Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justin Barrett on Today FM now...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭PaulHughesWH

Originally posted by mike65
    Worth a listen if only to remind us why we should'nt vote for him.

Mike.

I love the Red grasp of freedom of speech, i.e. you have the right to freedom of speech only if you think a certain way.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by PaulHughesWH
    I love the Red grasp of freedom of speech, i.e. you have the right to freedom of speech only if you think a certain way.
    Is this typical of the reasoning ability of Justin Barrett supporters? Since when does freedom of speech mean the right not to be disagreed with? Who here has suggested that Justin Barrett should not be allowed to speak his mind?

I vehemently disagree with pretty much everything Justin Barrett has to say, but I will vigorously defend his right to say it - just as I will vigorously defend everyone else's right to lambaste his views.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Okay,

I see that this little impersonation game is still persisting. I do not want to waste my time posting on this site, but If this impersonation and behind-backs baiting continues, I will be forced take legal measures.

My beliefs are my own, and not to be shared with the likes of you, who would take pleasure in walking them into the ground.

If you are worried about your name being used I would suggest contacting the admins of this site and see what they can do. They have allowed this other user setup the account PaulHughes in good faith, if he is using this account to discredit you and misrepresent your views have no fear all his/her details are logged here.

As for this discussion board if you spent some time on it you would realise that this forum is used by people from a wide spectrum of political viewpoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It does not matter which Paul Hughes is the 'Right One' . The Obersturmbannfuhrer has told them all to stay away .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭pdh

This Justin Barrett guy seems to get up the nose of a lot of trendy PC folk in the media and on this board.
    Don't know much details about his policies, however would say I am in agreement with approx 60% of what he stands for and so will give him the No.1

Maybe he might get close to 10% of the poll, how do others feel on this ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Ryvita

Originally posted by pdh
    This Justin Barrett guy seems to get up the nose of a lot of trendy PC folk in the media and on this board.
    Don't know much details about his policies, however would say I am in agreement with approx 60% of what he stands for and so will give him the No.1

Maybe he might get close to 10% of the poll, how do others feel on this ?

Most people would kind of view him as a racist and a bigot. More people would see him as a bit of a joke really. And I guess some people agree with what he says. I guess the election will tell us. That's the great thing about democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭pdh

Why do people always start using derogatory terms when they want to oppose people who raise issues like illegal immigration. Maybe they want to frighten ordinary people away from the debate until the issue is out of control and then we as a society will have to face real racism and ghettos just like the UK

Oh by the way, the racism that is out there is not that mush of a problem, and it does not all originate from the native Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Why do people always start using derogatory terms when they want to oppose people who raise issues like illegal immigration.

See, thats the thing. People generally don't (I find) if the otherside are starting on a reasonable footing. Unfortunately, Barrett and his gang don't seem to like debating with the people who oppose his views.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Obscure

Its pretty sad when anyone who mentions immigration (without condemning it) is suddenly branded as "racist". Every country has some level of immigration control, does that make every country "racist". As far as i could tell from the interview all Justin Barrett said was that there should be some level of control. He didnt say there should be complete ban on people coming into Ireland. This was a perfectly reasonable belief and the proof that is that it the standard is almost every country.

Matt Cooper is a really **** interviewer. He spent the entire time trying to make sly remarks about Barrett and then giggling to himself like a ****ing ejjet.

It was brought up that Barrett is against abortion. This is a perfectly correct opinion if you feel that it is the murder of babies. Instead Matt Copper started incinuting (as far as i remember) that Barrett was a fascist or something because Barrett tried to put pressure on politicians to be against abortion. Putting pressure on politions doesnt make you a fascist!

In the end instead of Matt Cooper havent an intelligent conversation and making argurments against Barretts beliefs, Cooper acted like a child and kept on talking over him and making unsupported accusations.

Barrett said nothing during the interview that i could be 100% against (apart from maybe the abortion issue).

Barrett did make a good point saying that it was an Irish religious order who suggested that Irish immigration should be capped in American because it was harming Ireland. Maybe the same is happening to the immigrant countries and Ireland would be doing them a favour (as it turned out America did for us) by us capping the number of people coming in.

Originally posted by Obscure
    As far as i could tell from the interview all Justin Barrett said was that there should be some level of control.
    This implies that there is currently no control over immigration in this country. If you believe this to be the case, you really ought to educate yourself on the issues before voting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Coming from the guy who's threatening "legal measures" if we don't stop talking about him, that's pretty funny.

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    This implies that there is currently no control over immigration in this country.

