Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Service pack 1

Options
  • 10-05-2004 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

i have a pc at home but it has no internet connection, so is there anywhere i can get XP sp1/a as a full download that i can bring home and install without the net?

ps is there any point in me installing it if i dont have the web? i just thought i'd install it for the sake of having a fuly up to date OS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I got a free cd from the microsoft web-site that had SP1 on it and a lot of the updates. Can't remember the exact link, have a look, if you can't find I might just be nice and post ya a copy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I had a problem with downloading Internet Explorer 6 a few months ago so I rang Microsoft and they sent it out to me on a CD. Give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

is that totally free or do they charge you delivery and keep your details and get your serial number and then keep a record of u and get ur details to determine whether or not u have a properly registered copy of XP pro etc?
    sounds a bit dodgy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by The_B_Man
    is that totally free or do they charge you delivery and keep your details and get your serial number and then keep a record of u and get ur details to determine whether or not u have a properly registered copy of XP pro etc?
    sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Completely free and only details needed are name and address, no serials

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you have a net connection at work (or similar;)) you can use then go to SP1a to get the 134mb Service Pack 1a then to keep yourself completely up to date go to AutoPatcher and download their latest update file and get someone to burn them both onto a CD-R for you. You might also try the 'Community > Public > File Exchange' forum, and ask there. usually someone with Broadband and a CD burner will do it for you for the cost of a blank CD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

whats the deal with the network install? is it any different to the regular one?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

i'll pop it on to cd if you want. otherwise, http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp * -> took them about two - three weeks to deliver. (no serials/etc needed - just a (pseudo)name & delivery address)

"express install" -> you download an exe (a few 00ks, and install the rest over the internet-not pretty when installing over modem)
    "network install" -> SP in one large file

* in sticky: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47979

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

SP2 for XP is due out soon I _think_, if you want to wait a bit longer. It could be just a rumour though ...

not for another few months..

threadjack: anyone else have problems arise after installing SP2 Beta ? my laptop crawled..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Same problems here with SP2 Beta on laptop- running like an MMX200 !!

Strangely enough, SP2 Beta on PC working fine

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Andip
    Same problems here with SP2 Beta on laptop- running like an MMX200 !!

Strangely enough, SP2 Beta on PC working fine

ditto. it works on the pc at home without any problems... laptop...died...

Advertisement