ctrl-alt-del), then running cmd.exe and deleting it through the command line.

Originally posted by hostyle
    He keeps getting warning from his virus-scanner about a certain file, and you tell him to try running it?
    Purely for curiosity's sake. But then, I'd trust myself to do it

• Advertisement
Advertisement