As far as i remember from the interview he said that Ireland should have imposed the same restrictions on new EU members that EVERY OTHER EU country did. This does not sounded wildly racist to me! Does it sound strange to you?

If you believe this to be the case, you really ought to educate yourself on the issues before voting.

Since you sound so educated yourself, maybe you could try forming an argument rather than trying unsuccessfully to insult people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As far as i remember from the interview he said that Ireland should have imposed the same restrictions on new EU members that EVERY OTHER EU country did. This does not sounded wildly racist to me! Does it sound strange to you?
    Sounds wildly incorrect to me. Ireland is not the only EU member that hasn't imposed restrictions on free movement of workers from the new EU states.

Ignoring the fact that this reply avoids the point I made: when did he become such a fan of the EU? Does he believe we should be like EVERY OTHER EU country in EVERY OTHER way?

Originally posted by sceptre
    Sounds wildly incorrect to me. Ireland is not the only EU member that hasn't imposed restrictions on free movement of workers from the new EU states.

AND if that is the case then Matt Cooper should have picked Barrett up on it instead of trying to giggling at him!

AND if that is the case then Matt Cooper should have picked Barrett up on it instead of trying to giggling at him!
    Are you trying to move the blame for Barrett making stuff up on to the interviewer? That seems rather silly.

It is the case. Drop the "If". Look it up and get back to me.

Originally posted by sceptre
    Are you trying to move the blame for Barrett making stuff up on to the interviewer? That seems rather silly.

No, you said you believe other counties waived their right to impose restrictions. Barrett said they did not. Matt Cooper should have knew if Barrett was telling the truth, and then pointed it out. Thats what makes an interview and an interviewer.

To set the record straight, what other EU counties waived the right to impose restrictions on the immigration of workers from new EU counties?

Since you sound so educated yourself, maybe you could try forming an argument rather than trying unsuccessfully to insult people.
    If you're that easily insulted, your ego's going to take a lot of bruising here on boards. Have you looked up the answer to Sceptre's question yet? He's right, you know.

If you're that easily insulted, your ego's going to take a lot of bruising here on boards. Have you looked up the answer to Sceptre's question yet? He's right, you know.

Phew... found something:

Ireland now only EU state not to restrict access
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2004/0205/1049549205HM1EUROPE.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think you will find that Social Welfare regulations have been tightened up since that article.

http://www.welfare.ie/press/pr04/pr020304.html

• Advertisement

No, you said you believe other counties waived their right to impose restrictions. Barrett said they did not. Matt Cooper should have knew if Barrett was telling the truth, and then pointed it out. Thats what makes an interview and an interviewer.

Again, you're blaming Cooper for Barrett spinning a tale. I doubt anyone but you would accept that anyone could be interviewed by, say, a newspaper after a radio interview and say "If what I said was incorrect then the interview should have spotted it so bugger off".

To set the record straight, what other EU counties waived the right to impose restrictions on the immigration of workers from new EU counties?
    The UK has the same restrictions as Ireland. Workers have to register as a formality (it's a rubber stamp for records & hence isn't a restriction) except for self-employed who can roll in immediately but aren't entitled to benefits for a year. Here in Ireland they're not entitled to benefits for two years (hey, look, we're actually /more/ restrictive than the UK!). Denmark allows full residence for any workers from the new states as long as they are in fact workers (ie in a job), whereupon they gain the right to full benefits automatically.

Malta and Cyprus are of course exempted from any restrictions on movement anywhere in the EU.

Poland has decided to only freely let in workers from the UK and Ireland (workers from /all/ other EU member states will require permits), Hungary is running with a reciprocal agreements arrangement. Sweden is obviously continuing with its current measure of simply requiring a job offer for a skilled position for at least seven hours a week to gain entry. This is a restriction though, which is why it's in this paragraph.

Originally posted by pdh
    Why do people always start using derogatory terms when they want to oppose people who raise issues like illegal immigration. Maybe they want to frighten ordinary people away from the debate until the issue is out of control and then we as a society will have to face real racism and ghettos just like the UK

Oh by the way, the racism that is out there is not that mush of a problem, and it does not all originate from the native Irish.

It is my opinion that he is facist and a racist - "Keep Ireland for the Irish". I view this as a racist statement. Then again that is just my opinion and I will exercise my right to not vote for him.

With regard to the debate about illegal Immigration I really am interested in discussing this with people. To be honest I don't know what the solution should be but I do feel we need to help people that are less well off than we are. I'm interested to hear why some people in this country are so scared of "non-nationals"? I know many people who feel this referendum is a good idea and some who don't. Personally I'm still idir dhá comhairle.

Do you really believe the racism out there is not really a problem? Friends of mine of aisian descent are dealing with it on a daily basis.

