Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longhorn?

Options
  • 10-05-2004 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

Anybody using a beta version of this yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Had a very young version of it there a few months back, the whole thing was "Under Construction" so umm i formated quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Had 4051 for a while. Changed it around a bit, installed a few apps. After a while they fecked up, so i got pissed off and slapped in winXp. IT AINT WORTH IT MAN!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yep, its not worth it. Just stick to xp till it comes out offically

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

is the GUI much different to XP? anything cool, like the ability to browse 2 folders in explorer to aid moving files...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Theres screenshots all over the net. Try googling for some. Theres nothing all that impressive that I could see, Folder / app graphics are a bit more swishy, theres a sidebar feature (just a bigger XP start menu moved to the side or something). Basically its the XP GUI nightmare gone ever further wrong :)

A lot of its changes are under the hood, WinFS, Avalon, XAML ... plus an awful lot could be set to change - as the release date has been pushed back to 2006 or 2007. Microsoft also released recommended specs for it: linkage
    "Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    is the GUI much different to XP? anything cool, like the ability to browse 2 folders in explorer to aid moving files...?
    tbh
    i've been using that for the past 6 years... nice of microsoft to finally catch on:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have the very latest version that was released last week it is slowly becoming a polished OS but as we all have to remember it has not even reached beta stage yet. The new file system WinFS is quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by tman
    tbh
    i've been using that for the past 6 years... nice of microsoft to finally catch on:rolleyes:

Start > Run > winfile

:) Damn, doesnt seem to be in 2k / XP ... o well. They used to have that functionality :)
    Originally posted by TCP/IP
    The new file system WinFS is quite cool.

Any examples of what new stuff it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by hostyle
    Any examples of what new stuff it does?

The only feature demonstrated so far is the automatic parsing of document metadata during copying. Quite handy really for searching and the like, but nothing that XP didn't allude to anyway. Hopefully there'll be a lot more to come when they finally reach Beta 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

4051 did'nt have PPoe so that was the disk formatted for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Pfft nothing new in it that you can't get in other OS's (MacOSX or Linux)
    wow IE has pop-up blocking thats such a cool new feature :p
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

4051 was shíte but I did like their big big clock ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Originally posted by hostyle
    Microsoft also released recommended specs for it: linkage

this?

"Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today."

Those arnt specs relesed by MS and even if they were , whats the point of the "1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link;":confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by bus77
    Those arnt specs relesed by MS and even if they were , whats the point of the "1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link;":confused:

so a virus can spread faster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

There are several builds of Longhorm (4051 , 4053 , 4054 , 4074).
    Which one to install (for testing) , does it need any serial number !
    Does it need any patches ..........

thanks for any help you provide.....
    cheers,
    RHN
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

Have any one of you succeded in running or installing

Longhorn 4074 build (latest win HEC one)..

cheers,
    RHN

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have 4074 installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

4074 should be good. I've got it on my laptop & a few dev machines and it's flying along.....

just a tip - lots of RAM and a mid-range processor are essential for decent performance.

Tip - stop the WinFS services if you don't anticipate using them in your code. This will speed it up a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

They have yet to debut the next gen GUI they're using with it. Apparently it's 3D. (Codenamed Avalon I believe).

From what I've heard it's pretty revolutionary, the Xbox dashboard was aparently a very early version of it. Of course they're not releasing it in the betas so the evil Linux doesn't steal it.

Disclaimer: I actually use Mandrake as my primary OS!

• Advertisement
Advertisement