Who are the native Irish? Are they descendents of the normans, celts, vikings, spanish, english or do we need to go back a bit further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭PaulHughesWH

Is this typical of the reasoning ability of Justin Barrett supporters? Since when does freedom of speech mean the right not to be disagreed with? Who here has suggested that Justin Barrett should not be allowed to speak his mind?

I vehemently disagree with pretty much everything Justin Barrett has to say, but I will vigorously defend his right to say it - just as I will vigorously defend everyone else's right to lambaste his views.

Then why take the silly "Nazi" crap any further?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but was there not some association between Justin Barrett and some far-right German party? I'm not having a go but I had heard something to that effect and I was wondering if it was true?

When did I use the word "Nazi" in this discussion? I'm exercising my right to disagree with Justin and his supporters. If you think I'm wrong, feel free to enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I tought that people with views like Justin Barrett were uneducated, but maybe i'm wrong. All i know about the guy is what i have read on this board -personally that is all i want to know.
    I am curious to know what he thinks about the millions of Irish that have emigrated to EVERY country in the world and have set up communities. Are they Deserters?Spongers?Refugees? please please - define for me.

And if your arguement is going to be "Well we went and worked" then save it - we drank, fought, robbed, and worked.

You say there are too many Chinese - well i would like to see you try do some of the work the students do when they come here. Fair play to them that's one tough job dealing with a chipper full of drunk irish at night.

Before you tell me there are too many foreigners not working - then find out why they are not working - it's probably because they are not allowed.

i could go on and on .....

I will accept an answer from any of his supporter because ye all seem to be sharing the same brain....

I await with patience...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

Does this answer your question Ryvita !

From the Irish Times

Mr Justin Barrett, the chief spokesman of the No to Nice campaign and a leading figure in the Youth Defence anti-abortion group, has close contacts with an extreme right-wing party in Germany which the authorities there believe has "Nazi characteristics".

Mr Barrett has attended conferences and spoken at an event organised by Germany's National Democratic Party (NPD). Two years ago he attended an NPD rally in the Bavarian city of Passau as a representative of Youth Defence. His name appears as one of the "honorary guests" at the event in Die Deutsche Stimme (The German Voice), the NPD party newspaper. The NPD described the rally, the largest by the party to date, as a day of national resistance. It was held in May 2000, and over 6,000 party members attended.

Other honorary guests included an Italian right-wing extremist and a former Nazi SS officer, who received a standing ovation.

Last month, when allegations about his links with the German organisation were first made in a Sunday newspaper, Mr Barrett threatened to sue it. He also threatened legal action against other media organisations, including The Irish Times.

Yesterday however, senior figures in the NPD and its youth wing confirmed his involvement.

"Justin Barrett was an honorary guest at our event in Passau. I invited him. He sat with the delegates," said Mr Holger Apfel, the deputy leader of the NPD. "We have been in contact with his group since 1996. We are friendly with his Youth Defence organisation."

When this was put to Mr Barrett, he declined to confirm or deny that he attended the event.

"That will be dealt with by the High Court," he said. "This is a smear campaign started by that gutter newspaper the Sunday Mirror and obviously The Irish Times is now working on it as part of this campaign by the Yes side."

The Irish Times has learned that in addition to his NPD contacts, Mr Barrett has a long-standing relationship with the party's youth organisation, the Young National Democrats (JN), a recruiting ground for the NPD. Mr Sascha Rossmüller, leader of JN, said he had been in contact with Mr Barrett "for several years". Youth Defence "shares many important interests" with the JN and is "an important part of our international network", said Mr Rossmüller. Other organisations in the network include the National Front in Britain and Italy's extremist group, Forza Nuova. The German government applied two years ago to the country's highest court to have the NPD banned. The government argues that the party poses a threat to democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

if only these guys were not picked last for football the world might be a better place

Justin - dude - franky says RELAX

Yes Wolff I think that pretty much covers it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Funny...If Richard Boyd SWP Left wing extremist Barret was on Today FM yez wouldn't be all here jumpin up and down screaming and threatening people with bans for soundbiting. If some stood up and called for a Muslim Irish parliament you get down on your knees and welcome their ideas. You can call for open borders and lefty socialist utopias but when some guy who doesn't like abortion, staunchly roman catholic, isn't too keen on immigration voices his opinion ....he's a godam Nazi!!! I'm not too keen on Barrett's anti secular ideas myself but he's dead right on immigration and crime. Now if we had someone with the calibre of and the late Pim Fortyn or Jorg Haider...I'd vote No1 any day.

Advertisement